Frank Lampard

DavidEU

Hmm saw an interview with him and he said he wants to? Quick google shows loads of comments around August that he wanted to? Maybe it was just wishful thinking on his part - if he's done nothing about it...

Ive heard him say he is interested in property development has built up quite a port folio IMO he would make an excellent coach but Chelsea under Roman isn't

a career . Not a marriage more a one night stand

He may have played more than 100 games already but most of them comes in Brazil. Different from playing in Europe. And I don't think you can judge a book by its cover by saying he may not look inexperienced. He's still young and need guidance.

He's also been given the Number 10 shirt for Brazil two years before they hold the World Cup, was MOTM on his debut in the Champions League and hasn't looked overawed at any point. In fact I think his workrate and toughness has surprised a lot of people.

Just because we won those games without him, that doesn't mean his ultimately useless. He may not have shone against Corinthians but what about the one against Everton? Sometimes it's just not all about his experience but also that in terms of popping up in the right areas to score the vital goals for us. The likes of Giggs and Scholes have done that in the past for United even if their performances may be average.

He'll never be useless, but it's about measuring his worth to the team versus the cost of keeping him in the squad be it financially or simply as another player in front of youngster who NEED a chance at some point.

Against Corinthians he was anonymous. Against Everton I thought the goals masked a lot of not very good things if I'm honest. Was his 'experience' switch turned off in the first 30 minutes for instance? I think his problem is akin to what Carlo said about Joe Cole towards the end of his career - the ball tends to slow down when it gets to him. It's not about tika-taka but simply moving the ball around the pitch, and I defy you to watch the likes of Oscar, Mata and Hazard do it and not say that Lamps is a beat behind.

It's not all about just the age. It's the experience of being in the hunt for trophies through the very tough moments and actually winning it. Yes, players like Cahill, Ivanovic, Mata, Torres may have won a number of trophies but compared that to the experience of Lampard's and you will find a stark contrast. It may seem like nothing but it's an invaluable asset to have.r year.

I'm reminded of Hansen saying 'you'll never win anything with kids', except we don't have kids. Ideally we'd have the Czech captain, a former England captain, the most capped English left-back, Serbia's captain and players with enough medals and trophies to keep Arsenal fans sated for decades.

As for the Arsenal point, we aren't going to be them if we lose Lamps. We've bought players with the ability to cover his absence. I've seen these kids play, I've seen them step up and I personally think the future is bright for this club with or without Frank Lampard and the fact that I can say that for the first time in a decade tells me that the club is doing the right thing.

Ive heard him say he is interested in property development has built up quite a port folio IMO he would make an excellent coach but Chelsea under Roman isn't

a career . Not a marriage more a one night stand

Agree once he takes the hot-seat he's likely to be fired :(

I hope Zola doesn't come here - couldn't handle that happening to him - would REALLY shake my foundations of trust in CFC

Whatever Lamps does, hope it works out for him.

Agree once he takes the hot-seat he's likely to be fired :(

I hope Zola doesn't come here - couldn't handle that happening to him - would REALLY shake my foundations of trust in CFC

Whatever Lamps does, hope it works out for him.

Don't worry about Zola ...he has far too much sense to take a job with Roman

Don't worry about Zola ...he has far too much sense to take a job with Roman

I really hope so - he's a Chelsea legend though, look at how many posters at the ground have Zola on them :)

I think you are right though, after seeing what happened to RDM I expect him and other managers to think twice...

I think that Super Frank will sign a new contract in the end of the season , he is a winner, and a winner thinks more about winning football matches that money in my opinion, he has a great mentality and will accept the offer of the board.I think that the board didnt want to talk about a possible contract for Lampsy beacuse of his injuries but they can't just belive that this good form is only due to the good work of the team , the return of Lamps has certainly played a big part , and the match of Everton prouves that mister Lampard has still a lot to offer.What i fear is that Lampard will receive an offer from a big club...

I want Lampard to stay as much as the next Chelsea fan, but can we use the with and without result's this season to prove his importance?

The start of our bad run coincided with Azpilcueta coming into the team, and he wwas arguably our only shining light during that bad run.

I want Lampard to stay as much as the next Chelsea fan, but can we use the with and without result's this season to prove his importance?

The start of our bad run coincided with Azpilcueta coming into the team, and he wwas arguably our only shining light during that bad run.

In the case of Lampard , i think yes we can.He is not like other players, he is decisive, he is the heart of the team , the leader , the captain.

Well, partly, I think yes. Ofc, the matches are always different and stats often aren't that meaningful, but a central midfielder has a much bigger impact on the overall match than a right back. If he fucks it up, every defending side struggles. And also, I wouldn't compare a legend like Lampard with a new signing like Azpi. Yes, Azpi plays his part, too, and he's getting better every game, but Frank just has a very different impact on the team in terms of psychology. He's a leader and was just what we needed in that bad run, when JT was also missing.

He's also been given the Number 10 shirt for Brazil two years before they hold the World Cup, was MOTM on his debut in the Champions League and hasn't looked overawed at any point. In fact I think his workrate and toughness has surprised a lot of people.

True, I don't deny that at all. I like him as a player and appreciates what he can offer off the ball which some of the work Oscar does have often gone unnoticed. That said though, I don't think it's appropriate at all to say he doesn't need any guidance etc from the more senior pros just because of the good things he has done as you mentioned. He's still young, still got a lot to learn and improve himself. I'm sure despite all the recognition and praises he has received, Oscar will tell that it's great to be learning of someone like Lampard's with all his experience and what he has achieved. Heck, think even any young and upcoming midfielders will say the same.

He'll never be useless, but it's about measuring his worth to the team versus the cost of keeping him in the squad be it financially or simply as another player in front of youngster who NEED a chance at some point.

Get your point but like I pointed out earlier, why don't the club try to talk to Lampard about the contract extension? At least negotiate with him and see how it goes. See if Lampard is willing to take a wage cut and being paid say around 50-60k p/w as well as the reduction in game time like Giggs and Scholes does at United. If Lampard doesn't agree, then fine. We'll move and at least we know the club wants to keep him. But right now, they don't seem to be doing anything or heck, even coming out to say something. All we are hearing is the constant tabloids and BS being reported in the media.

What if Lampard is willing to take a massive wage cut and play the odd game here and there like Giggs and Scholes? We'll have a useful experience player to come in and do a job if and when needed. And his reduction in game time would not interfere with the likes of McEachran, Oscar, Ramires, De Bruyne etc starting games.

Against Corinthians he was anonymous. Against Everton I thought the goals masked a lot of not very good things if I'm honest. Was his 'experience' switch turned off in the first 30 minutes for instance? I think his problem is akin to what Carlo said about Joe Cole towards the end of his career - the ball tends to slow down when it gets to him. It's not about tika-taka but simply moving the ball around the pitch, and I defy you to watch the likes of Oscar, Mata and Hazard do it and not say that Lamps is a beat behind.

Let's not be nitpicking here about Lampard's performance in that first 30 minutes when everyone was just as bad. Thing is when everyone got their act together, Lampard got going too. His performance may be wasn't as eye-catching as during his hey day or brilliant but he still has a knack and that instinct of scoring those crucial goals for us. Like I said, his performances may be average but if he can get us a couple of goals here in vital games like this, then I don't see why we shouldn't keep him especially if he's willing to take a wage cut and accept reduction in game time. SAF managed Giggs and Scholes well in this aspect.

I'm reminded of Hansen saying 'you'll never win anything with kids', except we don't have kids. Ideally we'd have the Czech captain, a former England captain, the most capped English left-back, Serbia's captain and players with enough medals and trophies to keep Arsenal fans sated for decades.

As for the Arsenal point, we aren't going to be them if we lose Lamps. We've bought players with the ability to cover his absence. I've seen these kids play, I've seen them step up and I personally think the future is bright for this club with or without Frank Lampard and the fact that I can say that for the first time in a decade tells me that the club is doing the right thing.

Look, I know Lampard isn't going to be with us forever as he will leave or retire sooner or later and while we may have bought creative and flair players that are better than Lampard, there is no money in the world that can buy the experience he has, in which he can transmit and share with these players. No doubt we have some players who have won several trophies already but given the influx of players we want to bring in whether it's purchase from another club or promoting youth within the club, Lampard can still prove vital!

He, IMO, still has lots to offer on and off the pitch and I don't see why we should be letting him go so soon, not now anyway.

i think we are putting the wage debate out of proportion. since 2010 summer lets see who has left the club - ballack,cole,deco,belletti,carvalho (in the summer of 2010), zhirkov,anelka,alex(in 2011) and drogba, kalou and bosingwa (in summer of 2012) with malouda,sturridge and benayoun with probably essein, cole and lampard. add to that torres (who i think would probably leave us in the summer at least)

transfers in - benayoun,ramires,torres,luiz(2010),mata,lukaku, courtouis,romeu,bryune,cahill(2011),marin,oscar,azpi,hazard,moses(2012).

[meireles and youth players not included as i would expect their wages to not be that much of an issue]

while our transfers in have been untested and young players (for the most part) who would probably be at 50% or at max 75% of the wages of the players that have left us (almost every one on the out list was more than an accomplished player and i wont be suprised if most of them earned more than 100k pw).

considering the type of players we have brought in and that we anyways have probably the thinnest squad of the top 6-7 clubs in the epl, i would not think wages to be the sole concern or for that matter even the main concern.

i think its more about roman and his fantasy of having a "young" team with no player over 30 being a part of it. the results this season have shown that we still do need lampard. he gives us that X-factor. he is not merely a luxury but a necessity. plus he has shown signs of taking a lesser role too (sub role) and that should not hinder in the development of some our players (without him if we keep losing then that defintely wont develop those players at all).

so i say a one year contract is a MUST...

I've said it on a number of occasions regarding Lampard - the biggest issue is that he is currently one of the top earners at the club and that's what makes his contract extension a huge problem.

It is a completely different situation to Scholes and Giggs who are not amongst the highest earners at United and have accepted being offered one year rolling contracts.

Wages is the biggest pitfall regarding FFP and we have made a concerted effort in the last couple of seasons to reduce our wage bill, both by offloading high earners and negotiating better with new recruits. Lampard earns between 2-3 times the amount that players like Mata, Moses and Oscar earn who are not just performing now, but are some of our best players moving forward for the rest of this decade. If we give Lampard a new 2-3 year contract on similar terms to what he earns now, it's not just his wages, but it provides a benchmark for players like Mata and Oscar who are playing week in week out to look at wanting to earn, particularly if Lampard isn't playing every game anymore.

The other issue is that it is very difficult for us to simply go in and offer Lampard a new contract on a significantly reduced salary and reduced role in the first team, when so many lucrative options have popped up over the past few seasons such as PSG, China and USA, not to mention our own country.

I agree that it will be a poor show if Chelsea don't even make the attempt to tie Lampard down to a new contract, but on the other hand I don't want us to offer stupid money to a player who despite being probably the greatest ever Chelsea player, is past his prime.

I've said it on a number of occasions regarding Lampard - the biggest issue is that he is currently one of the top earners at the club and that's what makes his contract extension a huge problem.

It is a completely different situation to Scholes and Giggs who are not amongst the highest earners at United and have accepted being offered one year rolling contracts.

Wages is the biggest pitfall regarding FFP and we have made a concerted effort in the last couple of seasons to reduce our wage bill, both by offloading high earners and negotiating better with new recruits. Lampard earns between 2-3 times the amount that players like Mata, Moses and Oscar earn who are not just performing now, but are some of our best players moving forward for the rest of this decade. If we give Lampard a new 2-3 year contract on similar terms to what he earns now, it's not just his wages, but it provides a benchmark for players like Mata and Oscar who are playing week in week out to look at wanting to earn, particularly if Lampard isn't playing every game anymore.

The other issue is that it is very difficult for us to simply go in and offer Lampard a new contract on a significantly reduced salary and reduced role in the first team, when so many lucrative options have popped up over the past few seasons such as PSG, China and USA, not to mention our own country.

I agree that it will be a poor show if Chelsea don't even make the attempt to tie Lampard down to a new contract, but on the other hand I don't want us to offer stupid money to a player who despite being probably the greatest ever Chelsea player, is past his prime.

I don't think anyone is asking the club to offer 2-3 years contract extension with similar terms like now. What most of us want to see us Lampard being offered at least 1 year contract with lower wages etc. It would be extremely silly to let him go now when he still got something to offer. Give him a 1 year contract(maybe with the option to extend another year) and see how it goes.

i think lamps has told that he wants to end his career at chelsea.

plus dont give a 2-3 year contract but a 1 year contract, probably even performance based or something. the main point is there is no effort from the club's side while in most cases its the other way around. lamps seems a decent guy, he knows he has got to phase out of the team sooner or later and that his role is going to get limited and that means a pay cut.

but the most important thing is the club itself is refusing to talk (as far as i know thru the media) and that is because we think we dont need him which is very big misconception.

True, I don't deny that at all. I like him as a player and appreciates what he can offer off the ball which some of the work Oscar does have often gone unnoticed. That said though, I don't think it's appropriate at all to say he doesn't need any guidance etc from the more senior pros just because of the good things he has done as you mentioned. He's still young, still got a lot to learn and improve himself. I'm sure despite all the recognition and praises he has received, Oscar will tell that it's great to be learning of someone like Lampard's with all his experience and what he has achieved. Heck, think even any young and upcoming midfielders will say the same.

I'm sure Oscar is happy to have Lamps to learn for in his first year.

In his second year, when he's expected to lead a country who lives and breathes football to a home World Cup he'd be quite happy with Lampard moving on. In fact won't Lampard's experience still be intact next year? There's always an argument to stop yourself from moving forward and stick with what's comfortable. It's why unambitious men have fat wives.

Get your point but like I pointed out earlier, why don't the club try to talk to Lampard about the contract extension? At least negotiate with him and see how it goes. See if Lampard is willing to take a wage cut and being paid say around 50-60k p/w as well as the reduction in game time like Giggs and Scholes does at United. If Lampard doesn't agree, then fine. We'll move and at least we know the club wants to keep him. But right now, they don't seem to be doing anything or heck, even coming out to say something. All we are hearing is the constant tabloids and BS being reported in the media.

If Lampard (and his experience) is unavaialble, why on Earth would he take a pay cut?

Let's not be nitpicking here about Lampard's performance in that first 30 minutes when everyone was just as bad. Thing is when everyone got their act together, Lampard got going too. His performance may be wasn't as eye-catching as during his hey day or brilliant but he still has a knack and that instinct of scoring those crucial goals for us. Like I said, his performances may be average but if he can get us a couple of goals here in vital games like this, then I don't see why we shouldn't keep him especially if he's willing to take a wage cut and accept reduction in game time. SAF managed Giggs and Scholes well in this aspect.

Ferguson doesn't have an Oscar or KDB or a McEachran. Ask any United fan and they'll tell you they need a midfielder and that Scholes and Giggs are liabilities now. I don't want to see my hero sitting on the bench, getting the odd game here and there.

He, IMO, still has lots to offer on and off the pitch and I don't see why we should be letting him go so soon, not now anyway.

Because he costs more than what he offers in the eyes of the board. That's how these things work. Now we can point to errors they've made, but we're replacing a legend and we have some of the most fantastic options any club could wish for.

Oscar needs to play next year. This is a point that is going to be overlooked by a few and dismissed by more, but he's one of the hottest young prospects on Planet Earth and he's our's. He's going to be 22, it's going to be bumpy but I think he's about as good a replacement as we could hope for.

I'm sure Oscar is happy to have Lamps to learn for in his first year.

In his second year, when he's expected to lead a country who lives and breathes football to a home World Cup he'd be quite happy with Lampard moving on. In fact won't Lampard's experience still be intact next year? There's always an argument to stop yourself from moving forward and stick with what's comfortable. It's why unambitious men have fat wives.

That's just a selective opinion. To say he doesn't need Lampard next season anymore just because Oscar is expected to lead his country is absolutely ludicrous. Any player out would tell you that they would want to learn from experience players as much as possible and as long as possible.

If Lampard (and his experience) is unavaialble, why on Earth would he take a pay cut?

Why would he be unavailable? And why are people even jumping to conclusions that he won't take a wage cut? He hasn't even said a single thing about it!

Oscar needs to play next year. This is a point that is going to be overlooked by a few and dismissed by more, but he's one of the hottest young prospects on Planet Earth and he's our's. He's going to be 22, it's going to be bumpy but I think he's about as good a replacement as we could hope for.

I didn't say that if Lampard stays, the likes of Oscar won't be playing every week. If Lampard stays, then he will know that he won't be playing every week and players like Oscar, De Bruyne etc will mostly be playing in his place. It's just that we can use his experience to come off the bench if we need a goal or two and he can help off the pitch as well!

Seems that people are just jumping to conclusions that if Lampard stays, then the younger players won't play and that Lampard will be starting every week!

I don't think anyone is asking the club to offer 2-3 years contract extension with similar terms like now. What most of us want to see us Lampard being offered at least 1 year contract with lower wages etc. It would be extremely silly to let him go now when he still got something to offer. Give him a 1 year contract(maybe with the option to extend another year) and see how it goes.
i think lamps has told that he wants to end his career at chelsea.

plus dont give a 2-3 year contract but a 1 year contract, probably even performance based or something. the main point is there is no effort from the club's side while in most cases its the other way around. lamps seems a decent guy, he knows he has got to phase out of the team sooner or later and that his role is going to get limited and that means a pay cut.

but the most important thing is the club itself is refusing to talk (as far as i know thru the media) and that is because we think we dont need him which is very big misconception.

Yes I don't deny this - I said in my previous post that if Chelsea don't make the attempt with a new contract it will be a poor show and a discredit to the service Lampard has offered over the years.

However my point was even if this happens I still can't see both parties finding an agreement:

Chelsea cannot offer the terms Lampard is currently on - but he could earn such money elsewhere.

Chelsea can no longer guarantee Lampard will play on a regular basis - tons of clubs can offer him this.

Chelsea are not likely to offer Lampard more than one year rolling - tons of clubs will offer him a longer deal.

No matter his love for the club, I just cannot see him accepting a one year deal on reduced terms with a reduced role.

Yes I don't deny this - I said in my previous post that if Chelsea don't make the attempt with a new contract it will be a poor show and a discredit to the service Lampard has offered over the years.

However my point was even if this happens I still can't see both parties finding an agreement:

Chelsea cannot offer the terms Lampard is currently on - but he could earn such money elsewhere.

Chelsea can no longer guarantee Lampard will play on a regular basis - tons of clubs can offer him this.

Chelsea are not likely to offer Lampard more than one year rolling - tons of clubs will offer him a longer deal.

No matter his love for the club, I just cannot see him accepting a one year deal on reduced terms with a reduced role.

i think this is where we differ big time. i think lamps will (infact during the rdm period he became our super sub for 3-4 games before starting the noordsdjaeland game and getting injured). accept a lesser role and probably a bit of a pay cut. atleast we can hope he does in case the club comes back to its senses.