Frank Lampard

DavidEU

No matter his love for the club, I just cannot see him accepting a one year deal on reduced terms with a reduced role.

Well, in a way, if he can accept a 1 year deal with reduced wages and game time, then he would have backed his words about him loving the club and us fans.

That's just a selective opinion. To say he doesn't need Lampard next season anymore just because Oscar is expected to lead his country is absolutely ludicrous. Any player out would tell you that they would want to learn from experience players as much as possible and as long as possible.

Actually I was responding to your opinion on what Oscar is thinking with my supposition on what he would be thinking next year. I wasn't saying we don't need Lamps because Oscar is expected to lead his country - I said that Oscar would be happier without someone in front of him for a starting place. Ok?

Why would he be unavailable? And why are people even jumping to conclusions that he won't take a wage cut? He hasn't even said a single thing about it!

ns that if Lampard stays, then the younger players won't play and that Lampard will be starting every week!

I thought the wider 'conclusion' was that he would take a pay cut. The simple fact is we don't know, but you keep on telling me our invaluable his experience is to the team - if it's invaluable, why would he take a pay cut?

I didn't say that if Lampard stays, the likes of Oscar won't be playing every week. If Lampard stays, then he will know that he won't be playing every week and players like Oscar, De Bruyne etc will mostly be playing in his place. It's just that we can use his experience to come off the bench if we need a goal or two and he can help off the pitch as well!

Seems that people are just jumping to conclusions that if Lampard stays, then the younger players won't play and that Lampard will be starting every week!

Again you're inferring conclusions that no-one is making. I've said from the start that we could have a scenario where we have 5 players after one spot in the team. Keeping him around because he's like a fucking mascot on Blockbuster is a little unfair on a guy who still thinks he has a lot to offer.

Personally, I think the experience argument is a little overdone. We've done well without JT's experience and other players have stepped up when challenged. Sticking with Lamps might be comfortable and familiar, but I'd personally like to look to the future and give the three youngsters who cost less combined than Lampard's current weekly wage a chance to step-up.

And I think the club might think the same.

Actually I was responding to your opinion on what Oscar is thinking with my supposition on what he would be thinking next year. I wasn't saying we don't need Lamps because Oscar is expected to lead his country - I said that Oscar would be happier without someone in front of him for a starting place. Ok?

Like I said, if Lampard stays, he won't be ahead in the pecking order in front of Oscar because if it happens, his game time will be reduced and he would have agreed to it.

I thought the wider 'conclusion' was that he would take a pay cut. The simple fact is we don't know, but you keep on telling me our invaluable his experience is to the team - if it's invaluable, why would he take a pay cut?

You said we don't know but yet you seem to keep on assuming that he won't accept a wage cut.

Why would he take a wage cut? Because Lampard isn't one known for being a money-minded person. I supposed in a way, if Lampard really loves the club and fans, then he would stay and take a wage cut. It's not like he is in desperate need for more money.

Again you're inferring conclusions that no-one is making. I've said from the start that we could have a scenario where we have 5 players after one spot in the team. Keeping him around because he's like a fucking mascot on Blockbuster is a little unfair on a guy who still thinks he has a lot to offer.

5 players for 1 spot?! 1 spot?!!

Personally, I think the experience argument is a little overdone. We've done well without JT's experience and other players have stepped up when challenged. Sticking with Lamps might be comfortable and familiar, but I'd personally like to look to the future and give the three youngsters who cost less combined than Lampard's current weekly wage a chance to step-up.

And I think the club might think the same.

In that case, let's just agree to disagree then since we don't look like agreeing with each other. :)

5 players for 1 spot?! 1 spot?!!

If we look at Mikel or Luiz taking one spot, then that's Ramires, McEachran, Lampard, De Bruyne and Oscar going for another in our strongest line-up. That's based on us not signing another player too or recalling Chalobah. You can say that it's 7 players into 2 spots if you want.

Either way, the reasons for the board deciding to let him go are fairly sound. The experience argument is great but then you have to acknowledge when we've missed inexperiences players like Terry in the CL or recent weeks and survived or when experienced players simply haven't stepped up and 'transmitted' their knowledge to other players.

Ultimately your argument is this;

To the whole idea that Lampard should be given any sort of contract because of what he can teach the younger players (something that never got to me as why its the whole grail of having younger players) there was an interesting article in The Times that puts questions on this whole mentalility (and shows fridge thinking to the idea).

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/chelsea-right-in-refusing-to-be-held-down-by-lampards-anchoring/story-fnb64oi6-1226546070246

People argue that Lampard can provide a good example to the present generation of players through his work ethic and discipline, but this has to be the most spurious argument of all. If any club feel it is appropriate to pay someone close to £16 million over two years to set an example, they have lost their sanity. Footballers should work hard because of personal ambition and a strong culture, not because of a teammate. If the latter is necessary, the club is pretty much finished.

To the whole idea that Lampard should be given any sort of contract because of what he can teach the younger players (something that never got to me as why its the whole grail of having younger players)

I think it was in Football Manager 2010 that you could have an older player mentor a younger player.

Essentially we need to have Lamps around so we can right-click on his name and have him mentor the youngsters (although most of our promising youngsters are out on loan).

Decent article by the way.

I think it was in Football Manager 2010 that you could have an older player mentor a younger player.

Essentially we need to have Lamps around so we can right-click on his name and have him mentor the youngsters (although most of our promising youngsters are out on loan).

Decent article by the way.

One of the biggest positives with his 'experience' is being able to pass on the importance of games such as those away at Leeds or QPR which have massive meaning to us fans. The foreign players know the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool and how big those games are, but being from London amongst a cluster of rival clubs, and our hatred of all things north of the midlands, there are a lot of games that really matter which the foreign players need to be aware of. Mata said himself that Lampard told the current players of the importance of beating Leeds.

But this should only need pushing once or twice for other players to realise that importance. If and when we play Leeds again, the likes of Mata and David Luiz should be aware of its importance and pass that on to new players.

There is a reason he's called Super Frankie Lampard. Let me tell ya, I feel like a right dick for saying bad things about him during AVB saga. Seems that he knew better all along.

I understand. It was said in the heat of the moment, it's like having fight with a person you love. Sometimes you just say things you wish you never said.

There is a reason he's called Super Frankie Lampard. Let me tell ya, I feel like a right dick for saying bad things about him during AVB saga. Seems that he knew better all along.
And I remember how angry and dissapointed I was for having to read all those things about about Lampard, Terry and Drogba after AVB era.
Yes they had some kind of player power but they had to in the club with so much pressure and expectations and without anything like long term stability. They kept this team together under all kinds of pressure ( well, they were responsible for some), bad managment from above, some managers inadequate and unable to meet the requirements from the above.
AVB for example, was coach with potential, but was wrong match with the team we had back than on so many levels. He just couldn't cope with it and made many mistakes. He would be much better match with our current team.
Lampard is leader and motivator of this team, and when was in form, he played his part damn well. Doesn't matter how many talented players we have, to win trophies you need leaders. And we will struggle to find another ones while having fans singing anti-coach songs and new manager every 6 months.
Yes I was dissapointed, but I knew back than that every fan who wrote those stuff about them , will look for players exactly the same as them, after their departure.
It's not even about skills, it's about much needed stability, the only one we had with our trigger happy owner.
Yes we had great players before, but they didn't have to win 10 trophies in 8 years, under 8 different managers , with too many of them mistakenly strayed in the workplace.

As Term said before. The club must approach his departure with the utmost respect and sensitivity. We're talking respectable testimonial matches, respect and homage paid to Lampard for all his services etc. They cannot disregard him.. It simply won't be an option after the Di Matteo fiasco.

Yeah, I think the piece is accurate. The stuff about FFP is clearly nonsense and he clearly has the talent to still play at a high enough level. Roman wants to clean house and set things anew for a new manager and a new style. The club will have to send him off in style and we have to hope that he goes to L.A. and not somewhere like ManU which would be devastating.

Well, in a way, if he can accept a 1 year deal with reduced wages and game time, then he would have backed his words about him loving the club and us fans.

Spot on. The only problem is that it doesn't sound like the club is in any sort of discussion with him.

2 things :

- The fans and Lampard himself can say all they want about the matter but the board's recent conduct has provided ample evidence that fan opinion doesn't figure prominently in their considerations

- If wages are the issue, how can they continue to shell out 180k a week on Torres yet baulk over a lesser figure for someone who offers much more currently and will likely do so even over another season, age nothwithstanding?