The Mourinho Thread

Ivanovic would start over Ferreira, Azpilicueta would start over Gallas, Matic/Fabregas would start over Tiago, Hazard would start over Duff and Costa would start over the 2005 Drogba

Yeah on second thought agree that Hazard would be a regular during that era.

Agree with Iva over PF. Not sure about Azpi over Gallas, i think you can toss a coin for that.

I was thinking more of Lampard Makelele Essien as the CMs. Which i wouldnt touch TBH.

Agree to disagree about the CF. 2005 Drogba over Costa for me.

Re-watching the game with calm nerves makes me more appreciative of the tactics. In a perfect world we want to be the champs and at the same time dominate the opponent with free flowing passes. But it all comes down to risk and reward. Chelsea went into the game with the objective of preventing Man U from getting the full 3 points, simple as that.

Yeah on second thought agree that Hazard would be a regular during that era.

Agree with Iva over PF. Not sure about Azpi over Gallas, i think you can toss a coin for that.

I was thinking more of Lampard Makelele Essien as the CMs. Which i wouldnt touch TBH.

Agree to disagree about the CF. 2005 Drogba over Costa for me.

if your talking about the 2004/05 team Essien wasnt at the club that season, and Costa is comfortably better then Drogba in 2005

if your talking about the 2004/05 team Essien wasnt at the club that season, and Costa is comfortably better then Drogba in 2005

Was thinking about 2005/2006 when i said 2005. comparing jose's second season vs his 'second' second season

And if you care only about pure entertainment. Just watch the highlights or goal compilations. Works both ways.

It's true but no one here is caring only about pure entertainment. There was no even one person suggesting such thing.

However a lot of people claim in a blatant way that they only care about result and being good Teletext team is the ultimate goal.

And for Mourinho to say after the game he spent the entire week preparing to play this way and how happy he was the game panned out the way it did was depressing.

:) This is gold. And how every player was a monster even though they couldn't play 3 consecutive passes.

Speaking personally, I don't consider myself a super fan but and I do care about the football that's played. I have two issues however:

Although some will disagree, I am convinced that this squad is not good enough to win the league playing on the front foot. I've seen it happen time and time and time again that clubs arrive expecting a battering but become emboldened by the fact that our players keep passing to them. We survive this habit when our shape caters for it but we are horribly exposed when it does not. Our squad is better than it has been in the recent past but it is still not good enough.

I am seldom frustrated by how we play but I often am by how poorly we play. @Blue Coloured Sky won't have it, but the the only difference between our league performances at Man City this season and last, is that in 2013/14 we played well there, while this term we did not. The shape of the side was exactly the same. Atletico are much admired, including by me. They don't play front foot, they play what Jose is now calling strategically but with the difference that their passing is more sound than ours. This allows them to move forward with greater purpose and effect and also allows them time to recover their shape before possession is lost.

When Jose returned I felt we were 8 players short. We've made progress in that regard but there are still too many weak links. If we are still having to play like this three years from now, I will be as angry as some others are. For now however, I am calm and happy. Because we have Jose.

I won't agree with it. But I clearly understand what you mean. You're very consistent with your opinion.

Even Jose with the interview with Chelsea TV last season said that he thinks that every manager has the right ideas and good intentions however it's the execution which decides. If the execution is not possible then you have try something different however I am sure that execution is possible and repeating last game against City is possible.

But I leave it now, because we clearly represent different schools here.

Ultimately we want the same and that's relieving. I'd only want to point to the fact that the next season is the real first season of building. The 2 seasons now are quick fixing, very probably to even have an opportunity of building in that 3rd season and not to lose the job before that, which I imagine would happen if he wouldn't deliver.

However you always want to check the work in progress. And so far I don't see that many has changed. We're still thriving in retrieving to our box and wait for set piece or bit of magic from one player. We aren't showing a progress in pressing abilities either, which is fundamental. About youth you don't even want to say anything. And we still play the football that 99,9% of people identifies us from and so many of them hate us (and I hate this too, because how long can you play like an inferior team in submission way).

If I would want only and only quick trophies, make no mistake, I'd give Jose the time without even checking and worrying about this at all. However Jose has clear end result to achieve which is not just winning but playing dominant, with our youth players and having clear identity. And then you see the comment at the top of my post and you think "how this guy wants to play dominant and with youths when he says that he even prepared the team to play in exact unwatchable way and he's so happy about players who couldn't pass ?". That's simply big red alert for me going forward. You just hope that something is going to change big time in his mind not to always come back to this style, which is so natural for him.

I trust Jose to get the things right at the end and sort this something-which-you-can't-call-playing-football out however the signs so far are not positive for his long term project.

I only touch this thing because as I was saying many times previously the quick fixes he has implemented are good and it works but I hope he doesn't come back to this ever in a couple of years. I sincerely hope that he won't have to when he builds the platform but I'm not too sure that you can change 50 something years old, thriving in the underdog mentality for years.

You mean the team that sat back the whole game figured out a little of what the other team was doing offensively?

Of course they did. The point is we play overly defensive, end of story. This "lack of form" isn't a true lack of form. It is a self inflicted one coming from passive and anxious play, that stems from the possibility of choking away the title. I can guarantee this "lack of form" will magically disappear as soon as we have the title locked up.

You can't sit here and in any way praise the defensive tactics as of recently. At the end of the day, there may be some ambiguity about the specifics of how we defended, in terms of funnelling or sending them to the wings, but we've been far too defensive lately, and it is making the team play worse, not better.

If we played our normal style, we'd be playing Barcelona right now, and we would have thumped this United side 4-2 or 5-2.

So you're saying that Jose said before the game: "Listen lads, you're all well paid professionals here and know a thing or two about tactics, I want you to get out there, sit back, figure out a way to stop their offensive system and key players and then do it!" :lol:

Let's be a tiny bit reasonable, shall we? Jose chose and worked on the tactics and should get the credit for them just like he gets all the stick when they don't work out.

And I'm not at all talking about our defensive approach at all nor am I defending our general approach to games. I'm talking about the tactics which very much were changed from "the usual tactics". I'm not even defending those tactics, I'm just saying that contrary to what you wrote, it was very clear that the tactics yesterday were very different than usual and adapted to united's play.

And I can and will praise tactics that managed to stop the system of the most in form team in the league. This is completely irrelevant of how attacking we were and what we looked to do with the ball. Regardless of how offensive you play, you still need to find the best way to defend again the opposition.

So you're saying that Jose said before the game: "Listen lads, you're all well paid professionals here and know a thing or two about tactics, I want you to get out there, sit back, figure out a way to stop their offensive system and key players and then do it!" :lol:

Let's be a tiny bit reasonable, shall we? Jose chose and worked on the tactics and should get the credit for them just like he gets all the stick when they don't work out.

And I'm not at all talking about our defensive approach at all nor am I defending our general approach to games. I'm talking about the tactics which very much were changed from "the usual tactics". I'm not even defending those tactics, I'm just saying that contrary to what you wrote, it was very clear that the tactics yesterday were very different than usual and adapted to united's play.

And I can and will praise tactics that managed to stop the system of the most in form team in the league. This is completely irrelevant of how attacking we were and what we looked to do with the ball. Regardless of how offensive you play, you still need to find the best way to defend again the opposition.

Brendan Rodgers in disguise that one.

Great result and that and we done a good job in containg their attacking threats however I do understand why even post-match why people would be frustrated. We got the win but when you consider United had their 2 best holding mids out in Carrick and Blind and arguably all three first choice CB out in Rojo, Jones and Evans I reckon if we attacked them we could have taken them to the cleaners even with Drogba up front. We had enough attacking flair to hurt them. I am happy we got the win because if it ended a draw I would be really angry about how we did not attack them.

I am not complaining like others simply because we on but everyone has a right to an opinion. I think we could have beaten United either way, playing the football we did yesterday or if we actually went out with an attcking approach.

I would love us to go and attack Arsenal and show them who the title pretenders and contenders are. We will see.

Great result and that and we done a good job in containg their attacking threats however I do understand why even post-match why people would be frustrated. We got the win but when you consider United had their 2 best holding mids out in Carrick and Blind and arguably all three first choice CB out in Rojo, Jones and Evans I reckon if we attacked them we could have taken them to the cleaners even with Drogba up front. We had enough attacking flair to hurt them. I am happy we got the win because if it ended a draw I would be really angry about how we did not attack them.

I am not complaining like others simply because we on but everyone has a right to an opinion. I think we could have beaten United either way, playing the football we did yesterday or if we actually went out with an attcking approach.

I would love us to go and attack Arsenal and show them who the title pretenders and contenders are. We will see.

Being so close to the trophy, is there any need to try and play attacking football then get caught on the counter attack and lose?