The Mourinho Thread

Chelsea go substance over style in win

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/marcotti-musings/62/post/2409279/jose-mourinho-chelsea-superb-at-grinding-out-results-barca-avoid-trap-tuchels-task-at-dortmund-writes-gabriele-marcotti

Interesting point from Marc:

"A more relevant question might be whether it was the right approach. To some, the mere fact that Chelsea won means it's vindicated, and that's fair enough. But the fact is the game could have taken a very different turn had Wayne Rooney's early shot actually gone in the net rather than fooling a fair chunk of United fans (and David De Gea) into thinking it had. That's the problem with playing in lockdown mode: if you happen to go behind, it's very difficult to come back."

Well that's exactly what happened against PSG. We did the same thing against United to PSG and it was bad ugly that everyone was complaining.....

This forum makes it look like a team that's playing the majority of the 90 minutes in their opposition's half can't win anything at all.

actually some people make it seem like there is just one way to play football. whats worse is that these are the same guys who crib the most if we lose while playing attacking football (spurs away).

Roman has never given an interview, so nobody knows what he truly wants. I think the idea of samba football was scrapped after the AVB debacle, regardless of whether you think we had the players to execute that vision or not. Sacking Mourinho in order to cultivate attractive football at the club will most likely only bring us back to a similar scenario being played out, results suffer/new manager/pressure to win, never ending cycle.

Sacking Mourinho ?! What the hell ?

No, Roman never ever gave an interview. I mentioned it earlier but I reiterate this again. In Ancelotti biography, Carlo brings back the memories about first meeting with Abramovich. The meeting was at hotel in Paris in May 2009. Roman said to him "I see the other teams with certain style of play like Barcelona but I don't see style in my team. Can you deliver that to me ?" . Apparently that was something that Roman emphasized the most. Carlo was struck how complex was Roman's knowledge about football and how specific he was about what he expects from his team, what style of play he wants etc.

Also Jose mentioned this about dozens and dozens of times how IN COOPERATION with the owner was agreed that Chelsea this time around want to achieve certain style of play, flair, style, finesse, beauty and happiness. He said this so many times that I don't know how you missed that.

Sacking Mourinho, absolutely no way. We see how we're going to improve in the summer. 3rd season will be about building platform for the future without too much quick fixing like in those 2 years. Only after then we can give final grades.

And I'm sure we're going to improve. Champions League is and always will be Mourinho and Abramovich aim. Jose left the Champions League early at Inter in his first season and even though he won the league in that time, he improved the team with 5 crucial players who helped him win the treble in the next season. So I am convinced that we will be better next season, though the question is for me if this will be quick fix improvement specifically for 3rd season Champions League raid or really long term improvement which set the project for years to eventually see dominant Chelsea.

No, Roman never ever gave an interview. I mentioned it earlier but I reiterate this again. In Ancelotti biography, Carlo brings back the memories about first meeting with Abramovich. The meeting was at hotel in Paris in May 2009. Roman said to him "I see the other teams with certain style of play like Barcelona but I don't see style in my team. Can you deliver that to me ?" . Apparently that was something that Roman emphasized the most. Carlo was struck how complex was Roman's knowledge about football and how specific he was about what he expects from his team, what style of play he wants etc.

Also Jose mentioned this about dozens and dozens of times how IN COOPERATION with the owner was agreed that Chelsea this time around want to achieve certain style of play, flair, style, finesse, beauty and happiness. He said this so many times that I don't know how you missed that.

Sacking Mourinho, absolutely no way. We see how we're going to improve in the summer. 3rd season will be about building platform for the future without too much quick fixing like in those 2 years. Only after then we can give final grades.

And I'm sure we're going to improve. Champions League is and always will be Mourinho and Abramovich aim. Jose left the Champions League early at Inter in his first season and even though he won the league in that time, he improved the team with 5 crucial players who helped him win the treble in the next season. So I am convinced that we will be better next season, though the question is for me if this will be quick fix improvement specifically for 3rd season Champions League raid or really long term improvement which set the project for years to eventually see dominant Chelsea.

The Carlo quotes were before the AVB experiment, which was my reference point. Jose has spoken about a certain way of playing, yet.. actions are speaking louder. In regards to Roman, after re-appointing him, he's either naive.. or isn't obsessed with style anymore.

I think that's called talking bs. Mou is an expert in this. Roman knew what he was getting when appointing him. He's only serious when talking about himself and his achievements.

"I think,” the Chelsea manager José Mourinho says, “I have a problem, which is I’m getting better at everything related to my job since I started. There has been evolution in many different areas – the way I read the game; the way I prepare the game; the way I train; the methodology… I feel better and better. But there is one point where I cannot change: when I face the media, I am never a hypocrite.”

I love this quote :lol: .

We had all our weapons against PSG and still didn't do jack shit. We parked the bus in the 1st leg and were very lucky to escape with a 1-1. Heck, we parked the bus vs Liverpool in the 1st leg of the COC semi-final with all our weapons against a team whose 1st XI isn't half as good as ours and with a lot of inexperienced players. That was arguably the first time we really played completely defensively for 90 minutes with no ambition to win. It is not a coincidence that Mourinho did this after Spurs beat us 5-3. He is naturally a very cautious manager and wanted to avoid another trashing against a good team.

I can't really fault him for not trying. We at least tried to play away to United and Liverpool to varying success earlier in the season. Even in those games, the team was lacking ideas in the final 3rd and didn't look like a team comfortable and confident enough to kill the game off. Which is Mourinho's overly cautious nature rubbing off on the players. Something that has cost his team's in the past, especially in the Champions league. Neville called it months ago (even though, obviously, he didn't want to publicly criticize Jose in the video). Almost prophetic.

(Skip the Scouse gibberish to minute 4:30)

I wonder how many years to come people will bring Atletico's and PSG's matches up... they just can't let go

Let them hate. I sure Jose isn't really tripping. He is The Best Gaffer the club has ever seen. The stats reflect this fact. The one stat that stands out to me....70% Winning percentage for CFC. I take that all day Every freakin Day!!!

Barcelona still would be very competitive without Messi, and to be honest saying Modric and Ramos are essential to Madrid are nonsensical at best...

just like they were against bayern (7-0)?

Messi is the reason behind that result. Typical comment comming from nonsensical member.

and an idiotic conclusion from an idiotic and asenine poster.

messi is the difference between a 7-0 spanking that barca got and a barca win against bayern. thats what messi does. thats the level of his impact on barca. i thought the argument was pretty straightforward to show how much barca depends on messi.

but i guess i was wrong to expect someone of your iq to connect a few missing dots.

I wonder how many years to come people will bring Atletico's and PSG's matches up... they just can't let go

do you think these people actually cheer for chelsea when we play a big game or do they just hope for a fuck up so that they can get more material to crib about.

honestly, i am leaning on the latter. i can almost see these guys crying and praying for a united equaliser in the dying moments. probably would have been more disappointed than the united fans when mike dean did not give a penalty.