The English Football Thread

Steve

Yeboii, on 14 Apr 2013 - 6:12 undefined, said:
While he does not do a Nazi salute or something on the field (like Van Persie did) I cant see why his political views matter at all... Being a democrat does not make you a better manager or something

dicanio.jpg

I'll just leave that here...

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Instead of papering over the cracks with implanting the goal-line technology, the FA should higher up its standards regarding the refereeing and, ultimately, form better referees.

I get what you are saying (and totally agree), but why one excludes the other?

The goal-line technology is very helpful and so does the FA need to improve the awful English refs...

On hindsight, it was probably a good thing we played Sunderland last week as opposed to this. They certainly looked much much better against Newcastle and especially, did not run out of steam like they last Sunday.

I get what you are saying (and totally agree), but why one excludes the other?

The goal-line technology is very helpful and so does the FA need to improve the awful English refs...

Hum, that wasn't what I was meant to say. I don't think that one excludes the other.

I am pretty pessimistic regarding the outcomes of that goal-line technology. To my eyes, the FA didn't do that out of virtue. I mean, they certainly know that the refereeing system is archaic compared to the modern football. They know it, though, because of a X or a Y reason, they're not willing to change that. But, on the other hand, they are also aware that football fans aren't happy at all with the refereeing. Thus, they face three possibilities : change things (but they will lose their own interests) ; don't move (but they risk to go at clash with fans) ; do what every governments or instances do, i.e. papering over the cracks.

Ever since the World-Cup in South-Africa, the trend has been the "goal line technology". That's what fans want. They are not dumb — they give us what we want. This way, we will be happy and the FA will look like a progressive organisation. And, in the meanwhile, their system won't change in the slightest. Know what I'm sayin' ? That's why I'm saying they're papering over the cracks. They do this to keep our attention away from the real problems.

And why am I pessimistic ? Because that is not their belief. It's bound to end up like the FFP and the 5th/6th referees in the box, like there is in Champions League and Europa league. Do these two things have changed the game, since they're on ? No, at least into my eyes. The referees in the boxes are pretty useless, for instance. They seldom intervene, and when they do, half of the time it's a wrong call.

On the paper, the goal-line technology is a good thing. But I believe that's a luxury, for the moment. Even if it works at the perfection, will it change a lot of things ? We have played about 70 games, this season... How many times that technology would have been useful ? At the top of my head, I don't recall any such situation.

Horne told BBC Sport: "There are occasions [when GLT is needed] and we've seen them here at Wembley, we've seen them in World Cups, we've seen them 11 or 12 times in the Premier League this season alone.

11 or 12 times, for 20 teams and 300+ matchs played. How many times this season in the league, have we suffered a game-changing error ? Certainly more than ten times. Multiply this figure by 20... That technology wouldn't have had any effect regarding the Agüero and Kompany cases ; nor regarding Cuntarito off-side. It won't have a significant change upon the refereeing quality... Football never had such a thing, it could survive and keep its quality without ! But it cannot keep its quality without a decent refereeing. In my opinion, the FA should rather fix the problem with the referees, and then they can implant that luxury.

But then again, we're agree, one doesn't exclude the other.

Instead of papering over the cracks with implanting the goal-line technology, the FA should higher up its standards regarding the refereeing and, ultimately, form better referees.

That's not the first time we're fucked over by the referee during an important/big match in England, over the last two years. Last year against Manchester United at Old Trafford (on the second goal, Nani was off-side ; the first one was not valid as well (I don't recall if Smalling was off-side, or if it was the free-kick which was invalide). And this year, against United at home, and the game of today.

And th it's not only against us. I've seen many, many refereeing error over the past two seasons — and I think you'll be agree with me on this. And, I mean, those are not "little" errors ; it's errors with consequence on the game. On the top of my head, I cannot recall many examples, but I can mention the game Coty-United, last year in the FA Cup, where Kompany had been sent-off. Also, this year, Chelsea Vs. Arsenal, where our first goal came from a Ramires foul which should have been whistled.

The refereeing is getting worse, and the game suffers from that. At this level of competition, an "on point" refereeing is needed, we're not in a sunday league, for Chirst sake. Football is changing — these old armchair leaders must follow that evolution, or move on and retire.

I agree. If they're not going to completely computerise refereeing then at least add a review system(like in cricket) or challenges (like in Tennis). Challenges and review system r the same since some of u might not know about cricket. The refs don't even get a punishment for their mistakes (expect Chris Foy got demoted to League Two after refereeing the UTD's 3-2 loss home to Spurs but he's one of the many refs who's got banned for not helping them).

Btw any of u guyz remember Peter Walton? He's refereeing in the USA now because he didn't please Fergie.