Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

I didn't see it, but read about it on twitter. Was it that bad? I hope it's nothing serious or it could mean that he won't go on loan till January.

Slid in and Scotland player went studs up onto his knee from above. Doubt it was intentional, but a bad challenge nonetheless.

England won 6-0 for those that care, Shelvey MOTM for me. Sterling, Redmond, Wickham, Lingard all played well.

"A decision is not made in two seconds - you have to listen to the club's ideas. You have to prepare young players from the academy, with the next generation coming through, like Nathaniel Chalobah, who will probably make it into the first-team squad next season.

Looks like Mourinho rates Chalobah very highly!

Really wonder where we plan on playing him, cb or dm?

I don't think he can make it as a CB in England. Imagine him marking the likes of Rickie Lambert, Andy Carol, or Petr Crouch.

EDIT: I actually thought this was Ake's thread :blush: So the above comments are meant about Ake not Chalobah :lol:

I really don't see the point of keeping him here this season. He won't learn anything from a couple of cameo appearances against Championship teams in the cups and someone we have never heard of in the Champions League group stages. It would be the same situation as was for McEachran and van Aanholt in 2010/11. Apparently there was interest in him from Premier League clubs in the close season so I don't see why we are holding on to him when he will be behind Terry, Cahill, Luiz, Ivanovic and possibly Kalas for a centre back position. He would also be behind Mikel, van Ginkel, Lampard, Ramires and Essien for a place in midfield.

Even if we loan him to a Championship side again it would still be better than having him with us all season. You can have Mourinho teach him everything in the book tactically but there is no point doing so if he isn't going to get a chance to put it into practice by playing regularly. He's still 18 but he needs regular playing time to progress mentally as well as physically.

To be honest I feel that way about a lot of our younger players. There are some that are ready to be loaned out. They have played for the under 21's and are mature enough to play professionally now and need to learn by making mistakes. If there is interest in players like Ake, Feruz, Blackman and Loftus Cheek we may as well loan them out.

^^

Yeah I was just coming here to ask the exact same thing! Why don't we simply loan him back to Watford? He fits well with the squad, he did well with the manager who also seems to like him. He still has a lot to learn from the Championship and would benefit immensely from a loan back there.