Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

Seems like he could go either way. His level of maturity is already mightily impressive and is the kind of thing we really need in our midfield, but it's simply a matter of minutes apparently. Personally I'd be inclined to give him a shot at the midfield spots in the rest of the pre-season games and decide then, but that risks him missing out on establishing himself at another club. Tough decision.

Seems like he could go either way. His level of maturity is already mightily impressive and is the kind of thing we really need in our midfield, but it's simply a matter of minutes apparently. Personally I'd be inclined to give him a shot at the midfield spots in the rest of the pre-season games and decide then, but that risks him missing out on establishing himself at another club. Tough decision.

Seems from preseason Jose thinks more of him as a CB. Shame as I really think he could become a great box to box midfielder.

Interesting to see that he has played only as a CB on the tour so far. Even with Lampard's injury Ramires played the full 90 in midfield for one. Glad to see Mourinho sees him as a CB because that's where his long-term future lies.

Seems like if a defender has good ball control he's automatically thought by some to be someone for our DM spot/s. When it's something that is also needed in our defenders.

Exactly, im bored off this perception in this country that defenders have to be hoof it away merchants.

Interesting to see that he has played only as a CB on the tour so far. Even with Lampard's injury Ramires played the full 90 in midfield for one. Glad to see Mourinho sees him as a CB because that's where his long-term future lies.

He only played CB as we don't have Omeruo or Luiz, and as Azpi is away Ivan filled out at RB. Essentially we had loads of midfielders but just Terry, Cahill and Kalas at CB.

Showed today that he is a midfielder.

• 3 weeks later...

Was having a good game too as well. Was very disciplined, rarely lost possession, was winning headers, lots of interceptions, successful tackles. An efficient DM performance. I still think he's in a similar mould to Essien, Vidal and Toure Yaya though in that he 'can' play DM but best box to box.

Massive shame about the injury. Stupid tackle that is pointless in a friendly. Sterling did one himself a few minutes later. Really hope it's not serious.

Was having a good game too as well. Was very disciplined, rarely lost possession, was winning headers, lots of interceptions, successful tackles. An efficient DM performance. I still think he's in a similar mould to Essien, Vidal and Toure Yaya though in that he 'can' play DM but best box to box.

Massive shame about the injury. Stupid tackle that is pointless in a friendly. Sterling did one himself a few minutes later. Really hope it's not serious.

He's matured so much in the DM role. I would've liked to see him bring it forward himself a bit more, but Shelvey's been excellent in possession. Horrible tackle as well, hopefully it's just an impact injury and not too serious.

Off topic, but I have to say I feel for Islam Feruz. Literally points where he's going to run, looking for the early pass, and is ignored every time.