Enzo Maresca Thread

35 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Leicester Mercury correspondent Jordan Blackwell:

"The Leicester players have spoken about feeling a bit stupid when he came in, he was teaching things they'd never considered or thought about, totally different ways of thinking about the game. 

Harry Winks said he's the best manager he's ever worked for - and he's played under Mauricio Pochettino, Antonio Conte and Jose Mourinho."

I like everything I'm reading too but his experience is only one season and that's not even in the top league. 

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

I like everything I'm reading too but his experience is only one season and that's not even in the top league. 

At this point all we have is hope. I will say I am more positive about him than I was about Poch. 

I don’t doubt he is qualified and knowledgable on paper. But it is a different story if he will be able to convey his ideas to the players in a way such that they will be able to implement those on the pitch. Time will tell. nothing we can observe from the outside warrants this appointment but it is clownlakes catastrophic track record in selecting anything in terms of football that does not incite confidence 

1 hour ago, Duppy Conqueror said:

Welcome (when it's proper confirmed)

I see challenging for 3rd as a realistic goal.

Think Klopp really got every drop out of the squad they got,i think before either side has additions ours may be more talented with base talent. Villa will be stretched by Champions league and although a good overall side,rely on a small number of players that they'd struggle without if injuries occur.

If some of our vastly talented but missed alot of time players can stay healthy then i'd expect CL place for '25. We werent so far away in the end and that was with alot of longterm injuries and Poch doing some dumb stuff like the Colwill experiment..

I agree, especially with a whole transfer window to go to sort out a squad that if it had been managed properly may well have got top 4 this season. If we are not top 4 next season then everyone from the owners and directors should take a serious look at walking away and admitting they don't know how to run a football club.

One thing I 100% think is a realistic target and demand everyone should be making is to stop the losses. The 11 losses in PL we had this year need to be more like 5. No point in bringing in a possession based manager to control games if we will lose more than that.

I was actually surprised we got this done fast. 

I guess it shows how we change from the first season with Todd in charge. 

As far as if players accept, we need to realize that this is young team, there's no ego here really. And the oldest one Sterling knows about this guy as well the current best player in our team Cole knows him. 
So as that goes he is in a good start. 

What I want to see is more youth giving a change. I will be impress if he gives players a change unlike Poch that hardly gave games to Maatsen. 

Posted (edited)

Zero emotions about this appointment, seen too much in recent years, can only hope this guy will finally click with circumstances here and won't be boys gave everything yes-man. Good luck.

5 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

These long term deals for managers are ridiculous. Doesn’t change the fact he will be gone next summer, just increases the compensation they have to pay. 

Very much this. Bit baffling, if it's not some accounting trick, the club had shown least trust to objectively most legit manager they managed to get. Or it was Poch who didn't fancy to be locked in here.

3 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Leicester Mercury correspondent Jordan Blackwell:

"The Leicester players have spoken about feeling a bit stupid when he came in, he was teaching things they'd never considered or thought about, totally different ways of thinking about the game. 

Harry Winks said he's the best manager he's ever worked for - and he's played under Mauricio Pochettino, Antonio Conte and Jose Mourinho."

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Same Ted Lasso visionary bs was being said about GP, not like it translated to anything here. Actions, not rumors. Plus, thinking our current squad has no ego is delusional. Looking like Pep is one thing, having something to back it up is another and he needs to act on it fast or things in dressing room may go south quickly.

Edited by Vegetable

It's yet another bizarre assignment any way you look at it. Whatever his ideas are, they've been implemented in the Championship, not the PL.

Potter will be getting that sweet Boehly money for another 3.5 years.
Enzo just hit the lottery.

Posted (edited)

''Project'' , ''Process''  it wasn't the same  with Potter , Pochettino ?Same PR nonsense . These clowns looking Arteta and want to copy them no matter that his only trophy is from 2019 FA Cup we was roobed in that game and 5 years this process is with no trophy how about that    the goons bottlers is our benchmark . Clownlake can't make their way they want to copy someone else Hollywood FC .

Edited by milka

But I'm surprised they gave him 5 years and Poch 2 year. 

Was Poch was just a stop gap for the club?

Weird people those that are running the club. 

Sources say from X that one of his targets is UCL in the first season, if he can achieve 4th even, then fair, we have a manager. If not, why did we bother moving from Poch to spend another £X amount. 

Feels like Potter 2.0

Just now, Fernando said:

But I'm surprised they gave him 5 years and Poch 2 year. 

Was Poch was just a stop gap for the club?

Weird people those that are running the club. 

Think it's the sporting directors way of trying to buy time on what is perceived as their last throw of the dice in decision making, sporting guys wanted Enzo, Clearlake wanted De Zerbi.

5 minutes ago, DH1988 said:

Sources say from X that one of his targets is UCL in the first season, if he can achieve 4th even, then fair, we have a manager. If not, why did we bother moving from Poch to spend another £X amount. 

Feels like Potter 2.0

People say you cant compare him to pep which is fair, but you also can't compare him to potter either, potter 2.0 is abit harsh to say he's not even signed yet, is he a risk yes! Every managerial appointment is and we have sacked even (world class) coach we have ever had, our players need direction and a proper coach and we have now someone with a clear footballing identity let's just hope it pays off! 

4 minutes ago, DH1988 said:

Think it's the sporting directors way of trying to buy time on what is perceived as their last throw of the dice in decision making, sporting guys wanted Enzo, Clearlake wanted De Zerbi.

I'm also not sure this is true, twitter is 99% BS and 1% truth it's a complete click bait game so they will say everything and anything for clicks, don't let stuff like that cloud your vision, if clearlake wanted De zerbi we would have him, the constant shit we have heard about them going into dressing rooms, wanting to be involved in on the pitch tactics and blah blah blah, if this is true (highly doubt) then do you really think if they wanted some one they wouldn't hire him regardless? Or is this forum now at the stage where they think the owners overthrow the manager at half time but not the sporting directors on a manager they apparently want? Come on now 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, DH1988 said:

Feels like Potter 2.0

I just hope if he doesn't get it first season which is fairly likely given the gap at the moment then it isn't a case of next!!!! If there is progress seen then stick with it otherwise what is the point. 

Edited by Laylabelle

You know - this is the first manager we've gotten where they haven't simply talked about how good a "man manager" he is. 

People and the media are talking about the style of football he plays and what he expects out of players. 

I for one... see this as a positive. 

10 hours ago, Vytis33 said:

Wish him the best of luck at Chelsea but is there a reason we need a 5 year deal?  Same thing we did with Potter.  And yet Poch with infinitely more top flight experience got a two year contract?  This ownership group baffles me

because otherwise hes not comming

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, whats happening said:

because otherwise hes not comming

yup 😃
Look at potter on his extremely well-paid vacation... won't accept an offer from a club at his level because he'd then lose that fat paycheck. 

Kinda funny to have the same folks who liked the appointment of Potter, who tbf at least had managed in the PL, now defending this huge gamble, which is that it is.

Edited by robsblubot