Welcome Mauricio Pochettino

7 hours ago, Seymop said:

As stated previously I just cannot understand the supporters on here clambering for Poch to go !!

Havent we learnt anything over the last couple of years,after ditching a world class manager in Tuchel ??? What better coaches do we think are lining up to a non Champions League Chelsea ???

Poch is under contract for another year and we need to let that run at-least, before we review where we are. Many of the squad have improved under the guidance of him and his team — Cole,Jackson etc. We should be showing him he is wanted, before he decides that he doesn’t want us !!  

43be7d4c117c3f7ea067e8ee2278a1b0.png

per the club

and all the rest I would want will not come here now

so its Poch by default

My only pick at this time is Alonso. 

If he can't come then continue with Poch. 

Maybe some stability with Poch might entice Alonso in the future. 

When all players click and the team plays better you have to give the manager some credit otherwise no manager will get any ever. The team is clicking, is running really well, and most, if not all players have, improved some.

Everything happened a bit late in the season, and I frankly don't expect to start from this level next season, but I understand that the amount of changes in the roster certainly make things more difficult for the coaches at the club, esp fitness wise.

I'm not sure we can get anywhere near silverware next season from what I hear. Unless it's just club talk trying not to raise expectations.

It would be foolish for the club to discard Poch now for a number of reasons:

1. He appears to have full backing from the whole squad, which for a team that has struggled at times this season, is rare.

2. Everything seems to be finally coming together now the squad is settling and maturing. Our finish to the season, we're not that far off Villa in 4th now. The top 4 is very much there for the taking next season outside of Arsenal and City. Liverpool will be a bit of an unknown entity with the new manager and could fall back into the pack, and I think Villa will struggle to maintain their top 4 position next season. If we keep on the upward trajectory we seem to be on, I don't see no reason why we can't be improving by another 10-15 points next year.

3. What is out there that anybody can be really confident is going to be a sure fire thing and improve on what we have right now. The manager market, on paper, looks so weak that Liverpool have taken a real punt in my opinion with their choice, and the likes of Barca, Bayern and United have already, or look possibly like going to, attempt to retain what they currently have despite relatively modest seasons (or downright pathetic in United's case). 

4. When the top managers do become available on the market, we need to look as attractive as possible to them, if we're looking to approach any. That firstly means continuing to kick on and get back into the Champions League, but more importantly, we need to show a lot more stability than we have so far under the current owners. At least under Roman, managers would still be attracted to the job knowing they'd have a nucleus of a side to compete for trophies with, and a Chelsea stint could very well look good on the CV. But with a young, inexperienced squad still very much developing, the short term approach to managers just won't be an attractive proposition for the best ones.

I'm obviously not looking right now, but someone I am interested in following is Cesc. Although he's officially an assistant, I think it's widely assumed this is just a work-around for his coaching badges and he has a lot more influence on things at Como that an assistant usually would have. That Spanish generation behind Pep do seem to be a potential hotbed of the next best managers coming through. He's obviously a bit behind the likes of Arteta and Alonso, but I've always felt he's come across incredibly well, very intelligent and likeable, and has had quite the variety of coaches in his career to have picked things up from. 

The main thing is if somebody like a Cesc were to come through really strongly over the next 2-3 years and was being touted for a big job, we're not going to look attractive to him if we've eaten up Poch and another manager or more in that period. 

On 16/05/2024 at 15:30, Mhsc said:

playing a left back at LW, a CB at LB, sometimes Disasi at RB, Enzo far up the field, etc. It was like he was trying to create a line up as far away from how they were designed to be played by the people putting the squad together and if he has come close to the sack this year I think that will absolutely be why: they all agreed mutually on transfers, spending a lot of money, but none of it will matter if Poch would then insist on playing a totally stupid system.

What we don't know is whether he finally seen sense (or got over whatever point he was trying to make earlier in the season where he seemed to be almost intentionally sabotaging us) or whether he will revert to Chilwell LW, Colwill LB for example when both are fit and available.

I

He playling Chilwell LW because he doesn't trust Mudryk  at the start of the season, Colwill LB because they got rid of Maatsen for no reason(for pound note) when we didn't have a healthy one LB . As for Enzo, he himself said that if he does not start the lineup with him, the owners will kill him in other words whether he likes it or not Enzo is a starter regardless of his form and there seems to be more chemistry between Caicedo and Gallagher than with Enzo.

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

Weird situation. I think there's no reason to keep Poch in this sort of uncertainty. 

Don't think it's weird, wait for the end of the season and the FA cup result, assess without emotion and make a decision.

For me, he has to go.

2 minutes ago, DH1988 said:

Don't think it's weird, wait for the end of the season and the FA cup result, assess without emotion and make a decision.

For me, he has to go.

What's the argument for removing him? 

And who's the replacement who's much better than him. 

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

What's the argument for removing him? 

And who's the replacement who's much better than him. 

My personal opinion for removing him:

- No plan B during games, he even said it himself the players have no plan except give it to Palmer

- Inconsistent message externally, especially relating to Spurs, I understand you don't want to burn bridges but you're at Chelsea, a huge club, not your tiny tinpot Spuds

- Misusing players in positions

- Subs bar 2 notable recent games have been lacklustre

I, personally, do not feel he is the guy to take us forward, he's a decent interim, but we are in such a dangerous time, if we don't kick on then we will be in dire straits. 

I bet it’ll be announced within the next few days that we’ve given him an extension to his contract. Maybe an extra 2 years.

Surely no way they tell him to go after we’ve finally shown something and when he has the players fully behind him. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I bet it’ll be announced within the next few days that we’ve given him an extension to his contract. Maybe an extra 2 years.

Surely no way they tell him to go after we’ve finally shown something and when he has the players fully behind him. 

An extra 2 years? That would be hilariously bad decision.

We should tell him the truth: this is the absolute minimum acceptable and next season has to be better. No more excuses. No whining to the press about how you aren't getting to buy whichever players you feel like. Get on with the job and deliver. Promise him an extension around Christmas if we are top 4 around that time. Give him 1 year then. Keep our options open.

He has done an alright job recently but I would say he is very marginal not to get the sack on balance of his performance over the season. Wouldn't really surprise me either way tbh. But him getting an extension right now would be a massive surprise to me and quite poor from the club. We cannot be rewarding 6th place. The most we can say is that due to mitigating circumstances he deserves a chance to prove he can do better.

Edited by Mhsc

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

So let him see out next year and after decide. Fuck this shit, don't hand him any extension.

I think his position should pretty much depend on what the club want's to do with itself. If owners want to spent next 3-4 years doing the Vitesse duty ourselves, eg. developing the talent / "talent" and look for top4 in Clearlake's 6th year of ownership then sure, Poch is fine to teach the kids football and his lackluster ability to manage games proactively doesn't really matter, except fans frustration. IF club wants to get some serious players and bite now (that I highly doubt, judging by what we've seen so far) Poch won't cut it. Either the true heavyweight or one of those fresh and coming new wave manager is needed for such project. Poch is safe all-rounder, but for top level some more punch is needed. His PSG stint could be a fluke or cold be not, but I can hardly imagine him conquering the world.

54 minutes ago, Mhsc said:

We should tell him the truth: this is the absolute minimum acceptable and next season has to be better. No more excuses. No whining to the press about how you aren't getting to buy whichever players you feel like. Get on with the job and deliver. Promise him an extension around Christmas if we are top 4 around that time. Give him 1 year then. Keep our options open.

He has done an alright job recently but I would say he is very marginal not to get the sack on balance of his performance over the season. Wouldn't really surprise me either way tbh. But him getting an extension right now would be a massive surprise to me and quite poor from the club. We cannot be rewarding 6th place. The most we can say is that due to mitigating circumstances he deserves a chance to prove he can do better.

I totally agree! Have spent more or less the entire season wanting him gone! He’s just not good enough and never will be at best he’s a journeyman coach, definitely not an elite coach.

Remember after the money we’ve spent we are still only the 3rd best team in London….just not good enough! The 5-0 against Arsenal was a disgrace for this club and yet we beat a couple of teams that are terrible and he gets to keep his job….no way get gone and get out of our club. It will just be another year wasted if we keep him he’s a serial loser and always will be!

27 minutes ago, Zolaking said:

I totally agree! Have spent more or less the entire season wanting him gone! He’s just not good enough and never will be at best he’s a journeyman coach, definitely not an elite coach.

Remember after the money we’ve spent we are still only the 3rd best team in London….just not good enough! The 5-0 against Arsenal was a disgrace for this club and yet we beat a couple of teams that are terrible and he gets to keep his job….no way get gone and get out of our club. It will just be another year wasted if we keep him he’s a serial loser and always will be!

How about looking this way... Comparing to season before...

44 points - 63 points 

38 goals scored - 77 goals 

12th position - 6th 

Improvements all the way. 

2 minutes ago, Mário César said:

since new year only arsenal and city make more points than us....

can anyone give me the table with this info?

Go on flashscore and look at PL table. Click form last 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 rounds and we are always top4. Early part of the season made difference for us. And that is normal new manager a lot of new young players in first games. Still huge improvement over season before when we had all these experienced players like Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho, Azpi CL winners Mount, Havertz etc...

Also I'm not losing any sleep over missing CL. Teams like Brest, Bologna, Stuttgart, Aston Villa, Girona, Sturm Graz and probably Red Star, Twente will play there... Nothing special. 

I think next season is 3rd and last one in our process and playing Europa League where we are number one favorites is gonna be great ride and experience for our young squad. Step by step. 

2 hours ago, Mhsc said:

This would be the ice cold and probably correct stance to take but I don’t know if you can have that sort of nonstop question hanging over him for another entire season. He’s going to want some assurance and security and not have everyone questioning his job after any slight rough patch.

I think he would legitimately choose to walk away if he’s got to manage for his job every week.