Welcome Mauricio Pochettino

''Against a team like Tottenham is never easy but today was fantastic – full credit to the players in the way they approached the game and the first half. In the way we tried to defend and in the way we tried to play I think it was fantastic. I think it was the first time in the season that I felt so happy because it is the moment after 10 months that the team start to realise how we need to compete.

I don’t know if it’s the best performance but the most important is the feeling [we have]. All negative circumstances that show that we are doing things well, but this was the click to say that we need to compete better, how? Be connected with the game.

If you see today Noni Madueke was amazing in how he helped the fullback. I think the whole team in both phases was connected. A few weeks ago we were talking about what has happened at Chelsea. It’s only one phase and we want to play into the feet with the ball and then run the defensive line, it was unbalanced the situation. And the standard was so, so low and all the process we were talking is about time and some luck to have this type of result to really make the players believe that this is the way [forward].''

MP

50 minutes ago, Mário César said:

so keep or fire him?

IDK, tbh...

I mean he's dealt with a pretty achievable task at the moment. We have a favorable run to finish 6th and if we do, we'd just need City to win the FA Cup which is very possible that they do. 

We qualify for the Europa League then. 

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

''Against a team like Tottenham is never easy but today was fantastic – full credit to the players in the way they approached the game and the first half. In the way we tried to defend and in the way we tried to play I think it was fantastic. I think it was the first time in the season that I felt so happy because it is the moment after 10 months that the team start to realise how we need to compete.

I don’t know if it’s the best performance but the most important is the feeling [we have]. All negative circumstances that show that we are doing things well, but this was the click to say that we need to compete better, how? Be connected with the game.

If you see today Noni Madueke was amazing in how he helped the fullback. I think the whole team in both phases was connected. A few weeks ago we were talking about what has happened at Chelsea. It’s only one phase and we want to play into the feet with the ball and then run the defensive line, it was unbalanced the situation. And the standard was so, so low and all the process we were talking is about time and some luck to have this type of result to really make the players believe that this is the way [forward].''

MP

I wouldn't call Madueke amazing in attack, but he certainly did help a lot in D.
I conceded that I erred when I compared him to Mudryk in the game thread. Madueke is a footballer trying to improve and performing the team tasks. Whether he will be good enough long term is yet to be seen just as it was a question mark for Tammy not long ago.

Evidently he was there to help a young an inexperienced RB, which only makes his teamwork effort today even more impressive.

Poch STAY! 😆

9 hours ago, robsblubot said:

I wouldn't call Madueke amazing in attack, but he certainly did help a lot in D.
I conceded that I erred when I compared him to Mudryk in the game thread. Madueke is a footballer trying to improve and performing the team tasks. Whether he will be good enough long term is yet to be seen just as it was a question mark for Tammy not long ago.

Evidently he was there to help a young an inexperienced RB, which only makes his teamwork effort today even more impressive.

Poch STAY! 😆

Yeah dont agree with everything Podge says but have always advocated Madueke is more of a rough diamond than Mudryk - but both have the potential to come really good in the next year or two.

Agreed think it would be detrimental to dump Poch right now. Spuds werent poor but we overwhelmed them until their manager galvanised them for 2nd half, that we weathered and then got the 2nd. Imagine how we would be without having 14 injured....

11 hours ago, Mário César said:

so keep or fire him?

IDK, tbh...

Only advocate keeping him if you’re happy never winning anything 

even if we improve under Poch we won’t win a single trophy , man is a loser and has bottled every chance at silverware he’s had in this country 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Yeah dont agree with everything Podge says but have always advocated Madueke is more of a rough diamond than Mudryk - but both have the potential to come really good in the next year or two.

Agreed think it would be detrimental to dump Poch right now. Spuds werent poor but we overwhelmed them until their manager galvanised them for 2nd half, that we weathered and then got the 2nd. Imagine how we would be without having 14 injured....

Yeah I strongly disagree about Mudryk because I don't see the skill. The tight control of the football isn't there.
Mudryk is lightweight, no aerial game,  has a poor first touch, and average passing ability... I think he's one of the worst wingers I've seen in the PL.

Still think Madeueke's ceiling is a bit lower than anything "diamond" worded 🙂 as he also does not have that tight control, but he does have far more tools than Mudryk.

Edited by robsblubot

Sublime through ball for Nico last night by the Ukrainian, but Mudryk generally has the first touch of rapist. 

I reckon if he was at Goonerville Arteta would have him under control and he'd be more measured. 

On a wider note what was with the mental shooting into row Z last night by many players ? like the ball was full of helium

10 hours ago, lucio said:

even if we improve under Poch we won’t win a single trophy , man is a loser and has bottled every chance at silverware he’s had in this country 

TBF to poch he was at Tottenham, conte and Jose didn't win anything there either, granted Jose was sacked before he had the chance, but still Conte did nothing at Tottenham and won the league here.... Yes he won the league at psg which some say is a given, but TT couldn't win the league at BM which is also normally a given. I just think comparing the different scenarios doesn't do any one justice or is at all a fair comparison, but even you will have to admit in his first season a final and if we finish 6th and get European football is a hell of an achievement given the fact the age and the amount of injuries, on top of the amount of new players to the club and to the league.

39 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

TBF to poch he was at Tottenham, conte and Jose didn't win anything there either, granted Jose was sacked before he had the chance, but still Conte did nothing at Tottenham and won the league here.... Yes he won the league at psg which some say is a given, but TT couldn't win the league at BM which is also normally a given. I just think comparing the different scenarios doesn't do any one justice or is at all a fair comparison, but even you will have to admit in his first season a final and if we finish 6th and get European football is a hell of an achievement given the fact the age and the amount of injuries, on top of the amount of new players to the club and to the league.

Getting to the final was no achievement , very easy run and any half decent manager with a winning mentality would have won the final 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, lucio said:

Poch is here for transitional period of 2, 3 years. Nobody would win PL or CL with this team either. And he is happy to do this period while best managers would moan and leave in current situation. 

The way I see our project is that you suffer for 3, 4 years but are building the team to win 4, 5 PLs in a row. You don't think that's worth it? In general only PL and CL are trophies of huge significance. Under Roman after Jose's double in 2005 and 2006 we won big trophies in: 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017 and 2021. 5 biggest trophies in 16 years. That's great but new owners are taking different approach and could end up genius. Problem is many fans don't see bigger picture and are impatient. We are on right track imo. Results will come and shouldn't worry us right now. In guys like James, Gusto, Colwill, Fofana, Enzo, Caicedo, Gallagher, Lavia, Nkunku, Palmer I see players capable of dominating PL. Klopp is leaving, Pep will soon as well just in time when our young players mature. Our time is coming. Someone else will come and pick all the fruits from Poch foundation. 

Edited by NikkiCFC

3 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Poch is here for transitional period of 2, 3 years. Nobody would win PL or CL with this team either. And he is happy to do this period while best managers would moan and leave in current situation. 

The way I see our project is that you suffer for 3, 4 years but are building the team to win 4, 5 PLs in a row. You don't think that's worth it? In general only PL and CL are trophies of huge significance. Under Roman after Jose's double in 2005 and 2006 we won big trophies in: 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017 and 2021. 5 biggest trophies in 16 years. That's great but new owners are taking different approach and could end up genius. Problem is many fans don't see bigger picture and are impatient. We are on right track imo. Results will come and shouldn't worry us right now. In guys like James, Gusto, Colwill, Fofana, Enzo, Caicedo, Gallagher, Lavia, Nkunku, Palmer I see players capable of dominating PL. Klopp is leaving, Pep will soon as well just in time when our young players mature. Our time is coming. 

Well yes and no. We aren't going to be challenging for any serious trophies in the near future and yes, Poch will likely be a safe pair of hands for the next year or two. However, we also have to look at the dangers of keeping him. First and foremost for me is the mentality that will be left. Poch seems to think it is fine to play for penalties in a final against the Dippers youth team - that for me was unforgivable and is a dangerous precedent to set. Second, he appears to be very bad at spotting players that need dropping. Sanchez, Disasi and Sterling should all of been dropped way before they were. As a result, he could end up prolonging the development of the squad because he cannot judge a player properly. Third, his tactics haven't got across to the side much - people get excited about the Everton and Spuds games but forget quickly that we were bummed by Le Arse and could hold onto leads against Burnley and fecking Sheffield, thus I am not sure the players will develop enough tactical awareness/knowledge under him.

For me, just sticking with him because he is a 'safe pair of hands' is also fought with danger. 

20 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Poch seems to think it is fine to play for penalties in a final against the Dippers youth team

While I see your point I must point out our team still had a lower average age then Liverpool did, also they have trained with a standard and a way of playing across all ages at Liverpool so the system and style of play is already embedded in to Liverpool's youth system, that's what happens when you keep a manager around for long enough is that the style and system will be embedded into young players and they can just slot in. So in short yes we lost to Liverpool's youth team but they had a far bigger advantage over us with the points I've just made, the fact our youth team is now our main team is more of the problem than poch imo.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

While I see your point I must point out our team still had a lower average age then Liverpool did, also they have trained with a standard and a way of playing across all ages at Liverpool so the system and style of play is already embedded in to Liverpool's youth system, that's what happens when you keep a manager around for long enough is that the style and system will be embedded into young players and they can just slot in. So in short yes we lost to Liverpool's youth team but they had a far bigger advantage over us with the points I've just made, the fact our youth team is now our main team is more of the problem than poch imo.

I get what you're saying but in that game we were on top until extra time where we went Conservative which was clearly from the manager. He has done this on numerous occasions this season as well (City away being another prime example.) For me, Poch plays 'scared' in that he will 'play out for a draw' rather than go for the win when things get tight. For me, that really isn't the type of mentality I want instilled into a young team. 

Edited by King Kante

9 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

klopp joined liverpool with a great track record of  prior success , so he earned the extra patience. you can't just waste years on coaches like poch, lampard or potter who have never done anything. We could still be employing lampard with this logic 

7 hours ago, lucio said:

klopp joined liverpool with a great track record of  prior success , so he earned the extra patience. you can't just waste years on coaches like poch, lampard or potter who have never done anything. We could still be employing lampard with this logic 

What? I think you misunderstood what I'm saying, I'm not saying keep poch or sack him, I'm saying klopp has been there years and installed a system and a style across all age groups, look at the managers we have had over the years the good the bad the world class, no one has managed to establish them selves or there philosophy into this club properly, we relied on instant success then when it failed we went in a new direction, which worked for years granted, clearly this isn't the case anymore, teams like fergies man utd, Wenger's arsenal, klops pool, peps city, everything these clubs did was installed into there youth and these kids could walk into the first team and know exactly what there roles are. Poch may or may not be the right guy I don't get paid enough to make them decisions that's down to the club, but what I will say is if this is the road they are going to take and properly invest in a manager, they better get there fucking act together and pick a man and stand by him.