Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

• 1 month later...

Branislav Ivanovic:Chelsea FC player evaluations 2015/16

Oh Branislav, Branislav, Branislav.I really do appreciate Branislav Ivanovic. In my humble opinion he has been the best right-back the Premier League has ever had. He used to be an absolute rock in defence, a galloping necessity when attacking and would always fetch a few headed goals.Hence, it’s just impossible to ignore how bad he’s been this season, isn’t it?Cesar Azpilicueta was originally signed as a back-up right back and it was due to Ivanovic’s consistent performances that the club were inclined to put Azpilicueta in the left-back position.However, towards the end of last season and throughout this season teams were attacking Chelsea’s right because of Azpilicueta’s consistent performances.Ivanovic was seen as Chelsea’s liability and it was clear to all that he wasn’t the same player as previous years.He was caught on his heels far too often. This meant a simple shift of the ball by the attacker would see him fly past the stumbling Ivanovic.Data from whoscored.com shows us that Ivanovic was dribbled past 0.9 times per game. His previous highest mark was 0.7 in 2009/2010. In 2014/15 he was only dribbled past 0.4 times per game. Just from watching the games you can see how much easier it is to attack him than in past seasons.

He’s lost a step, definitely, which is a problem considering he is still keen on running the length of the pitch to support an attack.Ivanovic’s poor positioning or inability to tackle/get back to defend on time caused a string of problems for the rest of the Chelsea defence. Whoever was playing at right centre-back (usually Gary Cahill or Kurt Zouma) had to shift over to the right-back position. The two left sided defenders then had to cover the space in the middle and the defensive midfielder had to cover the left-back position.To be honest there were holes all over the Chelsea defence and Nemanja Matic, for one reason or another, wasn’t able to help out like he could last year. They weren’t all caused by Ivanovic but his massive dip in form this season made him a hell of a lot more vulnerable than we are used to.The Serbian international scored two goals in the Premier League, his lowest tally since 2009/10. Our corners were pretty rubbish this campaign but while we’re used to seeing Ivanovic being a brute in the box, he seemed to be pushed around a lot more in 2015/16.Chelsea signed the centre-back-turned-right-back to a year long contract extension on January 22nd this year (some birthday present for me, huh?). A questionable decision from the club considering they had yet to re-sign John Terry at the time.Perhaps they see a future for Ivanovic as captain, he is 32-years-old and was handed the captain’s armband on a number of occasions while Terry wasn’t playing this season. I felt during these games he wasn’t the leader the Blues wanted. He seemed to shy away from any responsibility and when called over to talk to the ref just pouted and nodded.

The Pride of London

Capture.PNG

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, DDA said:

Listen Iva is a shadow of his former self but let's have a little respect for a player that helped win us our first Champions League with brilliant defending, goals and c110% commitment! The guy is not a clown he is just over the hill unfortunately and it is time for him to take a back seat.

and the Europa League.

I agree he has been a great servant to the club and was one of the top RB's at his peak but we must move on if we are to be successful again.

He is a dead weight dragging the team down. But at least dead weight doesnt gift free goals to the opposition where this donkey does.

Whoever from high up on the club's hierarchy gave the okay on Ivanovic signing that new contract back in January when his previous deal was expiring needs to be named and shamed. Would've been just so easy to let him go and say 'thanks for the memories and contributions towards the club's success in recent years but it's time to move on' but nah, just had to give him that contract extension. 

His legs are gone and it's really sad to see him play in this state. Should he keep playing any longer he'll eventually tarnish his really nice legacy at the club and some fickle people will just remember him as the useless sack of shit he's been since last year. 

Surely he would be the culprit again but honestly he did not do too much wrong apart from his horrendous mistake. Nonetheless he should be one of our fittest players but still looks too slow, esp mentally. Finally has to go or take an absolutely marginal role in the squad like 3rd the and 5th cb.

I don't think I can take another season with Iva at RB. I really liked him a few years ago and I don't want to keep tainting the good memories with the bad ones. Let's face it, there are alot of bad ones coming if he is our starting RB.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Maybe he could be offloaded to China, with his horrendous performances he would fit right into there.

I am grateful to him for things he did in the past, he will always remembered as great player, but its about time to part ways.

2 minutes ago, Beigl said:

Maybe he could be offloaded to China, with his horrendous performances he would fit right into there.

I am grateful to him for things he did in the past, he will always remembered as great player, but its about time to part ways.

The Chinese transfer period closed a few days ago.