Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

4 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

You don't give a goal scoring opportunity because someone SHOULD be there to pick up Capoue. He made a run from central midfield with no one picking him up and ran behind the fullback with the winger no where to help cover.

You definitely do need 3 players to defend a cross into the center of the box against 2 attackers. Regardless of how good your defenders are in the air. Because the attacker can either attack the ball from in front of the man marking him or from behind so the defender has to take a risk and stand either in front of the attacker and risk the ball being played above him or behind the attacker and risk the ball being played in front of him. Hence a 50-50 chance.

But if you have 3 defenders like you should, if the ball looks to be hitting the near post a defender will stand either side of the attacker there and the third will move in front of the attacker on the far post side and if the ball hits the far post a defender will stand either side of the attacker there with the third standing between the second attacker and the far post.

That's literally how coaches coach defending against those situations. Most defenders would do exactly as Iva did. 

A defender should always be goal side of a striker. If he is, he minimising the chance for the shot on goal quite significantly. You don't need another player in there to negate the threat.

Coaches teach full backs to patrol the area around the far post, and Ivanovic failed in that aspect. Was ball watching. Nothing more to it. Apart from that mistake he had a solid game (defensively anyway). He was definitely at fault for the goal. 

2 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

A defender should always be goal side of a striker. If he is, he minimising the chance for the shot on goal quite significantly. You don't need another player in there to negate the threat.

Coaches teach full backs to patrol the area around the far post, and Ivanovic failed in that aspect. Was ball watching. Nothing more to it. Apart from that mistake he had a solid game (defensively anyway). He was definitely at fault for the goal. 

How would a defender stop a header on goal if he is goal side of an attacker on the near post and the cross is played in front of him? 

In that scenario, and here we're talking about a totally different case, defenders are usually told to do the opposite and stand between the attacker and the crosser and not goal-side.

10 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

How would a defender stop a header on goal if he is goal side of an attacker on the near post and the cross is played in front of him? 

In that scenario, and here we're talking about a totally different case, defenders are usually told to do the opposite and stand between the attacker and the crosser and not goal-side.

He challenges for it, quite simple... Anyway! In this scenario, Ivanovic doesn't help at all even if he is the 3rd defender near goal. He is completely irrelevant if the ball is crossed near post. That'll be for Terry to deal with, and he usually does very well in this scenario. 

He challenges for it, quite simple... Anyway! In this scenario, Ivanovic doesn't help at all even if he is the 3rd defender near goal. He is completely irrelevant if the ball is crossed near post. That'll be for Terry to deal with, and he usually does very well in this scenario. 

Btw Cahill asked Ivan to pick up the Watford player, even though Cahill should have been marking him. You can see on the replay Cahill clearly asking Ivan for help. And then Cahill was marking no one. Its def Cahill fault and whoever else that should have ran back with Capoue.

50 minutes ago, Bir_CFC said:

Btw Cahill asked Ivan to pick up the Watford player, even though Cahill should have been marking him. You can see on the replay Cahill clearly asking Ivan for help. And then Cahill was marking no one. Its def Cahill fault and whoever else that should have ran back with Capoue.

Fair enough. Didn't see that. Well, Cahill is at fault then for asking for help when he didn't need it at all. If Cahill doesn't ask for that Ivanovic would've probably been in the right zone and would've made it extremely harder for Capoue to get a shot off. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, the wes said:

Good news lads According to reports Ivan will be facing for his future 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/06/branislav-ivanovic-faces-fight-for-chelsea-future-as-antonio-con/

Close relationship with Roman? No wonder he plays week in week out even when he's in totally shit form!

Good news lads According to reports Ivan will be facing for his future 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/06/branislav-ivanovic-faces-fight-for-chelsea-future-as-antonio-con/

Let's hope he loses it. Dave wants his natural spot back

I wont be surprised to see Ivanovic, once he retires, rejoin Chelsea board and become "negotiator" for new transfers, add some motivation to potential targets.

You know, the dirty work. The players will have to think twice before turning us down.

3 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Let's hope he loses it. Dave wants his natural spot back

Now I'm all for dropping Ivanovic but what is all this about natural spot.

From a defensive point of view at least, I much prefer him on the left.

Now I'm all for dropping Ivanovic but what is all this about natural spot.

From a defensive point of view at least, I much prefer him on the left.

I'm just saying put him in a place where he is needed more. Alonso should now have the LB spot IMO.

6 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I'm just saying put him in a place where he is needed more. Alonso should now have the LB spot IMO.

I agree purely because of the fact it will mean Ivanovic out of the team (well that's based on blind optimism that Alonso isnt even worse).

However if I had it my way we would have signed a new RB this summer and kept Cesar were he is.

The most frustrating thing when it comes to Ivanovic, is in his prime he was the best RB in the league and kept getting shafted in the centre or the bench by Carlo/AVB in favour of fucking Bosingwa (I don't buy this he was a CB stuff, i hated him in that position even in his prime, imo it was just a lazy assumptiom becayse he is big and looks like a nutter).

Last few years hes been past his prime and got selected at RB every week.

• 2 weeks later...