Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

On 16/08/2016 at 7:59 AM, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

Same as the poster above, Ivan you did well tonight...... Although!

Imagine if it was Azpi on the right (assuming we bought a LB), and it was him making those delayed overlapping runs into space? And was in position to deliver a cross that actually reached it's intended target?

That was something that jumped out to me straight away. Numerous times Oscar and Willian tried to play Ivan on in acres of space, but it just never clicked. If we solve the FB issues this window...My god, if tonights game was anything to go by, we will have some serious fullback play. 

Tempted to say we should just buy a really good attacking right fullback. Someone like Fabinho from Monaco. Even though that means we don't have a pure left footed fullback but if we must persist with Azpi there for let's say a season it's fine. There aren't many great left backs out there tbh so I wouldn't mind this. 

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

Defensively he has been astronomically better than last season however that isn't saying much. His crossing however, is still the worst in the league.

We haven't faced anyone of note yet. He was responsible for the goal. Was in the center when he should have been out wide. 

5 minutes ago, nono said:

He was responsible for the goal.

Well the way I saw it, I'd place more blame at Cahill. But the point you make stands, because between the two of them I worry when we face United with Martial and Zlatan having a field day against those two. I'm sure Nolito and Aguero are also keeping a wide eye on the fact we're still yet to address our major areas of weakness lol.  Thank christ we're not in the Champions League. Imagine we somehow scrap through a group stage only to face MSN/BBC with this shocking backline :lol:

Honestly, and I'm not one to defend Ivanovic, but the goal is not his fault, neither is it Cahill's for that matter! 

He did the right thing in tucking in because Cahill and JT were outnumbered in the middle and would have had trouble dealing with the cross alone. The fault is on Oscar/Matic (can't remember who) who failed to track the run of Capoue from central midfield and from Pedro who was MILES away from his fullback when we did not have the ball. 

24 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Honestly, and I'm not one to defend Ivanovic, but the goal is not his fault, neither is it Cahill's for that matter! 

He did the right thing in tucking in because Cahill and JT were outnumbered in the middle and would have had trouble dealing with the cross alone. The fault is on Oscar/Matic (can't remember who) who failed to track the run of Capoue from central midfield and from Pedro who was MILES away from his fullback when we did not have the ball. 

They weren't outnumbered. Terry had Ighalo. If Ivanovic picks up Capoue and Cahill picks up Deeney then it would have been a 3 on 3 with Kante being close by to offer support. 

Can see it well at 2:13.

Again play him more as Cb as than fb simples ,again c'mon board season after season lets have a full squad of Cfc quality,2 players in every position that want to to play for the club/shirt and are worthy.

Keeper

Ivan Cahill Terry

Azpil Kante (new lwb)

Fab

Hazard

Batman Costa

Would b fun at Sw6?1

1 hour ago, mccg said:

Again play him more as Cb as than fb simples ,again c'mon board season after season lets have a full squad of Cfc quality,2 players in every position that want to to play for the club/shirt and are worthy.

Keeper

Ivan Cahill Terry

Azpil Kante (new lwb)

Fab

Hazard

Batman Costa

Would b fun at Sw6?1

Conte would not find a bigger downgrade from his Italian BBC if he tried to. :D 

Yeah he needs to be benched. All the profesionalism he has, all the trophies he helped us win, his performances are poor these days and thats it. Been average for over a year and today game shown nothing else. 

And I could somehow see past his bad defending, as long he would not stop the team. But the whole right side is dragged down because of his poor passing and crossing.

IMO the only thing he brings is height and experience.

I would not go head in the wall, but if there is quality full back available, pay the damn money.

1 hour ago, Belgiannutt said:

They weren't outnumbered. Terry had Ighalo. If Ivanovic picks up Capoue and Cahill picks up Deeney then it would have been a 3 on 3 with Kante being close by to offer support. 

Can see it well at 2:13.

When I was writing that I knew that someone would pick out the word outnumbered. I didn't mean that there were more Watford players, I said outnumbered because you need 3 players to mark 2 in the box. I know it's a stupid use of the word but I didn't want to complicate the sentence.

Yeah, he needed to to tuck in to help in 2vs2 because you can have man marking in corners and set pieces when the box is packed, but when you only have 2 attackers, having just 2 defend is basically giving your defender a 50% chance of getting the ball. Actually even less as it's harder to defender the cross than to attack it.. 

9 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

When I was writing that I knew that someone would pick out the word outnumbered. I didn't mean that there were more Watford players, I said outnumbered because you need 3 players to mark 2 in the box. I know it's a stupid use of the word but I didn't want to complicate the sentence.

Yeah, he needed to to tuck in to help in 2vs2 because you can have man marking in corners and set pieces when the box is packed, but when you only have 2 attackers, having just 2 defend is basically giving your defender a 50% chance of getting the ball. Actually even less as it's harder to defender the cross than to attack it.. 

You definitely don't need three players to mark two in the box. You don't tuck in and help your CBs mark opposition strikers when there's a threat out wide. If you do that, you're surrendering a goal scoring opportunity. You say you give your defenders 50% to defend the ball if it's 1v1. But what you've done is essentially give that 3rd player that's coming in from wide a 100% scoring chance. Capoue took it very well but Ivanovic needs to be there. Full backing 101. Cahill and Terry are great in the air, why would they need help from Ivanovic?

33 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

You definitely do it need three players to mark two in the box. You don't tuck in and help your CBs mark opposition strikers when there's a threat out wide. If you do that, you're surrendering a goal scoring opportunity. You say you give your defenders 50% to defend the ball if it's 1v1. But what you've done is essentially give that 3rd player that's coming in from wide a 100% scoring chance. Capoue took it very well but Ivanovic needs to be there. Full backing 101. Cahill and Terry are great in the air, why would they need help from Ivanovic?

You don't give a goal scoring opportunity because someone SHOULD be there to pick up Capoue. He made a run from central midfield with no one picking him up and ran behind the fullback with the winger no where to help cover.

You definitely do need 3 players to defend a cross into the center of the box against 2 attackers. Regardless of how good your defenders are in the air. Because the attacker can either attack the ball from in front of the man marking him or from behind so the defender has to take a risk and stand either in front of the attacker and risk the ball being played above him or behind the attacker and risk the ball being played in front of him. Hence a 50-50 chance.

But if you have 3 defenders like you should, if the ball looks to be hitting the near post a defender will stand either side of the attacker there and the third will move in front of the attacker on the far post side and if the ball hits the far post a defender will stand either side of the attacker there with the third standing between the second attacker and the far post.

That's literally how coaches coach defending against those situations. Most defenders would do exactly as Iva did.