Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Not surprising at all. Don't think the burning ambition to be the world's best is there anymore. Not even the country's best. More about floating up there nowadays. A title here and there, some cup victories. A slightly better version of Arsenal.

The plans for a new stadium probably plays a big part in it as well.

I like it!

He came as nobody and worked his way through, he isn't the most talented player but he has always given his all.

Never ever complained like some other prima donnas...

He shouldn't be as often as nowadays part of the starting lineup, but i get that he is important for the team and he is a true leader, our warrior!

Nice, thats possible to go out with dignity, personally speaking, i don't want to see Branislav at any other club, he belongs to Chelsea.

One of us!

Loyalty is a two way street, if i'm asking it from you, you're getting it from me.

That's the spirit!

Dear oh dear. The board might be even more clueless than initially thought if they are going to give Ivanovic a new contract. :doh:

The only way this deal (God forbid it!) is going to be accepted is if Ivanovic's role next season is reduced to a bit-part/squad player role and he is used to provide experience and some sort of leadership (Terry and maybe Mikel aside, there isn't much of that battle hardened, winning mentality, leadership in the squad). We CANNOT have a player who is already over the hill playing week in week out and who is not a right back playing at right back. Otherwise, we will not progress as a team!

25 minutes ago, Leif said:

He and Mikel are here because of their strength and 'stability' during their good periods. Utility players. Every club needs them; we're just over-depending on ours. 

Ivanovic should be here, but on the bench.

They are literally the opposite of utility players. Ivanovic starts and can only play one position and the later holds true for Mikel. Rodrigo Taddei was a utility player; Ivanovic and Mikel are not.

42 minutes ago, Leif said:

He and Mikel are here because of their strength and 'stability' during their good periods. Utility players. Every club needs them; we're just over-depending on ours. 

Ivanovic should be here, but on the bench.

If so then we've been incredibly over-depending on Iva and under-depending on Mikel for 3 seasons now. 

As annoying as this news is, worse players than current Ivan have been in title/trophy winning sides, Del Horno, Young to name a couple.

If we struggle to get back to the top level, blaming it solely on Ivan still being here is just a cop out.