Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

CIES Football Observatory

n°376 - 11/04/2022

Weekly Post

https://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2021/wp376/en/

Top transfer values: U23 big-5 league rookies

Pioneers in the transfer economic valuation field, since 2010, the CIES Football Observatory has been developing a statistical method to assess market prices for professional football players. Issue number 376 of the Weekly Post presents the highest estimated transfer values for the 50 footballers who did not yet celebrate their 23rd birthday and made their big-5 league debut during current season.

Joško Gvardiol tops the table with an estimated value of €96.2M. While only 20-years-old, the centre back has established himself as a pillar of both RB Leipzig and Croatia. If transferred, he could break the record for the greatest fee ever paid for a defender. Gvardiol’s teammate at RB Leipzig Dominik Szoboszlai and FC Barcelona’s prodigy Pablo Gavi complete the podium for the most expensive U23 big-5 league rookies.

To know more about the method and variables used by the CIES Football Observatory research team to assess football players’ transfer fees and values, please refer to this scientific paper freshly published in the peer-review open access journal Economies. The fee estimate intervals for all big-5 league players are available for free on our website. Please contact us for more information about our approach and services.

2f03776631954ce8654295d02c15ab8a.pngd6448c1999e94b36b4d51c8a227770a4.png20ec59544f2a3e2d6d63fc6ba3212b3f.png

After seeing him firsthand, Klopp will probably push their board to sign him and they’ll have yet another superstar attacker.

But Nuñez doesn’t really seem like the type we should be after. We already have Kai and Mase playing more centrally. We need a wide player.

4 hours ago, Pizy said:

After seeing him firsthand, Klopp will probably push their board to sign him and they’ll have yet another superstar attacker.

But Nuñez doesn’t really seem like the type we should be after. We already have Kai and Mase playing more centrally. We need a wide player.

Yes our focus should be a goalscoring wingers instead of spending big money for another striker who might struggle with Tuchel system. 

Edited by Blues Forever

12 hours ago, Pizy said:

He's also very average on the ball, finds himself offsides more often than not but has a great work ethic and ability to get in behind the defence. Hmmm....sounds familiar.

Personally think we should stay well clear. 

1 hour ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

Agree, a clinical goalscoring wide forward is what we need. But how in the hell are we going to shift Lukaku...

Swap deal, loan with option/obligation, or straight sell. Both PSG and Atletico are in need for a new striker this summer. 

No one has an idea yet how the new owners will approach transfer windows moving forward but I do expect whoever of the 4 to win to invest this summer. 

There will be immediate scepticism over new ownership given how spoiled the club has been by Roman's investment and I think from a PR perspective, new owners will want to look at bringing in one or two players to help push the team on. New contracts for Tuchel and Rudiger I would expect to also curry favour with the fanbase. Perhaps if some players like Lukaku can be moved on too, then even bigger investment may take place.

11 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He's also very average on the ball, finds himself offsides more often than not but has a great work ethic and ability to get in behind the defence. Hmmm....sounds familiar.

Personally think we should stay well clear. 

I've only watched a YouTube compilation of Nunez but formed the opinion from it that I don't want this bloke at Chelsea. His shortcomings are obvious in that video and all of those ludicrous step overs reek of an ordinary player trying to pretend he's special. He lacks body control. His movement reminds me of what we used to call 'lanky'. Just awkward and unconvincing. Complete no as far as I'm concerned.

I had a very similar reaction to Nunez's video as I did to Adyemi's a few months ago in that I stopped watching before the end. In Adyemi's case this was because it was clear he had the talent so there was nothing more to be learnt from a highlights package. To judge the player properly it would be time to move on to all touches videos and full game coverage. I stopped watching Nunez's highlights because it seems to me that he does not have the talent. If the lad was coming through the academy a case could be made for adding him to the squad and giving him a chance to latch on. I'll be very disappointed however if the new owners spend money on him.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

8 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

No one has an idea yet how the new owners will approach transfer windows moving forward but I do expect whoever of the 4 to win to invest this summer. 

I think its becoming clear that the first window will be Tuchel's decision-making

with his brace last night against a really solid Atalanta side, Christopher Nkunku now has 30 goals as a MFer (plus 18 assists)

only 2 behind Bruno Penendes' all time topflight Euro record for a MFer (Lamps had the old record before Penendes at 27)

and he has done it in 1000 less minutes so far than Penendes and in a FAR stronger league

he likely has 10 games left, 8 at worst (he would have 14 left, 12 at worst, but the Bundesliga only has 18 teams, so only a 34 game season)

51 minutes ago, Vesper said:

with his brace last night against a really solid Atalanta side, Christopher Nkunku now has 30 goals as a MFer (plus 18 assists)

only 2 behind Bruno Penendes' all time topflight Euro record for a MFer (Lamps had the old record before Penendes at 27)

and he has done it in 1000 less minutes so far than Penendes and in a FAR stronger league

he likely has 10 games left, 8 at worst (he would have 14 left, 12 at worst, but the Bundesliga only has 18 teams, so only a 34 game season)

Very interested in him. Looks like a beast. But is he having a Werner or Sancho like season where he puts up insane stats in Germany and then looks mediocre when he steps up to a big club?

We should certainly be looking at him.