Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

Don't forget Tomori (I thinink the best of the 3 perhaps, for sure better than Zouma)

Attila Szalai was on most of my larger lists, but I wanted to tighten it up to the top 10 targets

Colwill can play centre CB

obviously so can Marquinhos

as can Pau Torres, KK, Robin Le Normand,  Josko Gvardiol, Merih Demiral, de Ligt

you want to see an impact, look at Adam Webster when he plays versus not plays

afb19b29f17210c5317b736a9c9dd60d.png

We should never have given Milan an option on Tomori. But that was already done come the summer, I just don't understand how we let Zouma and Guehi both leave permanently without having others tied up to contracts, it seemed incredibly arrogant on our part and we're paying the price for it now.

Biggest issue with someone like Webster is we won't get him on the cheap which then poses questions is he worth paying Premier League tax on? Bearing in mind there was talk at one point Brighton wanted £40-50m for Lewis Dunk.

Southampton boss Hasenhuttl on Livramento’s left knee injury: ‘It looks very serious’

https://theathletic.com/news/southampton-boss-hasenhuttl-on-livramentos-left-knee-injury-it-looks-very-serious/7hIGcgEnm1UC/

Southampton boss Hasenhuttl on Livramento’s left knee injury: ‘It looks very serious’.

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl believes Tino Livramento has sustained a “very serious” left knee injury.

Livramento, 19, was stretchered off with his leg in a brace during Southampton’s 2-2 draw with Brighton & Hove Albion on Sunday.

It is understood that Livramento will have a scan on Monday to determine the exact nature of his injury.

The former Chelsea full-back immediately signalled to the bench after going down in the 37th minute of Sunday’s match, and was replaced by Romain Perraud after a lengthy stoppage.

Speaking after the draw at the Amex Stadium, Hasenhuttl confirmed Livramento’s injury looks severe.

“It looks very serious,” he said. “This is all I can say at the moment.

“He is absolutely frustrated and that is understandable for a young lad on the way up with a fantastic season so far. Getting such an injury is never easy.

“We were immediately helping him and telling him he will come back even stronger. We will give him all the support he needs.”

Livramento has made 28 Premier League appearances for Southampton in his debut season in senior football, also earning call-ups to the England Under-21 side.

Southampton came from two goals down to draw with Brighton, with Danny Welbeck and Mohammed Salisu’s own goal cancelled out by a double from James Ward-Prowse.

Thomas Tuchel confirms Antonio Rudiger will leave Chelsea at end of the season

https://theathletic.com/news/thomas-tuchel-confirms-antonio-rudiger-will-leave-Chelsea-at-end-of-the-season/d8LOjUq4rLmo/

Thomas Tuchel confirms Antonio Rudiger will leave Chelsea at end of the season.

Chelsea head coach Thomas Tuchel has confirmed that Antonio Rudiger intends to leave the club this summer.

The Athletic revealed on Friday that Rudiger had decided to seek a move away from Chelsea, with his contract up at the end of June.

The west London club’s inability to agree fresh terms with the 29-year-old before owner Roman Abramovich was sanctioned by the UK government in March proved problematic.

It was previously reported that Rudiger wanted to make a decision on his future by the end of April — Chelsea’s takeover is not expected to be completed until May.

Tuchel confirmed Rudiger’s imminent departure following the 1-0 win over West Ham on Sunday, which the defender missed through injury.

“The situation is that he wants to leave the club,” Tuchel said. “He informed me of this in a private talk.

“We gave everything — me and the club — but we could not fight anymore because of the actions.

“Without the sanctions, we would have at least had the chance to keep fighting for Rudiger to stay but for many weeks now, our hands have been tied.”

Chelsea’s first contract offer was made last August but that proposal was seen as something of an insult with Rudiger already one of the lowest-paid senior players on around £90,000-a-week.

It did not help matters that Romelu Lukaku was given a base wage of about £340,000-a-week when he joined from Inter Milan for a club-record £97.5 million last summer.

It took four months for negotiations to properly resume again and the two parties did get a lot closer to an agreement.

The Athletic has been told that Chelsea — who were determined to make Rudiger the highest-paid defender in their history — in February offered a four-year deal worth £230,000-a-week, plus a signing on fee.

It was still less than what some other clubs were prepared to pay, however, with offers worth in excess of £290,000-a-week made to the Germany international.

Rudiger has been able to talk with foreign clubs about joining them as a free agent in the summer since January. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Paris Saint Germain, Juventus, and Bayern Munich have all made contact in some form. Manchester United are also keen.

But there was optimism at Chelsea and in Rudiger’s camp that one more offer would secure his signature because the player’s preference all along has been to stay at Stamford Bridge and continue to play for Tuchel.

It is understood that Rudiger did not need the biggest financial sum to stay at Chelsea, and was willing to accept a smaller amount than those offered to him by other clubs, due to his strong relationship with Tuchel and the club’s fanbase.

Could Chelsea have done more to convince Rudiger to sign?

Chelsea felt that giving Rudiger £230,000-a-week was a significant figure and were optimistic it would meet his requirements. This proposal was made weeks before the sanctions hit.

But what made the agreement much harder to finalise was that Rudiger’s agent wanted a large signing on fee for himself and the player. It is thought that would have added tens of millions to the overall figure, putting Rudiger out of Chelsea’s reach.

The Athletic has learned that other clubs keen on Rudiger suggested they were willing to meet those demands at the time. However, Rudiger was still hopeful some middle ground could be found and it wasn’t the end of the matter as far as he was concerned.

But no-one could have predicted what would happen to Abramovich and the club being put up for sale at that point.

Which club is Rudiger likely to sign for?

There have been reports in Italy that Real Madrid are confident of signing Rudiger but he has not decided his destination yet.

Barcelona, Juventus, Paris Saint Germain, Manchester United and Bayern Munich are still in contention.

The latter’s interest had appeared to decrease earlier in the year but their defeat to Villarreal in the Champions League Quarter Final has led to them resuming their pursuit.

Rudiger is anticipated to choose who his next club will be next week.

What does this news mean for Chelsea’s other defenders?

With Andreas Christensen expected to join Barcelona on a free transfer — his contract also expires this summer and no extension has been agreed — it means Tuchel is losing two international centre backs from his squad.

There is real concern captain Cesar Azpilicueta will make it a hat-trick despite a 12-month option being triggered in his contract earlier this year after playing a certain amount of games this season.

Barcelona still want to sign the 32-year-old and are prepared to give him a longer deal.

Has Rudiger played his last game in a Chelsea shirt?

Rudiger has won five major honours since joining Chelsea from Roma for £29 million in 2017.

He is still determined to end his career at the club on a high by ensuring they secure a top four finish in the Premier League and beat Liverpool in the FA Cup final on May 14.

Rudiger missed the 4-2 loss against Arsenal and 1-0 win over West Ham with a minor groin injury. He hopes to be back for the match at Manchester United on Thursday.

But since Abramovich was sanctioned, Chelsea have not been able to discuss contracts with anybody.

Edited by Vesper

Remember the days when guys like Drogba and Ballack would practically be pining to have their contracts renewed by the club?

Our standards had started to fall well before the sanctions hit, making it more likely for players to be stand-off'ish in their contract negotiations. 

Before Hazard and Courtois left, the best players wanted to stay and fight on.

On a side note, have a feeling that Courtois and Hazard were egging on Rudiger to join Madrid.  They've known each other pretty well from Chelsea.

Hope the next generation of Chelsea players like Mount, James, Havertz and Callagher again make Chelsea the attractive destination it used to be.

6 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Remember the days when guys like Drogba and Ballack would practically be pining to have their contracts renewed by the club?

Our standards had started to fall well before the sanctions hit, making it more likely for players to be stand-off'ish in their contract negotiations. 

Before Hazard and Courtois left, the best players wanted to stay and fight on.

On a side note, have a feeling that Courtois and Hazard were egging on Rudiger to join Madrid.  They've known each other pretty well from Chelsea.

Hope the next generation of Chelsea players like Mount, James, Havertz and Callagher again make Chelsea the attractive destination it used to be.

The difference here is the likes of Drogba, Ballack, Terry, Lampard were towards the end of their careers so staying at Chelsea would have been the goal.

Unfortunately the pull of Barca and Madrid has and probably always been there. We're not the only team to lose top players to them. I think Courtois and Hazard there was always the likelihood it would happen at some stage.

Maybe it's just me, but as an Englishman growing up when I played football I dreamed of playing in the Premier League and for Chelsea. Spanish football wasn't really a big thing, if anything Italian football was the most attractive foreign league over here because it was on TV but there was no pull of Barca and Madrid. I'm a generation further in front, but I get the impression that most English players don't have that same drive and will to play abroad like their foreign counterparts. We as a country are pretty content with our own language and culture and I don't think the same appeal is there. 

With the academy graduates it's something that we definitely have to push that they're in the best place, playing for the team they've grown up with challenging for the top trophies and hopefully like you said if you can build a squad that has those mainstays within the group who know what it means to pull on this shirt it hopefully helps other players coming in to understand it to.

Tuchel may well walk IF we lose enough of these players

chances (some for sure, some iffy, some really good) of all (or many) of the following leaving (some are not necessarily bad if they do leave and some are a damn good thing)

ones I wish would stay for are in bold

Kepa Arrizabalaga (mixed emotions)
Antonio Rüdiger
Andreas Christensen
Malang Sarr  he better be fucking GONE
Marcos Alonso (mixed emotions for one more season)
Reece James
César Azpilicueta  (mixed emotions for one more season)
N'Golo Kanté 
Jorginho (sell him)
Saúl Ñíguez (zero chance we buy him)
Ruben Loftus-Cheek (he may well stay)
Ross Barkley 
Kenedy (how shit is he??! LOL he cannot even beat out SARR for LB time)
Charly Musonda Jr. (released at end of season)
Callum Hudson-Odoi  
Romelu Lukaku
Timo Werner  

Loanees

Dujon Sterling (if we lose Reece and and Azpi and fail on a RB, he likely stays)
Jake Clarke-Salter
Ian Maatsen (not at all convinced he is Chels quality yet)
Juan Castillo
Ethan Ampadu (he may stay, I remain unconvinced on his future here)
Matt Miazga
Baba Rahman
Emerson 
Tiémoué Bakayoko
Danny Drinkwater
Tino Anjorin (not really sure what is up with him, obviously the sale to Lokomotiv Moscow is off)
Michy Batshuayi

final 5 narrowed CB targets

Milan Skriniar  (last big go-round for me with him, as he turns 29 in the middle of the season after next, and it is insane to buy a CB for £65, 70m and only get one full sub 30yo year out of them

Pau Torres (he has finally won me over, very near to, if not now, WC, would much rather take him than Kounde)

Bremer   (a beast, has developed into a rock solid CB)

Merih Demiral (has been immense for Atalanta)

Josko Gvardiol   (great young Croatian)

RB is simple (it is staggeringly weak worldwide, the worst position by far I have seen in ages, Pedro Porro, lol, is ranked 8th, Livramento (now maybe out until 2023 due to a possible horrific knee injury, sob) is ranked 9th, Emerson Royal 10th! ffs ) Unless you add back Kimmich as a RB, there are only 4 WC RBs atm (Hakimi, TAA, Reece, and João Cancelo, who is now a LB mostly atm) then Walker (who turns 32yo in a month), then a massive drop off 

one name (as we've no chance with Hakimi)

Matty Cash

I am at a loss whom we should go for if we don't pull him, not at all sold on Sergiño Dest

I would buy Djed Spence from Forest for Cash's backup IF Reece disastrously leaves

Edited by Vesper

CF is also simple

sell Donkeykaku

bring back Broja, keep Werner, roll with Kai and Broja and Werner

none of these 10 are happening

Kylian Mbappe 
Erling Haaland  
Harry Kane    
Dusan Vlahovic   (massive cockup by the board)
Victor Osimhen    (this is who I would buy, but zero chance we drop £85 to 95m on him)
Robert Lewandowski    
Lautaro Martínez   
Darwin Núñez   
Gabriel Jesus 
Alexander Isak (he has slumped massively as well, only 5 league goals, 9 overall)

I doubt we make a move yet for Karim Adeyemi or Hugo Ekitike

Not convinced on Amine Gouiri

The priority for this summer should be 2 CBs, backup RB and LB, DM, and 2 wingers. 

LB: Sosa or Raum

RB: Cash or Spence

CB: Gvardiol, Kounde or Timber

DM: Kamara (free)

RW/LW: Dembele (free), Raphinha or Gnabry

Edited by Blues Forever

1 hour ago, Blues Forever said:

The priority for this summer should be 2 CBs, backup RB and LB, DM, and Winger. 

exactly, and pray Reece stays

right now for you picks

CB Milan Škriniar

CB Bremer

LB Borna Sosa (I cannot see us rolling the dice on Spinazzola due to his Achilles rupture)

RB Matty Cash

DMF Aurélien Tchouaméni (or IF fucking Real Madrid also grab him, (a big possibility ffs, thanks board!), then we MAY have to just plonk down £100m for Rice. If not either then Rúben Neves and Kalvin Phillips are the only 2 other options I might go for, and to show you how time truly flies, Neves turns bloody 26yo next season, Phillips 28)

Winger (must be a Pool type potential danger danger type) Chiesa is also off the board due to his horrific knee injury so that leaves

Raphinha (looks to be maybe Barca bound, a big miss)
Christopher Nkunku  (Insane production at AMF/winger, 30 goals, 20 assists already, in just 3500 minutes)
Serge Gnabry (if he doesn't renew with Bayern)
Ousmane Dembélé (if he doesn't renew with Barca, but it now looks like he will, ffs)
Moussa Diaby
Jarrod Bowen
Pedro Neto
Kamaldeen Sulemana (potentially a Mane type, just turned 20)

Edited by Vesper

Player Analysis: Kamaldeen Sulemana – Breaking The Lines

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/player-analysis-kamaldeen-sulemana/

Player Analysis: Kamaldeen Sulemana

April 14, 2022

Somewhere in the largely unknown Danish Superliga, scouts from clubs throughout Europe were coming to watch a teenager from Ghana who’d been turning heads with his blistering pace and defence-distorting dribbling abilities.

FC Nordsjælland’s Kamaldeen Sulemana was taking Denmark by storm during the 2020/21 season, terrorising opposition defenders with his unpredictable moves and gradually improving end-product.

He finished the season with an impressive 10 goals and 8 assists in all competitions for Nordsjælland and it soon became evident that he would be moving on from the Danish club and taking the next step in his promising career.

Kamaldeen was briefly linked with a move to Manchester United, but it was evident that such a move was far too big a jump at this stage in his career. For a while, he seemed destined to end up in an Ajax jersey as most reports suggested a deal was all but done.

How a Forward-Thinking Focus On People Made FC Nordsjælland Great

Ultimately, however, it was Ligue 1 club Stade Rennais that would acquire the services of the Ghanaian winger from right beneath the noses of the Dutch champions.

There was evident frustration from Ajax as Kamaldeen was very highly-rated in Amsterdam, which is a good sign considering Ajax’s fantastic track record for talent identification.

It’s possible that Kamaldeen felt that his playing time would be more consistent at Stade Rennais as he likely would’ve had Dušan Tadić, David Neres and Antony as preferred options ahead of him at Ajax.

There was plenty of excitement surrounding Kamaldeen upon his arrival in France. A player with his skillset can light up stadiums every week and that was the expectation, despite his considerably young age.

He made his Ligue 1 debut against RC Lens and made an immediate impact, scoring a goal and completing 4 dribbles. Stade Rennais supporters had already received a taste of what to expect from the Ghana international.

It’s been made rather clear at this point but, to reiterate, Kamaldeen is a truly elite 1 v 1 dribbler. His combination of speed, agility and creativity make him an absolute nightmare for opposition defenders.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-08-at-6.18.00-AM.png

Photo: Kamaldeen per 90 stats [FBref]

High-level 1 v 1 dribblers are incredibly difficult to find and should therefore be treated as extremely valuable commodities.

With a skillset like Kamaldeen’s, you have a player who can create something out of nothing, and significant focus can therefore be dedicated towards polishing up his end-product.

For Stade Rennais, not only is this an investment in Kamaldeen’s potential, but it’s also an investment in the club’s ability to develop a player with his raw ability.

During the French club’s 3-3 draw with Vitesse in the UEFA Europa Conference League, Kamaldeen completed a highly impressive 7 dribbles, according to SofaScore.

Mohammed Salisu: Southampton’s Ghanaian Rock in Defense

In fact, the mercurial Ghanaian ranks 5th in the Europa Conference League in successful dribbles per game (3.0) at a 79% completion rate. That’s a remarkable success rate considering his high volume and it puts him in an elite tier of young dribblers.

He also ranks 5th in Ligue 1 in successful dribbles per game (2.7) at a 59% success rate. Adjusting to a new league is never an easy transition, especially for such a young player, but Kamaldeen has handled it rather well and should only go from strength-to-strength.

Kamaldeen heavily favours the left flank in possession. He often uses the full width of the pitch to drag defenders wide and beat them in 1 v 1 situations or draw double teams, subsequently creating space for teammates in more central positions.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-08-at-6.20.20-AM.png Screen-Shot-2022-04-08-at-6.20.34-AM.png

Kamaldeen’s legend and action graphic [Smarterscout]

Screen-Shot-2022-04-08-at-6.22.04-AM.png

Kamaldeen’s heat map [Sofascore]

As the graphics show, Kamaldeen is heavily left-wing focused in his style of play. Part of that is likely the manager’s tactical approach, but it’s also evidently the way in which the former Nordsjælland starlet prefers to play.

By having a wider starting position, he gives himself more room in which to pull full-backs away from a compact block and use his dribbling abilities to win 1 v 1 duels.

His electric pace also means he can beat defenders down the line and get into more advanced positions where he can either cut inside or use his weaker left foot with which he is a capable playmaker, although he could still improve his weaker foot.

That said, Kamaldeen is not positionally one-dimensional. He is capable of being productive off the right flank, which makes sense considering his particular skillset.

His goal against FC Metz is a good example of what the Stade Rennais star is capable of when he finds himself on the right-wing.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-08-at-6.23.40-AM.png

Kamaldeen shows many of his best attributes for this goal. He draws three defenders to him, two of whom mark him closely, and this subsequently forces the rest of the Metz defenders deeper into the box to cover the rest of the Stade Rennais players.

The Ghanaian winger eases past the two defenders with a wonderful move before stabbing the ball off the underside of the bar and into the net. It was a sensational goal from an exhilarating youngster and it showed what he’s capable of coming off the right flank.

In fact, his attributes might be better suited for a right winger who stretches the pitch and can beat his defender down the flank with his blistering pace or dribble into more central zones and be a playmaker from there.

One of the greatest benefits of Kamaldeen being so young is that there’s plenty of time to mould him into a particular kind of player whilst still retaining the skills he’s learnt up to this point.

Despite these capabilities off the right, however, Kamaldeen has still done most of his damage playing off the left. His assist against Paris-Saint Germain is a great example of how dangerous he can be playing off his favoured left wing.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-08-at-6.25.34-AM.pngScreen-Shot-2022-04-08-at-6.25.34-AM.png

The mere threat of Kamaldeen dribbling forces his defender to step back and give him extra space in which to operate.

He uses this space intelligently by cutting onto his right foot and whipping a devastating cross towards the back post for Gaëtan Laborde to finish and give Stade Rennais the lead against the Parisian giants. 

This goal also provides insight into Kamaldeen’s potential as a high-volume goal and assist provider if he polishes up his end-product.

That said, he still has some way to go to truly reach that level as a consistent threat in scoring or assisting goals.

According to transfermarkt.com, the Ghanaian prospect has scored 5 goals and provided 2 assists in 27 appearances for his club this season — 15 starts and 12 appearances off the bench, to be specific.

This isn’t a terrible return, especially in terms of goalscoring, but there’s evidently significant room to improve and increase these numbers and, subsequently, become trusted as a more regular starter.

His decision-making is probably the biggest hurdle for him to overcome at the moment. At just 20 years old, Kamaldeen has plenty of time to improve in this regard, provided he applies himself to make these required improvements.

Many of the world’s most prolific forwards have shown us how impactful off-ball movement can be in improving one’s end-product.

The likes of Sadio Mané and Mohamed Salah evolved from being exciting, mercurial dribblers with good numbers to being more calculated dribblers with elite numbers.

A large reason for that has been their willingness to use their athletic gifts and offensive instincts to move off the ball and get into dangerous positions.

This is something Kamaldeen must do to enter the top echelon of his fellow African forwards as a goal threat. That said, the youngster has shown glimpses of being a willing and capable threat off the ball.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-08-at-6.28.33-AM.png

On his debut for Stade Rennais, Kamaldeen scored a lovely goal against RC Lens. A counter-attack begins and Kamaldeen sprints down the left half-space and uses his pace to get ahead of the Lens defenders.

He then squares up to his defender in a 1 v 1 situation before cutting onto his right foot and bending a shot past the motionless goalkeeper.

If these movements can become a regular part of his game, Kamaldeen can become a significantly more dangerous player in the final third.

As previously mentioned, he’s still very young and, therefore, these improvements can be made. He’s such a dynamic player and this feels like the natural progression in his footballing evolution.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-08-at-6.30.18-AM.png

Photo: Crab Stats Graphics

I believe the player progression Kamaldeen should aim to follow is that of Vinícius Júnior. The Real Madrid starlet had very similar traits to Kamaldeen when he was first emerging for Los Blancos.

He was an exciting, unpredictable dribbler who was almost purely focused on being an on-ball threat, at the expense of being dangerous off the ball.

Vinícius was also a fairly poor finisher and many Madrid fans were worried about whether he’d be able to improve his end-product to the point that he’d become a key player for the team.

Those fears have now been alleviated and Vinícius looks like the player that was promised when Real Madrid splashed a reported €46 million on the young Brazilian.

Kamaldeen shares many of the traits and attributes that were displayed by Vinícius Júnior early in his career, so the hope should be that he can make similar improvements in that regard.

The former Flamengo wonderkid is now one of the best wingers in world football, so it’s certainly a high bar for Kamaldeen to clear, but I believe it’s a realistic one too.

Evidently, I believe Kamaldeen Sulemana has the potential to become a genuine world-class player. He’s extremely raw at the moment, but there are so many directions in which his talent can take him.

It’ll largely come down to how he applies himself in his own development as a player, but it’s also important that Stade Rennais develop their upstart winger into the player they hope he will become so that he can be a legitimate star for them, before likely moving on to a bigger club in the future.

Such a move, however, is a distant thought right now, and the only concern for Kamaldeen should be how to go from a promising young prospect to a genuinely elite player.

Edited by Vesper