Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

He is ahead of both in terms of ability though. Last season he struggled for fitness and has had wee niggles here and there this season but he still has 8 goals in 15 games so far for a poor Juventus side.

For a free, if he’s fit and firing, he will get between 10-15 goals minimum over the course of a season. He’s proven this every year at Juventus barring last season. It hasn’t helped his development as a player that he was also seen as the main man in that side prior to Ronaldo’s arrival and then shunted in and around to try accommodate Ronaldo, who they built around. Obviously he isn’t Ronaldo but the Juventus team prior to Ronaldo’s arrival was much better and he was a huge part of it.

Although right now I think we could take next to anyone and they’d be more consistent than Werner and Ziyech.

Easy to say that from the outside. Wait till they come here and it will probably become a different story altogether. 

5 minutes ago, Jase said:

Easy to say that from the outside. Wait till they come here and it will probably become a different story altogether. 

Well there is that also 😂 seems to be a reoccurring theme with offensive players here 

22 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Well there is that also 😂 seems to be a reoccurring theme with offensive players here 

Club focuses more on output rather than if the player can fit the system. 

Broja would've faired far better than Lukaku. 

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Club focuses more on output rather than if the player can fit the system. 

Broja would've faired far better than Lukaku. 

I think its all good saying that in hindsight but we would of been laughed out of the title running before a ball was kicked if we didn’t sign a recognised CF and used Broja instead - regardless of how well he would do or wouldn’t do. There was a clear problem with conversion and you’d of thought a proven 25 goals a season man would solve it.

15 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

. There was a clear problem with conversion and you’d of thought a proven 25 goals a season man would solve it.

But that is the issue. Right there. 

Literally 90% of the forum predicted he wouldn't deliver because he doesn't fit the system. The club, and the other 10% of the fanbase, just looked at his output. 

46 minutes ago, DDA said:

I like the look of Gravenberch. Wonder if he would make it in the Prem.

An absolute gem in FIFA 22 career mode. Best CM in the game imo. 

Given how Ziyech, VDB, and De Jong have faired outside of the Eredivisie, he would be a gamble. 

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Throw Sarr into the list as well. Despite who is leaving, I think we may only get 1 or 2 CBs next summer on the suspicion we may go back to a back 4. 

Squad wise it might be sensible. With Billy and Conor returning we have an abundance of midfielders but will probably be at least 1 CB short compared to the current situation.

That being said, I doubt TT will just go back to before just bc it is more suitable to the number of options we have in the respective positions. He would do so only to add more variety to his tactical repertoire. I don't think he will bin the 3atb any time soon.

11 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I don't think he will bin the 3atb any time soon.

The CM's in Tuchel's system are in my opinion the most important.

People bang on about how our midfield two cannot provide enough in the final third, being goals or assists. I think this system prevents, or limits them from doing so as it will always be a trade off. Kovacic, Kante, and Jorginho make the system tick because they are very disciplined in their possession and position. Adding a creative midfielder in there is going to create an unbalance in that midfield. 

5 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

But that is the issue. Right there. 

Literally 90% of the forum predicted he wouldn't deliver because he doesn't fit the system. The club, and the other 10% of the fanbase, just looked at his output. 

True, valid points and I have seen some other posts from you and other guys about him not fitting and the system being affected etc which I agree with points from (too big a can of worms to type out probably could post something that would take all day to type) but lets not beat around the bush here, we needed a striker. This striker, regardless of if it were Kane, Lukaku, Aguero or whoever else, was the one thing we needed to go and push City and Liverpool. We got Lukaku, many pundits, journalists, fans etc thought Lukaku to Chelsea, thats the move they need, they will be right up there come the end of the season because he will score them goals.

Don’t want to take anything away from the way we won the CL without that sort of numbers from a CF but the CL is different (because we had some excellent games and fully deserved to win it outright in my opinion based on the majority of the knockout games), its knockout football, not nearly 40 games over the slog of the best part of 10 or 11 months or so and promising system or tactic or not, those guys wont do it enough so thats why we better hope Lukaku or another attacker can get a lot of goals to compensate for that. And lets not pretend that running the gap close/trying to win the title wasn’t going to be the objective this year after what Tuchel did with this group in a short space, so to do that, we needed a CF and well when looking at a CF, one thing tends to stand out more than anything else - how many goals did/do they score? Stats do overshadow things in football but even then, I find it hard to believe a manager as good as Tuchel cannot find a way to get goals and more out of Lukaku as well as keep the other good things we’ve seen from others than what we’ve seen so far. Even if he has got limitations. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

16 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

True, valid points and I have seen some other posts from you and other guys about him not fitting and the system being affected etc which I agree with points from (too big a can of worms to type out probably could post something that would take all day to type) but lets not beat around the bush here, we needed a striker. This striker, regardless of if it were Kane, Lukaku, Aguero or whoever else, was the one thing we needed to go and push City and Liverpool. We got Lukaku, many pundits, journalists, fans etc thought Lukaku to Chelsea, thats the move they need, they will be right up there come the end of the season because he will score them goals.

Don’t want to take anything away from the way we won the CL without that sort of numbers from a CF but the CL is different (because we had some excellent games and fully deserved to win it outright in my opinion based on the majority of the knockout games), its knockout football, not nearly 40 games over the slog of the best part of 10 or 11 months or so and promising system or tactic or not, those guys wont do it enough so thats why we better hope Lukaku or another attacker can get a lot of goals to compensate for that. And lets not pretend that running the gap close/trying to win the title wasn’t going to be the objective this year after what Tuchel did with this group in a short space, so to do that, we needed a CF and well when looking at a CF, one thing tends to stand out more than anything else - how many goals did/do they score? Stats do overshadow things in football but even then, I find it hard to believe a manager as good as Tuchel cannot find a way to get goals and more out of Lukaku as well as keep the other good things we’ve seen from others than what we’ve seen so far. Even if he has got limitations. 

But it's that type of thinking that can hinder squads for years. Both Klopp and Pep have always preached that if the right signing isn't available, don't go for the wrong one. This is exactly what happened to us in 2017 when Conte's first choice options weren't available, so he opted for his plan B's and C's. These signings have hindered us for years and we are still feeling the affect. This is something I am amazed neither Tuchel nor the club especially considered before buying Lukaku. 

As many have alluded to, we should of just took our chances with who we have + Broja and wait for the right signings.  

35 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

The CM's in Tuchel's system are in my opinion the most important.

People bang on about how our midfield two cannot provide enough in the final third, being goals or assists. I think this system prevents, or limits them from doing so as it will always be a trade off. Kovacic, Kante, and Jorginho make the system tick because they are very disciplined in their possession and position. Adding a creative midfielder in there is going to create an unbalance in that midfield. 

yeah, in our 3atb our 2 cms have to be rather conservative and defensively strong to allow the wingbacks to be this offensive, make runs behind the opposition defence and come inside for shooting positions. In a back 4 we would have the fullbacks playing way more conservatively and two midfielders being more adventorous. There is no optimal solution, it is just two different approaches. I think a huge factor is how long it takes teams to get used to our system. We are currently the only big CL club to play 3atb so it makes it awkward to play against us esp in big games. But at some point we will become more predictable and might need to switch things up. As long as Thiago is our main cb tho i think he will need to be protected by two fast cbs aroudn him, so i guess next season will still be mostly 3atb if TT stays.