Todd Boehly Thread

20 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Re-hiring Lampard was the tipping point for me (and before SFL fans jump on my back, I accept that its not Frank's fault in any way).

It showed that these people don't take the consequences seriously enough.

Replacing Tuchel with the relatively green Potter was risky enough. 

But replacing Potter just to placate the fans, and then hire a novice in Lampard as a scapegoat? Very short term thinking.

If they wanted to wait till summer to get their permanent manager (who I hope is actually good enough), then why not wait till the summer before removing Potter?

Its all short-term thinking. Just like the decision to keep D. Fofana away from a loan and to rot on the bench. 

I Personally think that Potter was the really odd hire. I couldn't care less if he's English or not, but he just did not do enough to warrant the bet.

If you are in tech, or any other jobs really, the sad reality is that you get hired for the things you've done before: once you pick a field/area of expertise, or that field picks you, it's hard to shake it off. I look back at bets, right or wrong, and I see something done before that was worth duplicating (barring those ex-player tampons). With Potter, I saw nothing worth replicating... not at this level. There is NOTHING in Brighton's play that I see that makes me think, "hmm Real should pay attention here."

While I agree it is short-term thinking, I don't think that's what they originally wanted. I do think they had a plan, which was probably a pipe dream as the owners are clearly learning on the job.

Edited by robsblubot

28 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

I Personally think that Potter was the really odd hiring. I couldn't care less if he's English or not, but he just did not do enough to warrant the bet.

If you are in tech, or in other jobs, the sad reality is that you get hired for the things you've done before: once you pick a field/area of expertise, or that field picks you, it's hard to shake it off. I look back at bets, right or wrong, and I see something done before that was worth duplicating (barring those ex-player tampons). With Potter, I saw nothing worth replicating... not at this level. There is NOTHING in Brighton's play that I see that makes me think, hmm Real should pay attention here.

While I agree it is short-term thinking, I don't think that's what they originally wanted. I do think they had a plan, which was probably a pipe dream as the owners are seem to be clearly learning on the job.

I really hope that latter part is true.

Even if we write off this disaster of a first season, they better change things to make us fight back strong next season.

Edited by Blue Armour

Bohely has ruined our club.

I've said before and say again if he wants to help CFC then sell the fucking club you "dim witted cunt"

The only place we're going next season with him in charge is Div2🥵

Edited by bigbluewillie

The Glazers, Randy Lerner, Hicks and Gillett, Boehly if you want someone to ruin your club give it to a yank. I swear if Trump hadn't run for presidency he would have eyed up a football sorry soccer club. I haven't watched Ted Lasso on principle I don't care if it's great, like kippers and custard somethings just don't go together like Americans and Soccerball. We are royally fucked no coming back from this in a couple of seasons we will be looking at similar types of managers like Potter again no big names are going to want to come to this circus run by ringmaster Todd.

13 hours ago, Henrique said:

Seriously: I can't believe some fools on Twitter and Reddit can't accept Todd is THE reason for the current mess, just because he spent 500m on players. I mean, come on guys. We bought this kind of players with that amount of cash:

Cucurella, Mudryk, 2 Fofanas, Badiashile, Gusto, Madueke, Colwill, Sterling, Nkunku, overpriced Enzo and João Felix on an ultra expensive loan.

Let me be clear here: none of those players are or ever will be world class players. Its just amusing and shocking that we spent 500m players on a bunch of average players, and I'm quite comfortable in saying that right now we are weaker than we were last season in pretty much every position of the field, but right now we won't be able to spend big for a good amount of years, without risking suffering penalties from both UEFA and Premier League.

We are doomed and we must accept that we are going to suffer what Manchester and Arsenal fans suffered in past 10 years: supporting a club that became a laughing stock and that nobody respects. It will take years, if not decades, before we are a top club again, in terms of results and it won't happen under the current owners, unless they simply walk away from football activity and let people who understand the game run the club. 

Not sure why Colwill is being mentioned, he's an academy product doing quite well on loan in the Premier League. 

Similar things can be said for Gusto & Nkunku, they haven't even played a game for Chelsea and you're effectively writing off their careers by saying "they are a waste of money". 

I get the point of the post but to sum it all up, we're paying the price for signing players that other clubs were interested in. 

• Joao Felix (was wanted by United/Arsenal before they heard the loan fee and they backed off....and for some reason we were stupid enough to pay Atletico to take a player they don't need). 
  • Mudryk (was begging to go to Arsenal and play with his best mate Zinchenko yet we paid an extra 10-15 million and Shaktar couldn't believe how easy it was to rob us)
  • Cucurella (was wanted by City as a backup LB yet they never bid more than 35 million for him....and we somehow end up paying 55+ million, it just goes to show how strong City's football department is). 

9 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Not sure why Colwill is being mentioned, he's an academy product doing quite well on loan in the Premier League. 

Similar things can be said for Gusto & Nkunku, they haven't even played a game for Chelsea and you're effectively writing off their careers by saying "they are a waste of money". 

I get the point of the post but to sum it all up, we're paying the price for signing players that other clubs were interested in. 

• Joao Felix (was wanted by United/Arsenal before they heard the loan fee and they backed off....and for some reason we were stupid enough to pay Atletico to take a player they don't need). 
  • Mudryk (was begging to go to Arsenal and play with his best mate Zinchenko yet we paid an extra 10-15 million and Shaktar couldn't believe how easy it was to rob us)
  • Cucurella (was wanted by City as a backup LB yet they never bid more than 35 million for him....and we somehow end up paying 55+ million, it just goes to show how strong City's football department is). 

Gusto and Nkunku are not going to turn us into a much better side, specially when Gusto is not more than a Reece James backup. 

About getting players that other teams wanted, if other clubs want to pay 30m for a donkey, it doesnt mean we should pay 50m for them. 

9 hours ago, Laylabelle said:

Everything Drogba says makes so much sense. I dont recognise the club either..we lack so much now that held it together

Drogba is my all time favorite,

And while I absolutely see where he's coming from, I wish he hadn't made his thoughts public.

Already there's little faith in the ownership. But these kind of comments might dissuade other potential stars from joining the club, if that's what a club legend thinks.

Lampard was right to pour cold water over Didiers comments yesterday. 

Even if the comments are truthful, they do not help the club.

1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

Drogba is my all time favorite,

And while I absolutely see where he's coming from, I wish he hadn't made his thoughts public.

Already there's little faith in the ownership. But these kind of comments might dissuade other potential stars from joining the club, if that's what a club legend thinks.

Lampard was right to pour cold water over Didiers comments yesterday. 

Even if the comments are truthful, they do not help the club.

Are you serious? 😂

He’s well within his rights to make these comments public. I am actually shocked it has taken a ex Chels player this long to say something about the current state of affairs that a lot of fans can agree with.

I am assuming Thiago Silva shouldn't of made his comments either going off your logic? Because his comments basically criticised the club’s strategy.

There is minimal faith in the ownership already (since Tuchel sacking I’ve been skeptical and this year has proven me right) but thats never going to be because of an ex players comments. If you look at how we’ve gotten here, people will say thats why there is minimal faith in the ownership.

I am actually shocked that more ex Chels, particularly the ones who are in the media/pundit roles (Joe Cole being a big one, keeps banging on the sympathy drum for his pal Frank) haven’t said anything similar - it genuinely makes me wonder if they are just stupid or just afraid because they have friends in there still. Where as Gary Neville has been overly critical of Boehly in the media since day 1 basically, which he was criticised for but who is laughing now? 

The club needs to help itself and that starts with Boehly & Eghbali sorting themselves out. This year is going to be alarming for some looking in and maybe it will turn away some potential managers/coaches or players but thats been brought on again by incompetence. Not by Drogba’s comments. But because the club has a history of being successful under the previous ownership, and has a lure still, then maybe they’ll get away with it this year. But if its the same next year, then it will become more difficult. 

Lampard, like Potter, clearly too afraid to tell Boehly not to come into the dressing room every week so obviously he’s not going to agree with Didier’s comments when Boehly & co’s influence is what he’s hinting at, particularly when he’s in debt to him to be in a job. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Are you serious? 😂

He’s well within his rights to make these comments public. I am actually shocked it has taken a ex Chels player this long to say something about the current state of affairs that a lot of fans can agree with.

I am assuming Thiago Silva shouldn't of made his comments either going off your logic? Because his comments basically criticised the club’s strategy.

There is minimal faith in the ownership already (since Tuchel sacking I’ve been skeptical and this year has proven me right) but thats never going to be because of an ex players comments. If you look at how we’ve gotten here, people will say thats why there is minimal faith in the ownership.

I am actually shocked that more ex Chels, particularly the ones who are in the media/pundit roles (Joe Cole being a big one, keeps banging on the sympathy drum for his pal Frank) haven’t said anything similar - it genuinely makes me wonder if they are just stupid or just afraid because they have friends in there still. Where as Gary Neville has been overly critical of Boehly in the media since day 1 basically, which he was criticised for but who is laughing now? 

The club needs to help itself and that starts with Boehly & Eghbali sorting themselves out. This year is going to be alarming for some looking in and maybe it will turn away some potential managers/coaches or players but thats been brought on again by incompetence. Not by Drogba’s comments. But because the club has a history of being successful under the previous ownership, and has a lure still, then maybe they’ll get away with it this year. But if its the same next year, then it will become more difficult. 

Lampard, like Potter, clearly too afraid to tell Boehly not to come into the dressing room every week so obviously he’s not going to agree with Didier’s comments when Boehly & co’s influence is what he’s hinting at, particularly when he’s in debt to him to be in a job. 

All true.

But what do you think is going to be the outcome?

That Boehly is going to pack up and leave? No. And I doubt these people will listen to the current, or ex-players for their opinions. It's negative fan sentiment that is driving this train.

What's happening for sure is we are out of Europe. 

That's already going to make us less attractive as a destination for good players. Club legends criticizing the club will only worsen it.

I'm glad Didier feels the same way, but I don't see his comments helping our cause.

Edited by Blue Armour

I think most takes in here are massive over reactions. 

Saying the club is ruined and all that... Don't know about that. Pure hyperbole considering most of the signings we made - everyone was happy about. The club actually bought the players everyone was after. Only thing we don't have is a number 9 and some semblance of stability with a proper manager and tactics.

This is the biggest period of change we have ever gone through in the last 20 years. It doesn't happen overnight. I'm actually super impressed at the pieces we have at our disposal. Badi, Enzo, Mudryk, Madu, Nkunku, Fofana and Gusto are all great players with leaps of talent, and we already have the likes of James, Kante, Silva, etc. Kai and Joao are great players too being used not to the fullest. This isn't a poor team based on talent - we just need some guidance. 

It won't take much for this team to find its feet. It is a mental and tactical thing at this point. We have the pieces to compete - bar the number 9. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I think most takes in here are massive over reactions. 

Saying the club is ruined and all that... Don't know about that. Pure hyperbole considering most of the signings we made - everyone was happy about. The club actually bought the players everyone was after. Only thing we don't have is a number 9 and some semblance of stability with a proper manager and tactics.

This is the biggest period of change we have ever gone through in the last 20 years. It doesn't happen overnight. I'm actually super impressed at the pieces we have at our disposal. Badi, Enzo, Mudryk, Madu, Nkunku, Fofana and Gusto are all great players with leaps of talent, and we already have the likes of James, Kante, Silva, etc. Kai and Joao are great players too being used not to the fullest. This isn't a poor team based on talent - we just need some guidance. 

It won't take much for this team to find its feet. It is a mental and tactical thing at this point. We have the pieces to compete - bar the number 9. 

Signings aren't/never were the major issue though. The major issue is 2 clueless owners with no footballing background making incorrect big decisions time and time again.

Ripped out a pretty successful background team/infrastructure without having replacements ready to go and step in from day 1, sacked arguably a top 3/5 in the world manager after 7 weeks for Graham Potter then kept him for months when he was in over his head before appointing Frank to try and save face (unless your telling me the football people in place as well as Boehly & Eghbali actually believed Frank as a manager could win us the CL - which would indicate to me they are ill suited to their roles). Even the whole Tuchel and Boehly not being on the same page which is why he sacked him thing, why did he give TT the pre-season if it was clear he didn’t suit the clubs long term vision & way of working? Again, incompetent decision making at the highest order. Not to mention how many other staff changes - ground staff, medical staff. Then them being in the dressing room every game, I mean wtf?

Ok to say the club is ruined is maybe  a wee bit far fetched but if things continue at the rate they are, it will end up ruined. Completely. You just get the feeling the heart has been ripped right out of the club. And there are no standards from top to bottom. 

The fans really need to send a message to the owners. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Even the whole Tuchel and Boehly not being on the same page which is why he sacked him thing, why did he give TT the pre-season if it was clear he didn’t suit the clubs long term vision & way of working? Again, incompetent decision making at the highest order. Not to mention how many other staff changes - ground staff, medical staff. Then them being in the dressing room every game, I mean wtf?

There is a bigger reason TT got sacked that is obvious, rather than looking at it like why did he give him a pre season then sack him blah blah blah, why not think we'll maybe TT wasn't going to get sacked, he got his players he asked for, he got his pre season, then something happened and the only option was to sack him. Then owner gets far to much stick for this season, I'd agree with all of it if we were 3 or 4 seasons in but 1? Seems more like people are used to this "instant" success culture we had here under Roman, and patience as a Chelsea fan just doesn't exist anymore. I suggest some people on here stop taking everything a paper or Twitter reports as "gospel" truth and realise these stories and Tweets are only ever put out for clicks. It's rather obvious Chelsea has some of the  most tragic fans on the planet and will believe anything and everything that is said about the club.

42 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

There is a bigger reason TT got sacked that is obvious, rather than looking at it like why did he give him a pre season then sack him blah blah blah, why not think we'll maybe TT wasn't going to get sacked, he got his players he asked for, he got his pre season, then something happened and the only option was to sack him. Then owner gets far to much stick for this season, I'd agree with all of it if we were 3 or 4 seasons in but 1? Seems more like people are used to this "instant" success culture we had here under Roman, and patience as a Chelsea fan just doesn't exist anymore. I suggest some people on here stop taking everything a paper or Twitter reports as "gospel" truth and realise these stories and Tweets are only ever put out for clicks. It's rather obvious Chelsea has some of the  most tragic fans on the planet and will believe anything and everything that is said about the club.

He didn't get the players he wanted. We failed on all the first choice players and panicked and ended up with shit. 

He got sacked because he didn't get on well with the new owners. They want soft touch yes men like potter and lampard. Tuchel clashes with owners all the time so he was never gonna tolerate Todd's arrogance and ineptitude