Todd Boehly Thread

Stay out of the dressing room. Its that simple.

You don’t see or hear of any other major clubs owners in there every week or regularly if things are going well or aren’t going well. Just an absolute shambles. Having them in regularly must also put some sort of pressure on the manager also. Or seem like there is no confidence in them.

Fair to say that since day 1 these pair have been a disaster, Boehly & Eghbali out. Who’d of thought the British government sanctioning Roman would have led to this….

Plus Todd addressing the players and saying this season has been embarrassing. Yes they’ve been piss poor but every major decision that has contributed to this season being what it is has ultimately stemmed from Boehly & Eghbali’s decision making, so he should take a lot of responsibility.

Sacking Tuchel, appointing Potter, appointing Lampard. Take some responsibility. Arrogant cunt. I sincerely hope somebody wants to buy this club as soon as possible. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

16 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Stay out of the dressing room. Its that simple.

You don’t see or hear of any other major clubs owners in there every week or regularly if things are going well or aren’t going well. Just an absolute shambles. Having them in regularly must also put some sort of pressure on the manager also. Or seem like there is no confidence in them.

Fair to say that since day 1 these pair have been a disaster, Boehly & Eghbali out. Who’d of thought the British government sanctioning Roman would have led to this….

Plus Todd addressing the players and saying this season has been embarrassing. Yes they’ve been piss poor but every major decision that has contributed to this season being what it is has ultimately stemmed from Boehly & Eghbali’s decision making, so he should take a lot of responsibility.

Sacking Tuchel, appointing Potter, appointing Lampard. Take some responsibility. Arrogant cunt. I sincerely hope somebody wants to buy this club as soon as possible. 

Cannot be sold for nine more years

Take all such reports with a grain of salt, but geez. How delusional are they?

No one but our happy owners duo did it. They were the one to sack TT and hire Potter, ruining the mentality. They were the one shitting cash on whoever Daily Mail and Siri pointed them to, leading to having 3 players for every position with minuscule improvement over what we've had during our worst staffing crisis, which is right before Tuchel sacking. They were the one to allow media leaks in how humiliating way we missed out on pretty much every target, ruining the morale further. They were the ones to literally erase the winning mentality overnight and treat our team like we were freaking Brighton with the "project", "future" and "patience" bullshit.  Above all, they were the one not to appoint knowledgable middle-management to lead the rebuild and take care of sport side of things for freaking months. Their staffing record seem comically bad for now. And now they are questioning the players why this shit doesn't work? They were the ones to instill this kind of mentality and support Potter's "boys gave everything" and now they are mad because we lost to Real Madrid? Rotfl.

I'm not trying to excuse players, I'm far from "Boehly out" as they at least seem to at least have a dedication to something, and wisdom comes from failure usually, but for god's sake, have some sanity.

Edited by Vegetable

These clowns told us that they want to keep Chelsea at the highest possible level. Well, clowns, our level was very high for 20 years. You know what the guy who was in charge back then used to do? Not show his fucking face every single day, like you cunts. 

4 hours ago, Fernando said:

Todd Boehly tells Chelsea squad season is ‘embarrassing’ in post-game speech

• Co-owner visits dressing room after defeat by Brighton
  • His aim was to motivate players before Real Madrid tie

Mon 17 Apr 2023 09.55 EDT

Todd Boehly attempted to rouse Chelsea’s players before Tuesday’s Champions League tie against Real Madrid by delivering a speech in the dressing room after the defeat by Brighton on Saturday, during which the American described the club’s season as “embarrassing”.

The co-owner was joined by his fellow board members, Behdad Eghbali and Hansjörg Wyss, when he addressed the squad after Chelsea fell to their third consecutive defeat. Boehly, who had been barracked by supporters during the Brighton game, waited for Lampard to finish talking to the players before stepping up to makeclear that the hierarchy expected far better after spending close to £600m on signings since buying the club last summer.

About an hour passed before Boehly, Eghbali and Wyss were seen exiting the dressing room and although it is not unusual for owners to speak to players, one insider said that “the whole thing was weird”.

It is understood that one senior player, signed for a large fee in the past 12 months, was singled out for heavy criticism. That player, whose identity is not being disclosed, is believed to be disillusioned with the situation and cut a disgruntled figure in training before Chelsea attempt to overturn a 2-0 deficit from the first leg against Madrid.

Although Boehly made clear his displeasure with the team’s form, Boehly’s broader intention was to motivate the players before the biggest game of the season. He said the Madrid match represented a chance for Chelsea, who are 11th in the Premier League and at risk of not qualifying for Europe, to salvage the campaign.

Kepa Arrizabalaga insisted there was nothing unusual about Boehly’s speech. “Todd comes to the changing room in every game,” Chelsea’s goalkeeper said. “He had different chats with us after different games. I am not going to say what he said. It is normal when he came.”

Chelsea have toiled since Boehly and Clearlake Capital bought the club from Roman Abramovich last year. They have spent big on transfers but have seen little for their investment on the pitch. Chelsea exited both domestic cups early and the decision to install Graham Potter as head coach after the sacking of Thomas Tuchel last September backfired. Potter lasted seven months before being fired and Chelsea have since placed Lampard in temporary charge.

It is understood the poor results have caused alarm over Chelsea’s financial position. There are concerns over Financial Fair Play and there have been suggestions that almost every player will be up for sale this summer. Liverpool are stepping up their attempts to sign Mason Mount, whose contract expires at the end of next season. Mount has shown no signs of extending his deal.

Other academy players such as Conor Gallagher, Trevoh Chalobah, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Levi Colwill and Callum Hudson-Odoi could leave. Selling them would represent pure profit in FFP terms. Chelsea have agreed a deal to sign the France forward Christopher Nkunku from RB Leipzig.

Boehly also stole the headlines last week when he predicted that Chelsea would beat Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabéu. Carlo Ancelotti’s side made a mockery of that prediction thanks to goals from Karim Benzema and Marco Asensio. Chelsea lost Ben Chilwell to a red card and Kalidou Koulibaly to a hamstring injury that will keep the centre-back out for several weeks.

So who do we think was the player not disclosed? Mudryk?

10 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Raheem Sterling fits all the boxes. Mudryk cannot even be considered a “senior player”, I suppose.

Hope he goes if so, never really liked him and when I saw the wages he was on, first thing I thought was what a colossal waste of money.

8 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Raheem Sterling fits all the boxes. Mudryk cannot even be considered a “senior player”, I suppose.

Mudryk was also one of the only players from our side to have a decent performance against Brighton so it would be weird to single him out for criticism.

Of the underperforming lot Cucurella and Koulibaly weren't even playing in the last game so Sterling's the only one who makes any sense, assuming the story is even half true to begin with. 

The biggest issue with the ownership is that they've tried doing too much, too soon.

A lot of the decisions they have or are in the process of making have been pretty positive, but it's been made on the backdrop of complete instability. A lot of people have been crying out for a structure for years which doesn't revolve entirely around the manager and his own players, and instead a revamped look at the scouting, recruitment, football directorship at the club. I actually think the recruitment made in January will be looked back overtime as largely very positive, and that is the first fingerprints of this structure. It doesn't help though that this is intertwined with the summer recruitment which besides Fofana, is trending towards being the worst transfer window in football history given the money spent.

The ownership shouldn't pander to the fans. It's clear they felt they needed to make a statement when they first joined with the summer signings, but they should have held their ground until the right structure was in place. Same with the managerial change from Tuchel to Potter. Too many things have been done with the right intentions but at the wrong time. 

I'm willing to give them time, and they might as well learn from mistakes at the same time the squad is in a transition but this summer, the focus needs to be on stabilising the club and that comes from allowing the directors to do what they are paid to do, and that is make the correct footballing decisions for this club to move forwards. 

I was one of the few here who wasn't crazy about the switch from Timo to Sterling, and also thought Sterling was the case of too much of a good thing--had a lot of cover for left wing.
Still, I don't think much of players acting out, being disillusioned, or just unhappy when things are in the shitter. I'm far more concerned with players who may think it's all business as usual and go collect they fat paychecks like nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Superblue said:

give them time

Geez, that gave borderline-ptsd flashbacks. Use of this phrase should be banned for at least few months after the Potter mess 😂

But on more serious note. I generally agree with your conclusion, but the problem seem to be the inability to stop the hands-on micromanagement of things by the owners. It could be understood in the beginning, but now we have some football department in place and they still seem to be unable to move away and intervene into everything or overturn ideas of people supposed to make the "vision" happen. Directors seem to be more of an advisors anyway.

I can understand you don't buy few billion toy not to play with it, but fun thing is this stepping into decisions had already proven catastrophic a few times, yet there's no end to it on the horizon and it may prove a huge issue very soon.

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

Geez, that gave borderline-ptsd flashbacks. Use of this phrase should be banned for at least few months after the Potter mess 😂

But on more serious note. I generally agree with your conclusion, but the problem seem to be the inability to stop the hands-on micromanagement of things by the owners. It could be understood in the beginning, but now we have some football department in place and they still seem to be unable to move away and intervene into everything or overturn ideas of people supposed to make the "vision" happen. Directors seem to be more of an advisors anyway.

I can understand you don't buy few billion toy not to play with it, but fun thing is this stepping into decisions had already proven catastrophic a few times, yet there's no end to it on the horizon and it may prove a huge issue very soon.

It's easier said than done with the mess that everything is at present but the next manager and this summer are the best chance to see if the club as a whole can learn from the mistakes made this last season. The owners aren't just going to give up and walk away any time soon.

Going to the dressing room after the game, visiting the training ground, etc I'm not overly bothered about to be honest. People forget that Roman was a lot more hands on in his early days and I believe did a lot of similar things, it just wasn't a big deal because we were successful. Everything is put under the microscope when things aren't going right.

A new manager is much more important than a supposed pep talk after a defeat and from what is being reported this has been tasked to be carried out by the football directors, as it should be. Of course the final decision is down to the owners but unlike the Potter appointment, this one should be made off the back of sound and solid advice, research, etc. The same should be the case in the summer when Stewart/Winstanley/Vivell work with the new manager to reshape this squad into one that can be managed properly.

9 minutes ago, Superblue said:

Going to the dressing room after the game, visiting the training ground, etc I'm not overly bothered about to be honest. People forget that Roman was a lot more hands on in his early days and I believe did a lot of similar things, it just wasn't a big deal because we were successful. Everything is put under the microscope when things aren't going right.

Yeah, we were actually happy to see Roman around. What I'm worried about is pulling the string both sides at the same time.

"The board" aka TB & EB were very reluctant to let Potter go, despite the footballing people pushing for it. It could be matter of his last 3 games window, but the situation could actually be dragging for weeks. The football people finally managed to force their solution, but were they actually pushing for Lampard? I somewhat doubt it and I'm not even thinking about the rumor of some tv-celebrity recommending his appointment. 

Many people agree that Mudryk was highly random signing. Was it the directors plan or just TB looking for making an impact to prove a point? Who knows.

Having a boatload of similar-level players for an AMF-ish position with even more incoming also doesn't seem like a sign of deep thought.

What I mean is putting people and resources in place to create a certain structure and also making individual, half-random decisions that cancel out their effort and are totally disconnected from their concept doesn't seem super effective. Looks like a lack of communication or lack of trust a little bit. Of course owner should have a say, but it's hard to achieve the desired effect without a common strategy and synergy.

27 minutes ago, Superblue said:

It's easier said than done with the mess that everything is at present but the next manager and this summer are the best chance to see if the club as a whole can learn from the mistakes made this last season. The owners aren't just going to give up and walk away any time soon.

A new manager is much more important than a supposed pep talk after a defeat and from what is being reported this has been tasked to be carried out by the football directors, as it should be. Of course the final decision is down to the owners but unlike the Potter appointment, this one should be made off the back of sound and solid advice, research, etc. The same should be the case in the summer when Stewart/Winstanley/Vivell work with the new manager to reshape this squad into one that can be managed properly.

I never seen presidents, owners, routinely visiting the locker room. It is really odd and can undermine the power, as well as the message managers may have.

But yeah, it's their play toy and they will do whatever they want with it--running it into the ground included as an option.

The type of manager they pick will tell much about whether the micromanaging will continue, or whether the manager will have enough independence to implement his own methodology.