Todd Boehly Thread

7 hours ago, Superblue said:

The biggest issue with the ownership is that they've tried doing too much, too soon.

A lot of the decisions they have or are in the process of making have been pretty positive, but it's been made on the backdrop of complete instability. A lot of people have been crying out for a structure for years which doesn't revolve entirely around the manager and his own players, and instead a revamped look at the scouting, recruitment, football directorship at the club. I actually think the recruitment made in January will be looked back overtime as largely very positive, and that is the first fingerprints of this structure. It doesn't help though that this is intertwined with the summer recruitment which besides Fofana, is trending towards being the worst transfer window in football history given the money spent.

The ownership shouldn't pander to the fans. It's clear they felt they needed to make a statement when they first joined with the summer signings, but they should have held their ground until the right structure was in place. Same with the managerial change from Tuchel to Potter. Too many things have been done with the right intentions but at the wrong time. 

I'm willing to give them time, and they might as well learn from mistakes at the same time the squad is in a transition but this summer, the focus needs to be on stabilising the club and that comes from allowing the directors to do what they are paid to do, and that is make the correct footballing decisions for this club to move forwards. 

The key thing is whether they learn from this experience.

I feel that they overall underestimated the impact that a manager has on a football team, and how the wrong appointment can throw a team into chaos.

Hopefully they get their next appointment 100% right and don't go down another experimental route. 

6 hours ago, Vegetable said:

Yeah, we were actually happy to see Roman around. What I'm worried about is pulling the string both sides at the same time.

"The board" aka TB & EB were very reluctant to let Potter go, despite the footballing people pushing for it. It could be matter of his last 3 games window, but the situation could actually be dragging for weeks. The football people finally managed to force their solution, but were they actually pushing for Lampard? I somewhat doubt it and I'm not even thinking about the rumor of some tv-celebrity recommending his appointment. 

Many people agree that Mudryk was highly random signing. Was it the directors plan or just TB looking for making an impact to prove a point? Who knows.

Having a boatload of similar-level players for an AMF-ish position with even more incoming also doesn't seem like a sign of deep thought.

What I mean is putting people and resources in place to create a certain structure and also making individual, half-random decisions that cancel out their effort and are totally disconnected from their concept doesn't seem super effective. Looks like a lack of communication or lack of trust a little bit. Of course owner should have a say, but it's hard to achieve the desired effect without a common strategy and synergy.

They probably settled on Lampard because he was the only one willing to be an interim manager.

Enrique would have only taken a full time role, and since they have leanings to Naggelsman, they decided not to make a decision on a permanent coach. 

I really hope Naggelsman works (as the signs are all pointing at him). But I'm not sure if he's the right personality for this type of club. Not enjoying the comparisons with Potter.

6 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Lucky to even be considered a football player based on what he’s shown so far tbf.

he would have been better if he joined arsenal. Chelsea ruin everyone. loads of players have a promising debut before Chelsea drags them down. morata , mudryk, cucarella, werner, even lukaku

2 hours ago, lucio said:

he would have been better if he joined arsenal. Chelsea ruin everyone. loads of players have a promising debut before Chelsea drags them down. morata , mudryk, cucarella, werner, even lukaku

Morata said himself that he didn't enjoy playing in the Premier League, Werner wasn't dragged down, he was just labelled a flop due to all the offsides/misses against his name (mentioned that his relationship with Tuchel broke down and he wanted to leave) and Lukaku wasn't dragged down, he's had a pretty successful career with his other clubs. 

28 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Morata said himself that he didn't enjoy playing in the Premier League, Werner wasn't dragged down, he was just labelled a flop due to all the offsides/misses against his name (mentioned that his relationship with Tuchel broke down and he wanted to leave) and Lukaku wasn't dragged down, he's had a pretty successful career with his other clubs. 

All were better before joining and left as worse players 

14 hours ago, Cosmin said:

Raheem Sterling fits all the boxes. Mudryk cannot even be considered a “senior player”, I suppose.

Koulibaly too. Transfer fee maybe less but huge contract 

Seriously: I can't believe some fools on Twitter and Reddit can't accept Todd is THE reason for the current mess, just because he spent 500m on players. I mean, come on guys. We bought this kind of players with that amount of cash:

Cucurella, Mudryk, 2 Fofanas, Badiashile, Gusto, Madueke, Colwill, Sterling, Nkunku, overpriced Enzo and João Felix on an ultra expensive loan.

Let me be clear here: none of those players are or ever will be world class players. Its just amusing and shocking that we spent 500m players on a bunch of average players, and I'm quite comfortable in saying that right now we are weaker than we were last season in pretty much every position of the field, but right now we won't be able to spend big for a good amount of years, without risking suffering penalties from both UEFA and Premier League.

We are doomed and we must accept that we are going to suffer what Manchester and Arsenal fans suffered in past 10 years: supporting a club that became a laughing stock and that nobody respects. It will take years, if not decades, before we are a top club again, in terms of results and it won't happen under the current owners, unless they simply walk away from football activity and let people who understand the game run the club. 

9 minutes ago, Henrique said:

Seriously: I can't believe some fools on Twitter and Reddit can't accept Todd is THE reason for the current mess, just because he spent 500m on players. I mean, come on guys. We bought this kind of players with that amount of cash:

Cucurella, Mudryk, 2 Fofanas, Badiashile, Gusto, Madueke, Colwill, Sterling, Nkunku, overpriced Enzo and João Felix on an ultra expensive loan.

Let me be clear here: none of those players are or ever will be world class players. Its just amusing and shocking that we spent 500m players on a bunch of average players, and I'm quite comfortable in saying that right now we are weaker than we were last season in pretty much every position of the field, but right now we won't be able to spend big for a good amount of years, without risking suffering penalties from both UEFA and Premier League.

We are doomed and we must accept that we are going to suffer what Manchester and Arsenal fans suffered in past 10 years: supporting a club that became a laughing stock and that nobody respects. It will take years, if not decades, before we are a top club again, in terms of results and it won't happen under the current owners, unless they simply walk away from football activity and let people who understand the game run the club. 

Agree with 90% of what you’ve said here.

I mean the Boehly/Eghbali decision making processes this year has been abysmal - the links to every player on the go in the summer (not even going to go into actual signings), the whole technical director recruitment struggle and then Tuchel sacking was a bad start.

You think hmm okay maybe just an uniucky start, a few things to fix but then going for Potter and watching us play even worse for months upon months before pulling the pin about 3 months too late.

Surely couldn’t get any worse though? Oh wait, they sack Potter with some sort of idea in their head that Frank Lampard as a temp manger coming back here would win us the CL/save their reputations with the fans….. or media, or both. 

In January people were championing Eghbali and Boehly for getting Enzo Fernandez and Mudryk in but we have completely lost everything that made this club successful or at least what it was with Abramovich with these 2.

I hope how they’ve conducted themselves and have been doing do over the last year doesn’t affect any managers looking to come here. I mean its at the point when people inside the club are saying that the situation is a fucking mess. And thats been quoted as coming from someone pretty close to the higher ups inside the club.

Rumour has it, they were playing You Will Never Walk Alone at HT of the CL game...

If that is true....

Fucking beyond mental.

These owners better fix up sharp and start respecting the club and its fans before they get tuned on big style.

Re-hiring Lampard was the tipping point for me (and before SFL fans jump on my back, I accept that its not Frank's fault in any way).

It showed that these people don't take the consequences seriously enough.

Replacing Tuchel with the relatively green Potter was risky enough. 

But replacing Potter just to placate the fans, and then hire a novice in Lampard as a scapegoat? Very short term thinking.

If they wanted to wait till summer to get their permanent manager (who I hope is actually good enough), then why not wait till the summer before removing Potter?

Its all short-term thinking. Just like the decision to keep D. Fofana away from a loan and to rot on the bench.