Chelsea 1-1 Everton

Jase

1 minute ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Ridiculous first half  -then again not for us. Chances so many, could have killed the game in the first 10 minutes -just didnt have our shooting boots on

I dont think we have shooting boots recently..we have missing and frustrating boots! The first half wasn't back! I thought we'd create more not go back to crappyness.

Another..one of those games..seem to be often these days

2 minutes ago, Jase said:

Things haven't gone well since THAT comment of yours. lol

Yeah hasn't gone well!

I don't agree with the house falling down just yet though. We've not just been ravaged with absences but they seem to be bunched into the same areas of the pitch. Look how vulnerable Liverpool were last season when they had a similar issue with their defence. 

People talk about squad depth but there's players vital to our system and the replacements in the squad just aren't good enough. Losing Kante/Kovacic and Chilwell has taken a significant chunk of energy and drive from our midfield/wing back positions which for me is the most critical area of the pitch with the way we play under Tuchel. We have legs to swarm and press, but also quality with the ball to control and dominate a game. With those players out we've looked completely one paced and lacklustre. No press resistance, and not good enough to press without the ball.

5 minutes ago, Jase said:

But didn't Sarri say that Hazard would practically go do his own things instead of doing what Sarri wanted? Hazard did deliver the performances but managers did have to make concession with their system etc. 

Sarri's system was nowhere near as flexible as Tuchel's though. He put up with it like Jose and Conte before him, because Hazard could create or score in tight games, whereas I think Tuchel would have embraced a player like that. I think being one of the three attack minded players in Tuchel's system and given the freedom to drift and play across the pitch would have benefited him. 

Just now, Superblue_1986 said:

Yeah hasn't gone well!

I don't agree with the house falling down just yet though. We've not just been ravaged with absences but they seem to be bunched into the same areas of the pitch. Look how vulnerable Liverpool were last season when they had a similar issue with their defence. 

People talk about squad depth but there's players vital to our system and the replacements in the squad just aren't good enough. Losing Kante/Kovacic and Chilwell has taken a significant chunk of energy and drive from our midfield/wing back positions which for me is the most critical area of the pitch with the way we play under Tuchel. We have legs to swarm and press, but also quality with the ball to control and dominate a game. With those players out we've looked completely one paced and lacklustre. No press resistance, and not good enough to press without the ball.

Well injuries or not, this is not the first time we have a winter slump. It's why I said I'm not too excited that we were top of the table etc some weeks ago because of this annual slump. If we're up there come March or April, then we talk. With the way things are going, we might want to start looking at what is behind us as opposed to ahead of us. 

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Sarri's system was nowhere near as flexible as Tuchel's though. He put up with it like Jose and Conte before him, because Hazard could create or score in tight games, whereas I think Tuchel would have embraced a player like that. I think being one of the three attack minded players in Tuchel's system and given the freedom to drift and play across the pitch would have benefited him. 

It's debatable when you consider the amount of workrate and off the work the players do from the front. Are you gonna tell me that Tuchel would have gotten Hazard to start pressing around like a mad fella when Mourinho and Conte couldn't? 

4 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

I dont think we have shooting boots recently..we have missing and frustrating boots! The first half wasn't back! I thought we'd create more not go back to crappyness.

Another..one of those games..seem to be often these days

Covid to blame for tonight- missing key players 🛑 @james can we have a covid virus emoji

6 minutes ago, Jase said:

Well injuries or not, this is not the first time we have a winter slump. It's why I said I'm not too excited that we were top of the table etc some weeks ago because of this annual slump. If we're up there come March or April, then we talk. With the way things are going, we might want to start looking at what is behind us as opposed to ahead of us. 

Again...I know still 8 points but Arsenal have appeared from no where..Man U close and have games in hand. I hope we don't end up in a top 4 thing after being at the top for so long! 3rd be fine can cope with fine.. faffing around for points at the end no!

Just now, Jase said:

It's debatable when you consider the amount of work rate and off the work the players do from the front. Are you gonna tell me that Tuchel would have gotten Hazard to start pressing around like a mad fella when Mourinho and Conte couldn't? 

No he's not going to press as relentlessly as the likes of Mount and Werner but I think he would press as part of a team press. There's a difference between attacking players working hard and pressing from the front high up the pitch compared to attacking players being expected to track back defensively which is what Conte and Mourinho had more of a problem with Hazard about.

To be fair I feel that in recent weeks, whilst the quality isn't always there, the work rate of Havertz and Ziyech has increased significantly to what it has been in the past, so who knows? A more progressive team trying to win the ball higher up the pitch might have seen more from that side of the game from Hazard.

Just now, Laylabelle said:

Again...I know still 8 points but Arsenal have appeared from no where..Man U close and have games in hand. I hope we don't end up in a top 4 thing after being at the top for so long! 3rd be fine can cope with fine.. faffing around for points at the end no!

Obviously there's no guarantee but if Spurs win their 3 (THREE!) games in hand, they would just be 3 points behind us. 

Just now, Jase said:

Obviously there's no guarantee but if Spurs win their 3 (THREE!) games in hand, they would just be 3 points behind us. 

Forgot about Spurs..how fantastic haha and thing is time they play them the gap could be smaller...

Let's have a break this weekend lol..

21 minutes ago, Jase said:

Ironically, Werner and Lukaku still have more goals than those other players you mentioned. Could go on a bit more but I'll stop there.

Also, am starting to wonder if we're having too many attacking options for our own good. We complain so much about those players not being consistent but, we constantly chop and change those players (when everyone is available) without them having any sort of chance to get any sort of consistency. 

Liverpool have mainly only 3-4 attackers. City have as many as us, I think, but a lot of their players are quite similar and interchangeable. The same can't be said about ours. Only Pulisic and CHO are arguably the similar. The rest aren't. So every time we chop and change the front 3, the attacking plays can be different, disjointed etc a lot of the time. 

It’s a huge headache for Tuchel. He’s got to constantly rotate these attackers because they’re so inconsistent but as you say, they can’t really reach top form because they’re changed so much. Like, we’ll see CHO have a run of a few games where he’s brilliant and then he’ll go off the boil completely. Likewise Pulisic and then he’ll get injured for weeks or months. And on and on and on.

We have ONE attacker who seems to be a nailed on starter and that’s Mase. Liverpool’s front 3 will all score at 15 goals each in all comps. City as a team don’t even need a lone star man because they’re whole unit is unstoppable.

We’re still a couple of players short to properly challenge them.

7 minutes ago, Pizy said:

We have ONE attacker who seems to be a nailed on starter and that’s Mase. Liverpool’s front 3 will all score at 15 goals each in all comps. City as a team don’t even need a lone star man because they’re whole unit is unstoppable.

And yet, Mount squandered two golden opportunities in the first half today...

3 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

That first one -fuck  ! it was harder to miss

When Reece missed that one I knew it was gonna be a sad day. He has buried that exact Chance time and time again and was our talisman when we were on fir. But when Made is our most dangerous attacker you know shit has hit the fan 

Last UCL campaing was a miracle and a total overarchievement. That title blinded most people about our real quality.

Is a decent squad to get a top4 without any problems, but no more than that.

Let's win WC and make a good runs in cups and finish at top4. 

Next season we need to strengh some areas to close the gap between pool and city