Chelsea 2-0 Real Madrid

Jase

Hope Werner start, his pace would be very useful.  My ideal XI against Madrid:

----------------------Mendy

-----Christensen-----Silva------Rudiger------

James---------Kante------Kovacic-----Chilwell

-----------Mount---------------Werner

----------------------Havertz

If Kovacic still isn't available then Jorginho will start instead.

Edited by Blues Forever

42 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Hope Werner start, his pace would be very useful.  My ideal XI against Madrid:

----------------------Mendy

-----Christensen-----Silva------Rudiger------

James---------Kante------Kovacic-----Chilwell

-----------Mount---------------Werner

----------------------Havertz

If Kovacic still isn't available then Jorginho will start instead.

Ofc Jorginho will start. But also Pulisic and Azpi. Why do you think they were rested? 

6 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Ofc Jorginho will start. But also Pulisic and Azpi. Why do you think they were rested? 

I'm not keen to see Azpi as a RWB again, either play him as a RCB or don't start. Jorginho will only start if Kovacic isn't available which still remain to be seen. As for Pulisic, tough call between him or Werner but i preferred the later because we need Werner's pace more.

17 minutes ago, Jas said:

Am I really the only one who thinks Werner shouldn't start on Wednesday? lol Everyone else seems okay with the idea of him starting.

Giroud should start this and the final - if one wants the trophy.

16 minutes ago, Mana said:

Werner needs to be sidelined for the rest of the season. I know he has the most goals and assists combined, but the horror show in front of goal just continues. The first leg should have been put to bed with the chances he had. Now we have to fully rely on our defense to make sure we don't concede.

Werner being sidelined for the rest of the season is very unlikely/not going to happen because he offers more than just goals (even if the lack of them have been frustrating) and Tuchel isn't a coach who focuses only on the numbers. If it had been only about the numbers, you could argue a lot of the players should have been dropped by now.

Apart from that miss in Madrid, what other chances did Werner even have? In fact, apart from that miss and Pulisic's goal, we didn't even test Courtois in goal last week. For all our good work in that first half, our final passes were often disappointing and then we did nothing in the second half. For the squad quality that we have, we really should be doing more and better in attack to render misses like that Werner one insignificant. Teams like Bayern and Man City generally create lots of chances, to give themselves more opportunities to score goals and more chances of winning games while we create only like 2-3 good chances per game and expect our players to take them. We want our players to be clinical yes and creating at that low rate is never going to be sustainable.

I was looking at our goalscorers in the Champions League this season and the list is depressing. Giroud is top with 6 goals but 4 of them came in one game. Next on the list is Werner with 3 goals and all 3 have come from the spot. After that, it's CHO, Pulisic and Ziyech each on 2 goals and then Chilwell, Emerson, Jorginho, Mount and Abraham on 1 goal each. The rest have 0. 

30 minutes ago, Mana said:

We are crying for a clinical striker last season, we all thought signing Werner will end this, apparently not. Giroud is still IMO the best clinical finisher out of all of them. And Giroud isn't even that good.

The ironic thing about that is Man City could well win the treble (or at least the double) "without" a striker. Jesus have 13 goals and Aguero has only 4, although he has been hampered by injuries. Their goals are spread out - like us - but they probably have better finishers overall and their top scorer is Gundogan with 16 goals. Werner's lack of goals would slightly be less of an issue if the others are scoring more. It's bit like with Liverpool as well. Firmino doesn't score a lot despite leading the line but he has Salah and Mane (not this season's Mane) scoring the goals for the team and hence, no one really talks about Firmino's lack of goals. We don't get goals from our midfield (we used to get them with previous teams). We don't get goals from our wingbacks despite the back 3 system allowing them to attack the box (think we are seeing less goals from them than we did under Conte and yes, I know the personnel are different but still). So it all comes down to just the front 3 and all our attacking players aren't exactly consistent goalscorers at the moment.

But still, who would have thought in early January, in a terrible crisis under Lampard where nothing, NOTHING worked, that in May we will be sitting here, a few days before the 2nd leg of the CL semifinals against Real Madrid, with a genuine chance of reaching the final.

No one ofc, but before season started after transfer window I thought we may be among the best. And dont forget, Ziyech, Kai, Timo and Puli are not even close to their best.

----------------------- Mendy

---Christensen--------Thiago Silva--------Rudiger

--Azpilicueta -----Jorginho---Kante-------Chillwell

------------------Mount------------Pulisic

------------------------Werner/Havertz

Edited by milka

i fully expect Real to resort to all kinds of dirty tricks against us, starting with that cunt Ramos, we definitely should have won in the 1st leg, but now let’s see how we deal with them on Wednesday. Cheers and goodluck lads

38 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

i fully expect Real to resort to all kinds of dirty tricks against us, starting with that cunt Ramos, we definitely should have won in the 1st leg, but now let’s see how we deal with them on Wednesday. Cheers and goodluck lads

THey most def will.......and the bent refs will " fall " for it everytime.

1 hour ago, milka said:

----------------------- Mendy

---Christensen--------Thiago Silva--------Rudiger

--Azpilicueta -----Jorginho---Kante-------Chillwell

------------------Mount------------Pulisic

------------------------Werner/Havertz

Kova for Jorginho and Havertz false 9

I'm nervous about this match, still hopeful though.

The reason being Real are not shit, they're not the Real of old admittedly, but they are still formidable.

I would say to those that are writing them off, be wary, we don't want to be dismissing them it'll come back and bite us on the arse.

KTBFFH

Edited by bigbluewillie

31 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

The score probably won't end 0-0, hopefully Werner’s miss doesn’t come back to bite us.

No chance 0:0 

Real for sure will score the question is how many goals will score Chelsea 

I expect 2:1 to us with many nerves .

this match will be of the order of this one

Edited by milka

35 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

The score probably won't end 0-0, hopefully Werner’s miss doesn’t come back to bite us.

If we are still ruing that miss after the second leg, that would mean we created zilch in the second leg, which is just as bad as not taking chances.