Barnsley 0-1 Chelsea

Jase

From what Tuchel is saying, expect Silva and Werner to be rested.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2021/2/8/22271691/tuchel-updates-on-thiago-silva-injury-pulisic-absence-werner-dead-leg

“With Thiago, we are fighting for him every day but he will be for sure out for the FA Cup so it will take time.

“It will be several days but we set the goal, I would like him back for maybe Southampton, that’s realistic but also ambitious. I know Thiago, he will do everything to be ready as soon as possible but it is a muscle injury so you cannot take any risk.”

“I’m not sure how you say it in English, you call it a “dead leg” or something? That describes it good. It’s not serious, It is very painful for him in this moment but now, I think he’ll be fine.”

-Thomas Tuchel; source: Football.London

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

We already played against them.

3421 or 4231

Kepa, James, Chris, Zouma, Pulisic, Gilmour, Kante, Emerson, Havertz, Zieych, Abraham.

I will be quite pissed if we go 3 at the back. Don't think we need three CB. Should go for 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. to see all the attacking players playing in their best positions.

I am hoping for 4-2-3-1. Kepa, James, Zouma, Christensen, Emerson, Gilmour, Kante, Ziyech, Havertz, Pulisic/CHO, Abraham.

1 hour ago, Stats said:

I will be quite pissed if we go 3 at the back. Don't think we need three CB. Should go for 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. to see all the attacking players playing in their best positions.

I am hoping for 4-2-3-1. Kepa, James, Zouma, Christensen, Emerson, Gilmour, Kante, Ziyech, Havertz, Pulisic/CHO, Abraham.

Be honest the 3 is working don’t see why we should change it regardless of who we play. You can see a structure with it and it really suits Azpilicueta, Jorginho, Kovacic, Mount, James, Hudson Odoi etc. by the looks of it. Plus Emerson, Alonso, even boys like Ziyech and Havertz, this shape gives them more freedom and less defensive responsibility.

I do think the 3 will be what we will use to the season ends barring injuries to be honest. Pre season then he can implement another system cause he will have more time. I still think even under Frank the 3 worked better than 4 at the back. TT also hasn’t had the luxury of a pre season to train different systems or try them out because already in 3 weeks he has 5 games to play so he has had to find a shape that suits the majority of the players and to importantly win as many games as he can.

12 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Be honest the 3 is working don’t see why we should change it regardless of who we play. You can see a structure with it and it really suits Azpilicueta, Jorginho, Kovacic, Mount, James, Hudson Odoi etc. by the looks of it. Plus Emerson, Alonso, even boys like Ziyech and Havertz, this shape gives them more freedom and less defensive responsibility.

I do think the 3 will be what we will use to the season ends barring injuries to be honest. Pre season then he can implement another system cause he will have more time. I still think even under Frank the 3 worked better than 4 at the back. TT also hasn’t had the luxury of a pre season to train different systems or try them out because already in 3 weeks he has 5 games to play so he has had to find a shape that suits the majority of the players and to importantly win as many games as he can.

It has worked in a sense of providing more defensive solidarity and getting best out of WB and general play yes, but do I think the attack can be more fluid? Yes. If we are playing a much weaker time like Barnsley, we shouldnt be shoe horning players in a formation just for sake of it and I am sure Tuchel is known for tactical variations anyway, so I am sure he would have worked on different formations. 

8 minutes ago, Stats said:

It has worked in a sense of providing more defensive solidarity and getting best out of WB and general play yes, but do I think the attack can be more fluid? Yes. If we are playing a much weaker time like Barnsley, we shouldnt be shoe horning players in a formation just for sake of it and I am sure Tuchel is known for tactical variations anyway, so I am sure he would have worked on different formations. 

Maybe but the attack being more fluid is probably less to do with the shape right now and more to do with the actual movements from the players. I think the likes of Mount’s goal is probably something we will hopefully see a bit more of over time with the movements in and around the box. Its not as if when we played 4231 or 433 with Frank and even Sarri as if the system was really the issue as opposed to individual player movements. 

I wouldn't say he’s shoehorning people into positions either for the sake of it. Yes he played CHO as RWB and subbed Pulisic on there also in the first game but other than that he hasnt really shoehorned anyone in anywhere. Also I think Mount, Ziyech, Pulisic, CHO will all suit these narrower positions off a front man like Pedro, Willian and Eden did with Conte because the wingbacks provide the width and moat teams play with a back 4 so it leaves spaces inside for these players. 

I think normally if Tuchel had a pre season he would of had several different chances to try different formations and maybe we will see that in a cup game but I would think that he will probably stick with the 3 for now as you dont really see managers change from a system that has won 4 games in a row. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

The way TT has utilised 3 at the back when needing a goal it can be quite flexible. If he puts wingers as wingbacks like he did late in the Wolves game, it could be some kind of 3-2-4-1. I could imagine

-----James---AC---Rudi----

CHO----Billy----Kante----Puli

-------Havertz---Ziyech------

-----------Tammy-------------

to score a ton vs a side that is just there to defend.

Good opportunity to test out the 4231 IMO. Ziyech, Havertz, Pulisic should definitely be starting this one and begin their integration into an attacking system going forward. Don't see the back 3 as a long-term solution with all of our talent up front

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Kante confirmed to start tomorrow. Tuchel once again said his best position is in the double six.

Given Tuchel's reputation for his tactical edge alarm bells would be ringing straight away if he said his best position was anything else, or worse, sitting DM (single 6 as he puts it).