The Tuchel Thread

Jase

15 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

One of the ESPN pundits, in this case our former player Frank LeBoeuf, for once seemed to offer a decent thought as to why our attack breaks down in the final third of the pitch despite maintaining so much control up to that point.

His reasoning was that we don't have enough players playing up front right now that carry the ball for an extended period and try to 'unbalance' the opposition. He felt that Mount is the only player that does it to some extent.

I can see where he is coming from. CHO for example also tries to do take-on's , but  CHO is also a very direct winger as opposed to someone like Pulisic or Hazard, and doesn't necessarily drag defenders out of position. 

Long story short, we really need players like Pulisic to find their form sooner rather than later. Even Ziyech, whose passing ability can make up for the lack of dribblers in the front line. Ziyech looked a bit better in his cameo appearance against Atletico, so I hope he isn't too far off

We also need better passers in midfield. We need a Fabregas in midfield. Too often we would just pass backward or sideway, thus allowing the opposition to get back into their defensive shape and making it hard for us to penetrate. Even having a dribbler would find it difficult to do anything if they have to beat 2-3 players every time, as already seen in some instances with Mount.

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

We also need better passers in midfield. We need a Fabregas in midfield. Too often we would just pass backward or sideway, thus allowing the opposition to get back into their defensive shape and making it hard for us to penetrate. Even having a dribbler would find it difficult to do anything if they have to beat 2-3 players every time, as already seen in some instances with Mount.

Yes, Jorginho and Kovacic aren't going to cut it. They can circulate the ball just fine, but there's no decisive passing or goal threat from either of them.

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

I can't name you one player that would be available and has Cesc type of passing abilities. Man City seems to have bought all the world class creative masterminds in world football 😂. Verratti is very likely not available 

22 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I can't name you one player that would be available and has Cesc type of passing abilities. Man City seems to have bought all the world class creative masterminds in world football 😂. Verratti is very likely not available 

There are very few. But players with cesc type passing abilities appear to be a thing of the past. But i dont think we need those. We need someone who is somewhat strong and athletic, can hold his positions and play long and through balls between the lines to complement kovacic. The only players who are available and come remotedly close are neves, zakaria, rice and manuel locatelli who i am becoming increasingly convinced by. maybe tielemans, bentancour or camavinga if they develop a more reserved style of play.

But we are not making the most of our attackign players in the system we are currently playing. only CHO and Alonso really profit from the way we are playing. Our three most talented, technically gifted attackers Pulisic, Havertz and Ziyech being marginalised is not gonna be helpful in the long term. this is why i do not think this 3-4-2-1 is the way to go. It only works when we monopolize posession which in turn hurts werner who is near on useless in a non-counter attacking system or with players who can play through balls. I still think Lampard was on the right track strategically with the 4-3-3 which Rice would have completed. It is a shame it will never come to fruition partly due to his tactical incapability.

The chance i see for Tuchel if he is hellbent on sticking to 3-4-2-1 is to replace Jorginho in the starting lineup with Mount and play Ziyech, Pulisic or havertz in the AM positions. maybe even 2 if the opponent is not that physical or parks it really deep.

--------James----Silva---Zouma----

CHO----Mount-----Kova----Chilwell-

----------Ziyech/Kai---Werner/Puli-------

------------Tammy/Kai/Giroud----------

would be worth a try IMO.

4 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

There are very few. But players with cesc type passing abilities appear to be a thing of the past. But i dont think we need those. We need someone who is somewhat strong and athletic, can hold his positions and play long and through balls between the lines to complement kovacic. The only players who are available and come remotedly close are neves, zakaria, rice and manuel locatelli who i am becoming increasingly convinced by. maybe tielemans, bentancour or camavinga if they develop a more reserved style of play.

But we are not making the most of our attackign players in the system we are currently playing. only CHO and Alonso really profit from the way we are playing. Our three most talented, technically gifted attackers Pulisic, Havertz and Ziyech being marginalised is not gonna be helpful in the long term. this is why i do not think this 3-4-2-1 is the way to go. It only works when we monopolize posession which in turn hurts werner who is near on useless in a non-counter attacking system or with players who can play through balls. I still think Lampard was on the right track strategically with the 4-3-3 which Rice would have completed. It is a shame it will never come to fruition partly due to his tactical incapability.

The chance i see for Tuchel if he is hellbent on sticking to 3-4-2-1 is to replace Jorginho in the starting lineup with Mount and play Ziyech, Pulisic or havertz in the AM positions. maybe even 2 if the opponent is not that physical or parks it really deep.

I also like the idea of Mount dropping deeper into midfield, and James replacing Azpi. 

I particularly like the idea of James playing as the RCB, because he can push up and make deadly right hand side combinations with Ziyech and CHO if needed. Opponents defending in the box will struggle to deal with that, because they won't be able to predict where a cross is going to swing in from.

I think its a logical next step if Mount and James are becoming more mature players, with Mount dropping into CM and James becoming an actual defender instead of just being a wing back.

As you said, if Tuchel sticks with 3 atb formation, this is something we could expect to see in the future.

7 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Just find someone who isn't an anti-forward passer! 

10 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

The problem with Mount dropping deep is that he lacks the creativity to play those through balls. He played maybe 2 through balls in his whole career at Chelsea. So Mount will not solve our issues. That formation would rely on Ziyech overall because he is our only creative player. 

Look at the level of Man City. They have Gündo, KDB, Silva and Mahrez in their squad that able to play creative passes. Rodri is also pretty solid technically and is much better than Kante when it comes to forward passing. We just have Ziyech and he does not even play 😂

2 hours ago, killer1257 said:

The problem with Mount dropping deep is that he lacks the creativity to play those through balls. He played maybe 2 through balls in his whole career at Chelsea. So Mount will not solve our issues. That formation would rely on Ziyech overall because he is our only creative player. 

I think Mount is actually better from deep where he has more time to pick out passes. It doesn't always have to be defensive splitting passes, it can also be about breaking the lines which is actually one of his best and most underrated attributes. 

We also have Billy Gilmour who knows how to circulate but also has a very keen eye for a final pass. 

Interesting times ahead. United this Sunday another big, big test 

2 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Look at the level of Man City. They have Gündo, KDB, Silva and Mahrez in their squad that able to play creative passes. Rodri is also pretty solid technically and is much better than Kante when it comes to forward passing. We just have Ziyech and he does not even play 😂

Realistically though we have got Havertz, Ziyech, Kovacic who are all capable of being creative and passing forward. Mount also is in this just needs to iron out inconsistencies in his end product. Gilmour also is more than capable and Jorginho go longer and in behind teams at times although not a lot.

Not expecting them to all pump out 10 chances per game but the notion we aren’t capable of being creative baffles me. We’ve seen now under Tuchel we can get into these positions in the final third but we just need to take a bit more care with the final pass, once that clicks, I think we will be much better in terms of goals.

Lets not forget Tuchel has only been here for 7 games and we have went from a team who were struggling to keep clean sheets and had no ideal style, to a team who are more organised and haven’t conceded many shots against us per game whilst also showing a clear identity. I think getting this quality at first is better than creating 10 chances a game. The creativity will come and I think TT knows this is still an issue, you can see his frustration on the sideline when the final ball is poor because he expects better.

The whole Cesc thing, it is true but there aren’t as many players like this in world football now. Because everyones too safe as they don’t want to lose it as football has become so heavily fixed on keeping possession. Verratti maybe is close and perhaps a handful of others but its a slim list.

Training with smaller balls we used to do in the 60s . 

Charlie Cooke could do 250+ keepy uppy with a tennis ball 

Charlie-Cooke-Chelsea-best-ever-wingers.jpg (600×600) (chelseafclatestnews.com)

32 minutes ago, Jason said:

Get the feeling Tuchel is going to be a real perfectionist in terms of how he wants us to play and that, hopefully, will drive the players on and challenge them. Maybe in the same sort of way we wanted Sarri to do so. 

23 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Get the feeling Tuchel is going to be a real perfectionist in terms of how he wants us to play and that, hopefully, will drive the players on and challenge them. Maybe in the same sort of way we wanted Sarri to do so. 

The one good thing about Tuchel is that he doesn't try to micro-manage every move and isn't obsessed with set attacking patterns like some managers. He probably does a bit of the latter but also leave enough room for players to express themselves and make their own decision.