Mikel John Obi

Badboy

What he brings ? Tactical balance, option for isolated defenders who know they can pass the ball and expect him not to lose it. Positional sense to prevent most attacks in front of the center backs (most, because the aim is to protect your goal, you can't obviously block evey passing line or every interval)

Mikel intercepts and protects the left side when Cole pushes forward with a good positioning. Ramires protects the right but thanks to his pace

Look at those figures

Mikel's average pass length is 17 meters

Now you have presented what he does on the defence, let's look at what he can do when in possesion of the ball.

I'm afraid I can only remember passing to fullbacks as his only attacking ability on the ball.

Look at the stats in the website in your post, mikel has 5 chances created from 14 matches, not even a chance created per 2 matches, look at modric vs ajax. Not only that, he has won only 54% of duels, proves he is not aggresive enough to make slide tackles and win balls like I said in my earlier post.

I didn't even need to check up statistics to realise that these are mikels greatest problems.

1. No foward passing sense

2. Have rarely seen him get in takles to stop dangerous situations as the supposed defensive player.

I like some of his qualities but he must add those two qualities above to become a top class DM.

He can function better in a 4-3-3 with more midfielders to help him but in a pivot, his present qualities are not enough.

As long as he can only do what he has so far, he isn't even going to be a starter in a liverpool squad or any top team in spain, italy, germany or england. He needs to develop because he is average at best in my opinion.

0,,10268~11463866,00.jpg

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce John Mikel Obi has signed a new five-year contract which will keep him at the club until 2017.

The midfielder has been a first-team regular since arriving as a 19-year-old in the summer of 2006.

Mikel made his debut that August, and has gone on to make 261 appearances, 213 as a starter. In that time he has scored twice.

Originally an attack-minded midfielder, it was Jose Mourinho who saw the defensive potential in the player, and he has since been used as an anchorman after learning from the great Claude Makelele in his early Chelsea days.

The 25-year-old won the club's Young Player of the Year award in his first season. Since then he has collected four FA Cup medals, one Barclays Premier League, a Carling Cup and of course the Champions League, where in the Final in May he played an important role in keeping Bayern Munich at bay.

Upon signing his new deal, the Nigerian international said: 'Chelsea seems like my home now because I have been here for over six years and I enjoy my time here. I come into the training ground every day to work and I value my time there. I am happy and want to keep going and win trophies for this club.

'I have basically won everything with Chelsea and those years have been really special for me, winning trophies with big names like Didier Drogba, John Terry and Frank Lampard who have had very long Chelsea careers.

'Last season to win the Champions League was even more special,' he added, 'and I hope these next five years will bring even more success and I can win trophies with the new players we have here.

'Being 25 I think I am now hitting my peak but as a player you want to improve every day and there is still room for that. I want to learn from the players and the manager and I just want to keep going.'

I always slated him in the past. But he has really developed however and even though he makes some mistakes and gets agitated easily, he does play some real good football sometimes and keeps the ball well. Its a shame he thinks he is reaching his peak though, I thought he would keep improving for a little while longer. Glad to have him here and will be a good member to have in the squad if we decide to buy someone else for his role.

I merged the topics to keep the discussion in one place.

Maybe we're just giving him this new deal to make him feel better when we buy Fellaini to take his spot in January.

:)

Not sure if serious or sarcastic..

A new five year deal for Obi! :yay:http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3001387/title/five-more-years-for-mikel

First good news in a long while.

Wtf? Not sure if serious or sarcastic.

Amost as bad as Benitez being appointed new manager.

Mikel deserved his extension, I would only give him 4 years though. I think 5 years is a bit of an overreaction, I am so sure he has 5 years left!

Mikel is a great player, even if we dont place him as hands down our first choice DM, he would still make an amazing backup DM. He does have a lot to offer to Chelsea in the upcoming years.