• Mount
    • Pedro
    • Pulisic
    • Giroud
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Willian (sub)

6 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Am I right that most tennis players do not take part in both singles and doubles matches at non grand slam tournaments during the year? As a result only two players each week, usually different players from week to week, play the maximum possible number of games. Most of the players get most of the week off. Off from playing seriously competitive matches at any rate. What's more, no players play every tournament of the season. They all take breaks.

Yes, most of the top ranked players don't play doubles because those are the ones playing in the semis and finals of most of the tournament. Irrespective, players at the top of the game play upwards of 60 even 70 games. For example Federer has a best season win ratio of 81-4 (2005), 92-5 (2006) or djokovic 82-6 (2016). These are numbers of games is high 80s or 90s. 

As for breaks, I am sorry but thats just incorrect. Old players like Federer, Nadal, djoko have NOW started a bit of load management. Because they can, the tournaments they play they usually end up winning. But for the world no. 50s, there is no margin of error. From world no.5-20 they are all normally in contention for the year end finals, so they do play each of the tournaments that they can. And sometimes even an extra to get that boost in ranking points. But as far as the 10 masters 1000s, 4 grand slams are concerned, I don't think any player takes off from them. Add 500s and 250s, and you have a jam packed schedule.

Also, point was not to put down footballers. Just saying that sportsman across the world are facing these issues. Some have to travel far more than footballers can imagine (NBA players), some are part of the most mentally and physically gruelling sport (tennis- mentally because of the nature of the sport. Players here are all alone, can't rely on their teamates till they get into their own purple patch). 

13 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Actually quite excited to see how Willian does in this team. He has a chance to be our key player in the final third. Never ever thought I would say this 😂 

For a bloke that’s averaged 5 league goals a season, that is an incredibly bold statement. 

Care to explain? 

20 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Thanks DB,

This is really interesting. Do you know what the comparative stats are for the mileage covered by basketball players over the course of a game? Whatever the mileage comparison, I wonder if that really answers the question of who works harder. An example of what I mean:-

When I was reffing, especially in the early days doing park football, I would easily out run any of the players on the pitch. I would often have a jokey conversation with players about how they were struggling to keep up with me, when I should have been struggling to keep up with them. Yet, when I played, I'd be blowing hard after 20 minutes. My point is that it's not just about the miles that you run when you play football. As a referee I could judge the run that I needed to make. I could judge whether I needed to extend it, sprint it out or just jog. As a player, you're not in that much control. You can be called on to do three peak sprints in succession followed by big physical confrontations when you get there. I promise you it's harder to run half as many miles when you're playing than it is to cover twice as many when you're reffing.

I wonder if we can ever gauge the amount of work done by a footballer in comparison to that done by basketball player? I'm sure calorific expenditure has been measured in both cases but is that enough information to make a judgement?

P.S. The first result I found on Google suggests an average NBA mileage per player, per game of about 2.6 miles and claims that this is roughly one third the average distance for a footballer. My guess is that the physical strain on a footballer is also tougher because of the nature of the sport. That said, I more or less only played basketball at school, so I'm ready to be corrected on this.

If you have ever played somewhat competitive football and basketball you will know the difference. Forget everything, start with the fact that you can sub in and sub out in basketball and they only play 48 minutes that are divided by 4 plus timeout.

Oh sorry.....I must be on the wrong site. I thought this was the Chelsea v Leicester thread???? But it looks more like like an advert for Eurosport :P:P Guys, we've played ONE league game and ONE Super cup game and we have a large squad... What the f@ck are we talking about "tiredness" after 2 games???? These are professionals who are payed to do this week in, and week out.

Oh and we will record a win against Leicester for the record. Wouldn't mind seeing Bats given a start, just to see what he offers us up front.

On 16/08/2019 at 8:52 PM, OhForAGreavsie said:

Anyway...

I think this is going to be a pivotal game for our season. We all enjoyed the performance against Liverpool but I think we have to acknowledge that they produced a fairly open display which gave us a chance to play our game. Largely speaking we took that chance well but I expect Leicester to try to close spaces a lot more than the Reds did. If we can overcome that and come up with another encouraging performance, along with the right result this time, I think the positivity will spread. If not, the doubts and the criticism will grow.

I don't think we will see as much sitting back from Leicester this year as we did in this fixture last, Brendan has made it very clear throughout his career that men behind the ball and low block isn't how he operates.

I won't be too disheartened if Leicester nick a result, they are a very tough team and even the two best teams in the land struggled at home to them last time (City needing a 1/1000 strike from a defender to win and Liverpool actually dropping points). I think a better idea of where our top 4 chances lie will be the two games after against Norwich and Sheffield, we flattrack bullied our way to 3rd last season with 53 points out of a possible 60 against the bottom half sides (more than City) and if we are to retain top four i feel we need a similar return against the lesser light's again.

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

I don't think we will see as much sitting back from Leicester this year as we did in this fixture last, Brendan has made it very clear throughout his career that men behind the ball and low block isn't how he operates.

I won't be too disheartened if Leicester nick a result, they are a very tough team and even the two best teams in the land struggled at home to them last time (City needing a 1/1000 strike from a defender to win and Liverpool actually dropping points). I think a better idea of where our top 4 chances lie will be the two games after against Norwich and Sheffield, we flattrack bullied our way to 3rd last season with 53 points out of a possible 60 against the bottom half sides (more than City) and if we are to retain top four i feel we need a similar return against the lesser light's again.

And I think we will be more competitive against the bigger sides. United aside

6 hours ago, Tomo said:

I'm not feeling negative about our prospects. It's just that I think the Liverpool game was not a good barometer for gauging the shape we're in. There were definitely things to like; Pulli's speed of thought, quickness of movement and accuracy of execution in setting up the first goal for example. From the moment I saw their team sheet however, I felt we could play against that Liverpool line-up. So much so in fact that I was convinced Kova was going to score at last. That didn't work out but we did manage to play our game. How we do against Leicester will be a better indicator I think.

Let's hope for a much better result this time around, it was a very good performance against the victims, but we definitely need to keep things tight at the back and convert our chances when they come. The signs are good, we just need to keep improving. Cheers

As good as the side looked in that 4-3-3 against Liverpool, I'm gonna predict that Frank will rotate quite a bit here. Think one or both of Barkley and Mount start and that Tammy starts in place of Giroud as a vote of confidence.

The key to this match for me will be how well we defend the wide areas. That goes for our wingers helping out, too. That's where Leicester will try to do their damage. Chilwell and their RB are both really good going forward.

22 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

For a bloke that’s averaged 5 league goals a season, that is an incredibly bold statement. 

Care to explain? 

Well I think weve already seen more from players like Barkley and Kovacic in 2 games than what we seen in the last 6 months under Sarri. Both were undoutedly beyond average last year so who knows how Willian will do, hopefully better than last year too.

There is real emphasis on playing more direct and quickly, using transitions more as opposed to constantly probing with possession for the majority of the game so I am intrigued to see how Willian does. 

Not expecting him to score 20 goals but I think there will be an improvement if he buys into what Frank's trying to do, there is a real emphasis on getting the ball forward as quickly as possible as well as winning it back high up and I think he will suit that. Hes not as gifted as a lot of players weve had over the years but he is definitely capable of more than 5 goals a season. 

15 minutes. Like past season, it won't be enough for Giroud to make us win this kind of game. Keep on claiming your english rookie or your belgian ghost, till you realize as you did belatedly with Higuain, they don't have what it takes to lead our attack . Stop living with fantaisies, we can reach the podium this season with a front striker with 16 goals and 7 assists, we don't need a 25 goals striker, anyhow we don't have it. With the big man, Pulisic, Mount and CHO, we can have more ambition than this awfull "year of transition" what we can often read on the forum. Next season, with another champion's league qualification we'll be able to sign up a 30 goal's striker, so then we'll be strong as never before