Callum Hudson-Odoi

The Skipper

Wow, that's a lot of money. I figured they would try to cheap out and offer half that just to turn his head.

Yes, but Bayern have the upper hand on this deal. If CHO plays bad, they pay nothing and send CHO back to us. If he delivers, they get a new player that fits their system

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, DDA said:

70 million. Thats how much Byern value his potential. That should ring alarm bells to all those who want to sell him. Byern rarely get things wrong.

I know it's an option to buy but it's 70 million... :ph34r:

20 minutes ago, DDA said:

70 million. Thats how much Byern value his potential. That should ring alarm bells to all those who want to sell him. Byern rarely get things wrong.

This is an odd way of thinking. Why not just appraise what you want of CHO independently of big club rumours. This same principle could apply to that Inter Milan were linked with Emerson, Barce and Madrid a few seasons ago linked with Alonso. It hardly changes my opinion of the player.

Regardless, players like Renato Sanches, Arp, Odriozola and Cuisance just in the last few years discount the already illogical myth that Bayern ‘never get it wrong’ with young talent. Or that a young talent can go to Bayern and somehow is therefore destined to be world class. They’ve just spent £80m on Luis Hernandez for him to be a back-up (at best) LB, third choice (at best) CB. They’re a well run club, but not some infallible work of nature. If they’re offering £70m for CHO I think we are the winners in that. If we offered £70m for a 19 year old winger who just has not shown any consistent top-level quality in his senior career I would be against the move 🤷🏿‍♂️

Edit: I guess the £70m fee makes good headlines but thinking about the nuance of the deal it is actually smart move if Bayern for it (and not great for us). As others have implied, if he actually performs then they get a good player for £70m. If he doesn’t no issue, he just comes back to us. So it is just a low risk gamble. So to maybe change the final analogy in the above comment I wouldn’t mind if we got some random young talent on a loan to buy offer for £70m. As it is low risk. But I still don’t agree with the train of thought that because Bayern are interested, that means CHO is good. I’ll think he’s good when he starts showing consistent high level performances for us!

3 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Yes, but Bayern have the upper hand on this deal. If CHO plays bad, they pay nothing and send CHO back to us. If he delivers, they get a new player that fits their system

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Yeah, appears our board aren't suckers who would agree to a buy option rather than an obligation luckily.

I just said an hour ago that I'd keep him but if we can't get them to pay a guarneteed £70m I'd let him go and sign either a DM or maybe Benrahma to directly replace him.

15 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

It's up to our club tbh. I think Callum is happy to stay but won't say no to listening to Bayern's offer. We need to be firm here either way. 

I don't get what's the play here, from both the club and CHO himself.

The club went through all the trouble last year to keep CHO and offer him a new contract but they are now just going to let him go?

And it seems like CHO isn't keen to leave at all but what makes him think that he will get more game time at Bayern than here? Is he going to be ahead of Sane, Coman and Gnabry? Is he going to feel valued as much as there as he does here at the club?

This drama feels so unnecessary after what has been a good transfer window for us. :doh: 

Just now, Jason said:

I don't get what's the play here, from both the club and CHO himself.

The club went through all the trouble last year to keep CHO and offer him a new contract but they are now just going to let him go?

And it seems like CHO isn't keen to leave at all but what makes him think that he will get more game time at Bayern than here? Is he going to be ahead of Sane, Coman and Gnabry? Is he going to feel valued as much as there as he does here at the club?

This drama feels so unnecessary after what has been a good transfer window for us. :doh: 

Think the club's interested possibly because of the money possibly involved. It stinks of Bayern doing their typical tapping up - don't understand why the club are entertaining this, we're not one of Bayern's German feeder clubs. 

1 minute ago, The Skipper said:

Think the club's interested possibly because of the money possibly involved. It stinks of Bayern doing their typical tapping up - don't understand why the club are entertaining this, we're not one of Bayern's German feeder clubs. 

But we should be firm and decide what we want to do. Either we want to keep him and just turn down whatever the offer is from Bayern or we don't want to keep him and are looking to negotiate. Right now, it feels like we're caught between two minds. 

No reason to sell even if that purchase option is obligation, despite the money we won't be able to replace him so late in the window and we're already short one winger, two wingers short would be a disaster.

Unless there is a large financial incentive initially or the selling club wants rid, why would a selling club agree to an option to buy?

An option to buy only protects the buying club to give them the opportunity to buy a player if they perform for them without the selling club jacking up the value. 

If it was an obligation to buy then I think some serious thought should go into it because Bayern are paying almost entirely then for his potential. It's not like a Havertz situation where CHO has a large portfolio of success at first team level to go with his age.

But an option to buy just seems foolish to accept. If he struggles then we get him back next summer another year older and his potential possibly no closer to being realised. And if he excelled and, say put up Sancho like numbers over there, then we'd be selling him under market value (especially considering how much English players are valued).