Ross Barkley

milllz

4 minutes ago, Georgy said:

None commenting on this guy? Invisible, fucking invisible last night it's like we played in 10 after Willian got subbed. Some actually comparing him to Lampard lol.

Hasn't played in ages. Comes on in a very difficult game.

I was of the opinion that only 2 things would happen when he came on. Either he would provide a terrific performance (like Oscar against Juventus in his first game) or be bad. I was hoping he would do the former, but I understand why it was the latter.

8 minutes ago, Georgy said:

None commenting on this guy? Invisible, fucking invisible last night it's like we played in 10 after Willian got subbed. Some actually comparing him to Lampard lol.

He had played 0 minutes this season bar like an hour in a closed door friendly last week?

I mean honestly for fuck sakes give the man a chance. Hes going to need time to build his match fitness, like others had said in previous threads from the game last night, he wasn't ready to play that length of time and I agree but the Willian injury was unfortunate. Didn't think Barkley was completely invisible but in terms of being willing to take the ball on the half turn and drive forward he did alright. That is a big part of his game. I don't see the likes of Baka or Kante taking it on the spin and doing the same. He gives us a different option. People were willing to give Baka time to build his match fitness at start of the season because he didn't get a pre-season with the club due to injury/duration his transfer took as well as Eden who was injured so I think its only fair that somebody who last played last season is given the same chance to build match fitness. Suppose you won't be the only person to think he was invisible but take that into account. Nobody compared him to Lampard, Lampard basically was a box to box midfielder who scored goals, Ross Barkley is a number 10, maybe eventually he will be somebody who can play as the most advanced midfielder or a deeper role but for now I see him as an attacking midfielder. He has the potential to be moulded into a more disciplined/box to box player yes but give it time. 

He wasn't the best player on the field but he also wasn't the worst. If you are judging him based on last night and his small cameo role it's time for for the Vodka and pills and locking of the bedroom door.

Again, clear to see hes still rusty but he got a bit more involved in limited minutes. Always looking to take the ball on the half turn and get forward. Hopefully in 2 weeks time we'll properly start to see him at 100% in terms of match fitness and he can show us a bit more. 

2 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

I think he shown some glimpses, but what is his actual position?

Not even close to being fast enough to play on wings in 3:4:3 and lacks tactical knowledge for midfield. 

But will be interesting how he develops.

I am not so sure being fast is a requirement playing as one of the front 3 as the two winger is actually more of a no 10 even cesc can play that position.

Like Conte said in his interview Barkley either will be the most advanced mid in 352 or one of the no 10 in 343.

I will wait till Barkley is fully fit to judge him, hopefully he can give us something different going forward because we certainly need help in that area

3 hours ago, communicate said:

I am not so sure being fast is a requirement playing as one of the front 3 as the two winger is actually more of a no 10 even cesc can play that position.

Like Conte said in his interview Barkley either will be the most advanced mid in 352 or one of the no 10 in 343.

I will wait till Barkley is fully fit to judge him, hopefully he can give us something different going forward because we certainly need help in that area

He would have to be either exceptional in creating and ball control ala Iniesta style or deadly efficient like Lamps to succeed in 3:4:3 with his pace.

But IMO he isnt either. He is a bit of everything, which can turn out to be good in midfield, but due to his lack of pace means he wont suceed in 3:4:3.

He will gain some speed once he fully settles fitness wise, but I dont see him as someone who adds dynamic to our attack. 

When Willian is on form, its absolute joy to watch him with Eden. Thats because they are both quick and dynamic, can run through channels and beat defenders. Barkley is way too slow for that. We already have slow paced team, cant afford to drop quick Willian or Pedro for Barkley in 3:4:3. 

Its not realy just pace though, but more movement and quick turns. I thought Wilshere looked good against us, very mobile and dynamic player.

Barkley looked quite slow and rusty, again partly due to injury recovery but also he is that kind of player. 

His only place IMO is in 3:5:2 or 4:3:3: as creative midfielder. And 3:5:2 is awful formation IMO because we only play with Morata and Eden upfront, everyone else is just defending. 

Barkley can be good player, but IMO doesnt suit this team at all unless we go back to 4 at the back.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

He would have to be either exceptional in creating and ball control ala Iniesta style or deadly efficient like Lamps to succeed in 3:4:3 with his pace.

But IMO he isnt either. He is a bit of everything, which can turn out to be good in midfield, but due to his lack of pace means he wont suceed in 3:4:3.

He will gain some speed once he fully settles fitness wise, but I dont see him as someone who adds dynamic to our attack. 

When Willian is on form, its absolute joy to watch him with Eden. Thats because they are both quick and dynamic, can run through channels and beat defenders. Barkley is way too slow for that. We already have slow paced team, cant afford to drop quick Willian or Pedro for Barkley in 3:4:3. 

Its not realy just pace though, but more movement and quick turns. I thought Wilshere looked good against us, very mobile and dynamic player.

Barkley looked quite slow and rusty, again partly due to injury recovery but also he is that kind of player. 

His only place IMO is in 3:5:2 or 4:3:3: as creative midfielder. And 3:5:2 is awful formation IMO because we only play with Morata and Eden upfront, everyone else is just defending. 

Barkley can be good player, but IMO doesnt suit this team at all unless we go back to 4 at the back.

I think you are talking about having barkley as starting player which is not the case at this point. Right now he is another option for Conte for the two positions that I mentioned unless he can show to us that he is a starting player material for big team like us then we can really find a way to get the best of Barkley.

The biggest problem for 352 is not about the formation, the formation is perfectly fine, it is just our wb are just not good enough to be the only width players plus either baka and kante need to start to learn to be more progressive in term of their passing. Many times both player play simple pass all the time. I don't know whether it is their fault, by design or the movement of our front player is not good enough.  But it really pissed me off when the ball move only side to side without going forward quickly

“The way we are playing, he can play like a No10, like a striker, on the right or on the left. Or, if we decide to play with three midfielders, he can play on the right or the left.”

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2018/1/31/16954298/conte-urges-ross-barkley-to-start-thinking-on-the-pitch

I doubt we will ever see him in 2-man mid.

Is looking awful so far. I realized that apart from Kante our central midfield options are Barkley, Baka, Drinkwater and Cesc.. oh boy
He's playing out of position for me. Playing at the top of a 5 man midfielder is where he is meant to play.

On 31/01/2018 at 0:56 PM, El P. said:

“The way we are playing, he can play like a No10, like a striker, on the right or on the left. Or, if we decide to play with three midfielders, he can play on the right or the left.”

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2018/1/31/16954298/conte-urges-ross-barkley-to-start-thinking-on-the-pitch

I doubt we will ever see him in 2-man mid.

I don't understand what he means by playing on the right or left in a midfield 3. The pivot? Wing-back?