Ross Barkley

milllz

12 hours ago, blahblahblah said:

But he is going to get a similar contract irrespective of his status of being a Chelsea player or not, right?

I mean it's a moot point for Celtic what contract they offer Barkley irrespective of him being a Chelsea player or a free agent. Hence i don't understand the move. 

Our options were to buy off his contract or pay part of his wages while Celtic pays the rest. I guess it might have been a better position financially  for the club to buy his contract our rather than pay part of his wages. Don't know, just feels unintuitive.

I dont even think Celtic would go for him. Scottish League may not be an incredible standard but Celtic’s business since Ange Postecoglu took over has been pretty incredible compared to the previous 3 or 4 windows. I mean a lot of the games I’ve see, he’s basically signed 3/4s of a whole new team and it is so clear they all suit his philosophy off high tiempo attacking and high pressing football.

Throw in the fact Celtic have got a lot of players in MF too as they’ve basically overhauled those places, so unless Matt O’Reilly (looks like he could be the next big one to go, links with Man United, Dortmund, Liverpool, Newcastle) is sold then I don’t see it happening. James McCarthy joined for big wages last summer and barely starts so they’d be wary to sign another big wage player I’d imagine incase it didn’t work out.

In fact I think whilst it may seem attractive to the Old Firm (again the fact we couldn’t shift Barkley at all screams out that it definitely wouldn’t be) in my eyes their much better sticking with developing the likes of O’Reilly, Turnbull (Celtic) and Tillman (Rangers) because both their models are orientated around progressing players and generating big profits from them. Plus Rangers signed Aaron Ramsay and that barely worked out either, someone who when fit is considerably better than Ross Barkley. I honestly do think the time of the Scottish League being a retirement home/place where players such as Barkley, Ramsay etc would go to see out a few seasons and get away with half arsing it is done. Its never going to be a top league but Rangers and Celtic are definitely ambitious sides and the standards aren’t exactly League 1 or League 2.

I really think Barkley ending up playing at a top 10 PL club is very unlikely. In fact going abroad may reinvigorate his career.

Edited by OneMoSalah

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Strange move but maybe one that gives him a bit of a platform. I doubt it though - he’s always thought he’s better than he is and has never delivered. 

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Happy for him. He doesn't deserve all the hate.

Mount deserves it

Jesus youve a hard on for Mount do you