Álvaro Morata

Captain Ahmed

4 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

i agree others need to score more yeah. 

But Im still more concerned about Morata being THIS poor infront of goal. He is main striker and needs to improve quickly.

If Eden missed three sitters it would be hard to chew, but he isnt our main finisher. Its normal he would get different reaction. Eden main goal is to dribble and create. Morata is to finish. 

Its like Christensen had awesome game in defence but miss three sitters. He would still be hailed for top game. 

If Morata created 5 chances but missed 3 himself he would be blamed. Because he is striker and you expect striker to score. 

The situation was we had world class striker in Costa and we paid 70m for 25m striker who played in Real and Juve before. Same guy who benched Costa in national team. Surely you are patient, but there were big expectations. 

Morata now missed 14! clear chances, only Salah missed more (15). 

Its not really though, regarding Eden, hes playing as a second striker more often than not so why can't he not be judged on goals more than anything else as well? Eden puts in same sort of performances playing in front 3 or off the striker, really consistent high level, you get take ons, chances created, key passes, tricks and flicks yes and its obvious hes a level above most of our players and a lot in the PL but yes we have to start being objective and looking at all the attacking players outputs in their goals and assists too when they've not actually contributed anywhere near as much to the point our left wing back is our second top scorer in the league. That is the bigger problem for me. People want to criticise our top scorer who has done relatively well and not look at the others who haven't contributed as much. Eden is a firm fan favourite and I want him to elevate his game to that next level but now hes playing as a second striker and getting more chances in front of goal and can score more than he does. Doesnt have to be Messi or Ronaldo levels but he can get 20 goals a season, he is that good. Even the likes of Bakayoko or Cesc always seems to arrive in the box and dont put it away anywhere near as often as they should Willian Pedro Batshuayi same instances. I don't get this main finisher point, everybody can score goals, the more the better, thats the point.

Costa was never world class for me, he was slightly frustrating but there were times where you just knew he was putting the ball in the net be it at 10 mph or 100mph, you just knew more often than not if he got a good chance he'd score it. I think Morata will still mature and get that instinct, he signed a 5 year contract hes only 25, he will continue to grow etc and hopefully develop that killer instinct (hopefully Eden can as well). His price tag is irrelevant because the transfer market is crazy, 50-70m whatever it was he cost is the new 30-35m.  

1 minute ago, Mana said:

It may not happen again, but this was a critical game...even though in the dying minutes of the match Arsenal equalised we had a golden chance straight after to win, and as Morata's job as a striker what we paid him for, he should have buried that. Anywhere else on target it would have been a goal.

Kane may not score in August (don't know why) but he scores in pretty much every other month. I mentioned Salah because Liverpool play him as one, and while he can miss a chance, he dares not miss the second time.

And the reason why Spuds fans don't go saying Kane is shite and saying x is better than him is simply because HE IS PROVEN and there's some voodoo that he can't score in the August month. Morata isn't proven. 

Liverpool won't win the title because their defense is super shite, not because of Salah and the attack. Liverpool's attack is lethal and we will struggle with it ourselves.

Lol, I hope in the end I can look back and say "I'm stupid to think Morata's shite" but there's an 85% chance that won't happen. We have entered the 2nd half of the season and he still has the same problems that we saw from the first game.

His finishing reminds me of Torres. That's why Torres comes to my mind. That won't change until he majorly improves.

It was a critical game where if we defended better or pressed more in MF we would have maybe won too, no? There were lots of reasons we drew tonight, finishing was one of them, goalkeeping was another. Yes hes a striker yes he should score. His confidence is well shot you could tell in his body language after the first one. I thought he was just trying to be too clever trying to place it that well considering Cech was going other side but maybe he was just too nervous? Kane is proven yeah but Morata has shown in Europe and on international stage he is also a good player, the goals will come back again, his finishing can improve and I can see Conte helping him out too, players suffer loss of form, confidence etc. Wouldn't get too concerned after a wee period where hes been playing flat out every 3 days as well bar a few games. The team could do with more goals though, you seen Conte didn't throw Batshuayi on, which shows how much he rates or trusts him and that was after he seen him miss three sitters so what do you think his major concern will be, lack of goals from Morata or lack of quality to change it up? Still think the Torres thing is a bit OTT but lol.

5 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I'm sure an offer of around £40m would interest Torino. He all-round game would offer us something we lack upfront & him being Italian might be another plus as well.

I rarely follow any sort of media concerning the club due to the amount of idiots that have a platform which spout nonsense.

I agree with the point that the Torres comparison after overstepping the mark. However, I doubt Morata would have the composure to finish like Torres did at the Nou Camp on current evidence.

Maybe. I dont know, they talked about him having 100m euros clause for foreign clubs outside of Italy. I think Morata will probably bounce back, hes bound to have 0 confidence after that game and I'm sure Conte will have said you should have scored. He probably knows himself he should have scored them. I do think we need better options to bring off the bench than Batshuayi though for the odd chances of off nights from players.

Maybe. I dont know, they talked about him having 100m euros clause for foreign clubs outside of Italy. I think Morata will probably bounce back, hes bound to have 0 confidence after that game and I'm sure Conte will have said you should have scored. He probably knows himself he should have scored them. I do think we need better options to bring off the bench than Batshuayi though for the odd chances of off nights from players.
When is enough, though?

5 minutes ago, LAM09 said:
7 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

When is enough, though?

What of Morata being here as first choice? 

If he has a full season or that where he scores a hugely underwhelming amount of goals like 5 or 6 then I think we would need to re-evaluate but no chance in hell that will be happening. Or if we get a chance to sign a genuinely world class striker that would have to start but honestly how many of them are about and likely to come here. There are bigger problems than Morata. Wing backs could be better, although Alonso is coming up with some big goals and also squad depth could be improved. Lack of players who will get double figures in goals in the league as well, not only a problem this season has been for 4-5 years, the days of Malouda, Anelka, Drogba, Lampard, Kalou all scoring 10+ each at least is well gone.

What of Morata being here as first choice? 
If he has a full season or that where he scores a hugely underwhelming amount of goals like 5 or 6 then I think we would need to re-evaluate but no chance in hell that will be happening. Or if we get a chance to sign a genuinely world class striker that would have to start but honestly how many of them are about and likely to come here. There are bigger problems than Morata. Wing backs could be better, although Alonso is coming up with some big goals and also squad depth could be improved. Lack of players who will get double figures in goals this season as well probably.

I meant him starting despite not scoring with a healthy option on the bench. Only real WC striker that could potentially is Kane or we go for someone slightly below that like Icardi.

We were in need of another first choice WB in the summer but look what happened. The board are to blame for our frailties.

Just now, LAM09 said:

I meant him starting despite not scoring with a healthy option on the bench. Only real WC striker that could potentially is Kane or we go for someone slightly below that like Icardi.

We were in need of another first choice WB in the summer but look what happened. The board are to blame for our frailties.

Well depends on how often Conte wants to use a false 9 unless by some miracle he gets someone in who is a bit better than Batshuayi. I doubt hes overly keen with the false 9 as hes repeatedly mentioned a striker being the focal point for the team since coming here. Batshuayi won't cut it for me, think hes not got a bit more to his game, sure he can finish but when your playing with Hazard, Willian and Pedro you need to be able to do a bit more than that as they like to come in interchange, run off you into scoring positions. I doubt Kane would ever come here either, which is a shame but also as many goals as he scores I think he shoots far too often at times, fair enough its better than not enough but still I think if he ever makes the move to a Real or Barca like many suspect to happen he wont have that same sort of authority where he could just ping it from 35 yards. Also if people aren't happy with Morata they won't be with Icardi, hes a good player too but don't think theres much a difference between the two. 

Well depends on how often Conte wants to use a false 9 unless by some miracle he gets someone in who is a bit better than Batshuayi. I doubt hes overly keen with the false 9 as hes repeatedly mentioned a striker being the focal point for the team since coming here. Batshuayi won't cut it for me, think hes not got a bit more to his game, sure he can finish but when your playing with Hazard, Willian and Pedro you need to be able to do a bit more than that as they like to come in interchange, run off you into scoring positions. I doubt Kane would ever come here either, which is a shame but also as many goals as he scores I think he shoots far too often at times, fair enough its better than not enough but still I think if he ever makes the move to a Real or Barca like many suspect to happen he wont have that same sort of authority where he could just ping it from 35 yards. Also if people aren't happy with Morata they won't be with Icardi, hes a good player too but don't think theres much a difference between the two. 

Think all that people want around are here is a CF that will score 1 in 2 after having Drogba & Costa (when in form) around. Icardi has his flaws for sure but poaching isn't one of them.

There just isn't the perfect striker around that does everything.

31 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

lol calm down. I'm talking about Costa in the second half of the season. He always had jekyll and hyde seasons for us where he'd be amazign 1 half of the season only to go completely cold the other.

I give a shit because it's frustrating when a striker isn't scoring and seems more interested in picking fights then scoring goals. If a striker is struggling you want him to focus on his game.

It's not that i want to belittle Costa but the way people talk about Costa sometimes as if he never missed big chances or played like shit.

Im still upset after we conceded in final seconds haha

But I realy dislike the hate towards Costa. Yes he was a problem figure, but that doesnt change the fact he scored 20 a season twice and guided us to two titles. 

Yet he is so underrated. He is along Drogba by far the best main striker we had since Jimmy. 

Thing with Costa was you knew he might throw tantrums if he wanted. But he was deadly in penalty area. With Morata, he does everything allright, but you know he will shot straight in gk or miss whole goal. Its extremely frustrating. 

Our striker has to be compared to Drobga, Costa or Kane, Aguero....not donkeys like Torres and Lukaku. 

Last year Costa broke down many attacks, but when he got a chance he took it. Morata now links up well with others, resulting in many chances, but his current ratio is one goal in 10 chances. Costas was 3 in 10.

Meaning Morata has potential to score more goals than Costa but actualy ends up with less. Heading goals are quality but I dont want to rely on striker with only good heading. 

Time will tell, but I have feeling Morata will be world class second striker, not so much main one.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

You don't miss shots like that if you're bad. You miss them because you have no confidence. He thinks too much out there. I don't think it is a Torres situation, because he was done by the time he came here.

That's where I disagree. I don't think it's about confidence with Morata at all; it's simply about him being this kind of player.

During his professional career Morata has scored 82 goals in 232 games. That's a goal every 2,8 games, basically what he has been scoring in the past 13 PL games (4 goals) ever since his hattrick against Stoke. Do I think he will continue missing a sitter per game? No, I don't. However, I do expect Morata to continue scoring every 2,8 games. When he stops missing every 1-on-1 he'll probably top out at a 2,3 rate but generally speaking this is just the type of player he is. He'll always be frustrating because he'll always leave you wanting for more. He's been this player at Real and he's been this player at Juve: very good technically, strong in the air, consistent in his overall contribution but simply not a killer in front of the goal.

IMO after over 200 professional games you kind of are what you are. Players rarely change dramatically after that number of games and Morata suddenly becoming clinical would a dramatic change.

8 minutes ago, Amblève. said:

That's where I disagree. I don't think it's about confidence with Morata at all; it's simply about him being this kind of player.

During his professional career Morata has scored 82 goals in 232 games. That's a goal every 2,8 games, basically what he has been scoring in the past 13 PL games (4 goals) ever since his hattrick against Stoke. Do I think he will continue missing a sitter per game? No, I don't. However, I do expect Morata to continue scoring every 2,8 games. When he stops missing every 1-on-1 he'll probably top out at a 2,3 rate but generally speaking this is just the type of player he is. He'll always be frustrating because he'll always leave you wanting for more. He's been this player at Real and he's been this player at Juve: very good technically, strong in the air, consistent in his overall contribution but simply not a killer in front of the goal.

IMO after over 200 professional games you kind of are what you are. Players rarely change dramatically after that number of games and Morata suddenly becoming clinical would a dramatic change.

He has 10 in 18 games for us. 

You can use those stats if you like, but for the first time he is a full fledged starter. Not to mention, he just turned 25, so he has gotten better. 

You can say, apart from the Stoke game, he is at a similar scoring rate to what he was, but I can counter and say, if he hadn't of missed about 6 or 7 sitters (maybe more), he'd be at nearly a goal a game for us. 

You aren't a professional footballer if you are who you are by missing a one on one with the keeper by three feet (regularly, especially at the striker position). That just isn't true. You don't have to be a killer in front of goal to nail at least two of the chances he had today. It is confidence. Point blank.

5 minutes ago, Amblève. said:

But Morata was never the main guy. Now he probably feels more pressure. Before he was a sub player and if he scored it was nice. Now he has to score since he is main striker. 

I think its all about confidence with him. He scored some amazing goals with feet, he is literaly complete striker. He can score long curved goals, headers, poacher goals,...but he isnt consistent. 

Back in juve in CL, he scored several quality goals on regular basis, he just took the shot, because why not. His kicking ability is amazing. Here, he has to score its expected from him. 

And it gets to him. When he is one on one, its expected to score and his confidence ruins him. IMO the harder chance to score, the more chance it is for him to score because he doesnt feel as much pressure as when 1v1. 

What I dont believe is when people say he just had off game against Arsenal. Thats just not true. His finishing is poor almost every game, its not day form thing. 

He has to get his confidence higher and he will have incredible potential. But its big question if he can do it.

At the very worst he might never be someone to score every weekend, but someone who can score any time any how. 

Hopefuly he gets his confidence up before barca games.

52 minutes ago, Hybrid Angel said:

Right, I'm as frustrated about his performance as any other person. My post probably wouldn't look anything like this had I been typing it straight after the match but I can manage something more level-headed after a few hours.

That performance today along with his performance against Stoke reminded me of a certain Edinson Cavani from the beginning of last season, a player who's now become my favorite striker in Europe.

Cavani made all the right movements but couldn't finish anything to save his life. Great movement is the sign of great potential, I think Morata seems to suffer from a confidence issue just like Cavani did. We need to give the guy some time because he's young and this is his first season starting week in week out. The Torres comparisons are nonsense, surely they're coming from people who didn't really watch Torres because Fernando wouldn't get himself into those positions in first place (so wouldn't Batshuayi). 

His finishing was terrible, but that was the only (albeit very costly) problem with his game today. For the most part he was on point with his passes and had good hold up play the entire match. He needs to improve on his finishing ability and confidence. Let us be patient with him, because we can all see the great striker we can have on our hands if he simply fixes his one on one ability.

That video is hilarious. Proper made my day that has.

Everything looks out of sync for me, he looks like he doesn't know where his feet are, meant to be or how he should use them. That first miss where he goes clear, his body isn't even in the correct position for what he is actually trying to do or achieve. The magnifying glass is really on him now after last night and if he thinks he's under pressure now, just wait until his next sitter he misses.

So fucking worried about this bloke.