John Terry

DavidEU

Hilarious how Rio tries to conceal his massive insecurities.

Putting himself as #1 and trying to justify it by saying he could play in any era and in any system as if he knew he'd get backlash (and rightly so) from where he put Terry. Saying Terry played in a low block whilst at the same time failing to answer why Terry had better attacking and overall metrics than him. I don't remember Puyol having any issues in playing a high line and he was as slow as Terry. His ability on the ball made up for it. 

Fact of the matter is Terry had 11-12 years playing at an elite and consistent level. Rio was lucky to manage 5. This is why Terry is regarded the best in the Prem. 

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

ImageImage

I'm looking at all the forums/youtube comment sections after this JT/Rio spat, and it looks like the majority consensus is that JT was superior. 

Even United fans were grudgingly admitting it.

Only the hard-core red brigade would deny that.

Then there's the ridiculous statement that Carvalho made JT look better.

He has won premier leagues with at least 4 different CB partners, including Gallas, Alex and Cahill.

JT may have potential limitations in a high line, but I think he would have played the sweeper role that Thiago is playing now, very well. He is supreme.

7 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Out of curiosity what was Rio's list, I struggle to watch anything relating to him because he gives me a headache like most of the BT and Sky Sports pundits

If I remember correctly it was Rio, Vidic, Van Dijk, Stam and Terry. Rio seemingly wasn´t too happy when Van Dijk mentioned Terrys records (most clean sheets etc.) and went on about what a great defender he was when he compiled his own list. That was hilarious. 

4 hours ago, Beigl said:

If I remember correctly it was Rio, Vidic, Van Dijk, Stam and Terry. Rio seemingly wasn´t too happy when Van Dijk mentioned Terrys records (most clean sheets etc.) and went on about what a great defender he was when he compiled his own list. That was hilarious. 

He then tried to justify it by saying Terry played in a lower block and that he and VVD could play in any system, to which the fans on twitter bombarded Rio with Terry's attacking metrics shitting all over Rio's. The fact VVD had a sly dig at Rio when he picked himself as #1 and the confusion when he picked Terry #5 says it all. 

I'm not a fan of Terry as a person but I am not going to ignore the 11-12 years of elite consistent performances he dished out. Terry won the league at 35 and made it to the bloody TOTS. What did Rio do at 35?

Carragher seems to be the only one with any bollocks to call it out as it is. Terry is genuinely the best in the PL era and arguably one of the best CBs in the modern era. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

13 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He then tried to justify it by saying Terry played in a lower block and that he and VVD could play in any system, to which the fans on twitter bombarded Rio with Terry's attacking metrics shitting all over Rio's. The fact VVD had a sly dig at Rio when he picked himself as #1 and the confusion when he picked Terry #5 says it all. 

I'm not a fan of Terry as a person but I am not going to ignore the 11-12 years of elite consistent performances he dished out. Terry won the league at 35 and made it to the bloody TOTS. What did Rio do at 35?

Carragher seems to be the only one with any bollocks to call it out as it is. Terry is genuinely the best in the PL era and arguably one of the best CBs in the modern era. 

tbf Rio also won the league as starting cb aged 35

But overall for me, Terry, Vidic and van Dijk are all better than Rio.

Even Rooney picked Terry as best defender he ever played with or against which includes Ferdi on both sides.

The low block argument is BS. Opposed to Ferdy, JT did play a high line multiple times under Carlo and AVB. Cant remember Rio ever doing so under SAF.

8 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Even Rooney picked Terry as best defender he ever played with or against which includes Ferdi on both sides.

The low block argument is BS. Opposed to Ferdy, JT did play a high line multiple times under Carlo and AVB. Cant remember Rio ever doing so under SAF.

He didn't. He picked Rio in a recent interview with Carragher. 

19 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He didn't. He picked Rio in a recent interview with Carragher. 

He said so in 2018, 2020 and 2021... so maybe his opinion was swayed.

Anyway, can not expect someone like Rooney to keep the facts straight for 4 years running lol

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-legends-wayne-rooney-reveals-toughest-players-he-played-against-in-his-career-20201023

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7447490/wayne-rooney-john-terry-toughest-opponent-Chelsea-retirement/

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/news-Chelsea-legend-john-terry-names-toughest-manchester-united-opponent-faced-career

Edited by Magic Lamps

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Just seen Rio did win the league and TOTS at 35 so nvm. 😂

4 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

This Van Dijk being one of the best PL CB’s of all time is absolutely baffling. He hasn’t done half as much as any of those, Rio, Terry, Vidic but this Liverpool love in has accelerated van Dijk, who is a very good CB no doubt, to some sort of godlike CB when he has only really played at a top top level for 2.5-3 years. 

He has 1 PL, 1 CL, 1 Carabao Cup, 1 Super cup, 1 Club World Cup and 1 FA Cup to his name. The others trophy haul and general consistency in the PL dwarfs Virgils by a mile. He is the best CB in the PL alongside Ruben Dias, Laporte etc but top 5 of all time?? Laughable. 

10 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

This Van Dijk being one of the best PL CB’s of all time is absolutely baffling. He hasn’t done half as much as any of those, Rio, Terry, Vidic but this Liverpool love in has accelerated van Dijk, who is a very good CB no doubt, to some sort of godlike CB when he has only really played at a top top level for 2.5-3 years. 

He has 1 PL, 1 CL, 1 Carabao Cup, 1 Super cup, 1 Club World Cup and 1 FA Cup to his name. The others trophy haul and general consistency in the PL dwarfs Virgils by a mile. He is the best CB in the PL alongside Ruben Dias, Laporte etc but top 5 of all time?? Laughable. 

you know why.....

the English footie press has a natural position

on their knees and elbows

lovingly rolling around a scouser nutsack (preferably ginger hairy) in their mouth

whilst squealing in delight over the manc pronger up their batty crease

He struggled dealing with the physicality of Lukaku and Giroud, imagine peak Drogba.

Vidic and Rio had to both be 100% to make sure Drogba didn't score, and even that wasn't enough given Drogba's hold up play. 

JT was a elite CB and the best CB of the past 20 years. Anyone saying anything else just has an axe to grind or doesn't know enough about football.

As for JT the man, he does leave quite a bit to be desired which is why be probably won't ever be a manager, even though he would probably be good at it. That is the cross he has to burden going forward.