Diego Costa

Spike

42 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

What a business that was! Bought for like 32m. He gave us 3 prime years and 2 titles and was sold for 60m. He did not do shit in Atletico after he came back.

Sure was, pity he had to dance with other clubs when it really wasnt needed. Im sure we could have given him a juicy new contract. Yup he did jack shit for AM since returning.

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2020 at 5:21 PM, NikkiCFC said:

What a business that was! Bought for like 32m. He gave us 3 prime years and 2 titles and was sold for 60m. He did not do shit in Atletico after he came back.

Feels good doesn't it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Conte on the Costa saga...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/11/17/antonio-conte-exclusive-interview-wanted-sign-lukaku-van-dijk/

Conte’s two-year Chelsea reign and the nature of his departure was one of the most spectacular in Premier League history. He came, he saw, he conquered and he got sacked, despite following up his title success by winning the FA Cup in what proved to be his final season.

Other than the 61-word statement, both Chelsea and Conte have remained silent on their divorce until now. But the 51-year-old has opened up to Telegraph Sport on the transfer hits and misses, joining an exclusive title-winning club, his relationship with owner Roman Abramovich, how he hopes to one day return to England and the infamous Diego Costa saga.

Conte’s preparations for his second season in charge were badly disrupted by Costa effectively using a text message as an excuse to force a move away, which in many ways pre-empted the storm that was to follow.

The striker had scored 20 goals in Chelsea’s Premier League success, but had agitated for moves to Atletico Madrid and China, before seizing on a text message in which Costa claimed Conte informed him he was no longer part of his plans.

Conte stands by his management of the situation and was conciliatory towards Costa. “First of all, I am a person that doesn’t want to speak badly about a situation with a player from a club that I trained,” he said. “It’s right always to keep good memories and I prefer to keep good memories also about Diego Costa because we won together a league title in an incredible season.

“But, for sure, the truth, we know the truth. The player, his agent, the club and I. We know how many times he asked to go away to Atletico Madrid at the start of the season, during the season to go to China, and at the end of the season to join, again, Atletico Madrid.

“This is the truth and, honestly, in my career I want to have players who are concentrated on my team and not to consider my team a second choice. My team must be the first choice.

“It was an incredible season and I managed, together with the club, the Diego Costa situation in the best possible way. But, in the end, the truth was only that the player wanted to leave many times to Atletico Madrid and during the season to go to China because he wanted the best contract.”

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Conte still receives hella stick for this by our fans....though it was clear Costa wanted to leave many times during his tenure here.

• 1 month later...

On his way out of AM in the upcoming window. If Giroud leaves for any reason, I wouldn't mind taking him back for 6-18 months. Sure he isn't the player he was but at the moment we need more cnut's in the team as we are too nice and what better cnut could everyone learn from? 

32 minutes ago, King Kante said:

On his way out of AM in the upcoming window. If Giroud leaves for any reason, I wouldn't mind taking him back for 6-18 months. Sure he isn't the player he was but at the moment we need more cnut's in the team as we are too nice and what better cnut could everyone learn from? 

No thanks. We turned a blind eye on Costa's c***ish-ness last time because he was producing it on the pitch. Otherwise, his attitude isn't worth persevering with and worth remembering Lampard also wants players with a good character in the squad and not one who could be troublemaker. Moreover, Costa has gone downhill and has had plenty of injuries ever since he went back to Atletico. 

3 hours ago, King Kante said:

Not who he was is an understatement, he in the present day makes our version of Falcao look like a GOAT.

2 minutes ago, Mana said:

I don't know why people want Costa back. The only time I wanted him back is because we had Morata and he was worse (at the time). But people seem to forget the terrible times when Costa was here.

Costa v Conte, doesn't matter what side you're on he was part of that negativity in the dressing room.

Costa throwing a bib at Mourinho. Costa doing red card offenses on the pitch that while he may got away with it then, he will definitely not get away with it now thanks to VAR.

Also worth remembering that while Costa scored tons of goals in the two title winning seasons, he kinda went off the boil in the second half of both seasons. He tended to fade off after a strong start to the season.

And not to mention, we don't need to get bad PR for his on the field behavior again. We already have enough other problems/worries as it is...

Personally, I do not mind Costa's antics, I think they are largely overplayed and a lot of it is to do with his upbringing growing up in a favela. I mean, firstly you have to accept what he thinks is 'normal behaviour' is going to be different to that of players who grew up in Europe and have been pampered to since they got swallowed up into a youth set up before they were in secondary school. 

I mean if you hear the players that played with him, almost all of them sing his praises which tells me he is probably a good teammate/bloke but just with a mercurial/anti-establishment mentality. 

Further, I personally like the dark arts of the game and hate widespread blandness of players today and especially how a certain segment also come out with empty platitude nonsense as they trying to build some sort of sainted/sanistised brand on InstaTwit or whatever. Me personally, I'll take a player with Costa's personality over any of those posers. 

That said, I fully appreciate he isn't the player that he was and that is enough to avoid. However, my initial post did outline him being an option if Giroud leaves in Jan which is fairly unlikely so it was more of a hypothetical suggestion than a real idea. Obviously, it is one that no one else likes. 

On 24/12/2020 at 0:36 AM, King Kante said:

Personally, I do not mind Costa's antics, I think they are largely overplayed and a lot of it is to do with his upbringing growing up in a favela. I mean, firstly you have to accept what he thinks is 'normal behaviour' is going to be different to that of players who grew up in Europe and have been pampered to since they got swallowed up into a youth set up before they were in secondary school. 

I mean if you hear the players that played with him, almost all of them sing his praises which tells me he is probably a good teammate/bloke but just with a mercurial/anti-establishment mentality. 

Further, I personally like the dark arts of the game and hate widespread blandness of players today and especially how a certain segment also come out with empty platitude nonsense as they trying to build some sort of sainted/sanistised brand on InstaTwit or whatever. Me personally, I'll take a player with Costa's personality over any of those posers. 

That said, I fully appreciate he isn't the player that he was and that is enough to avoid. However, my initial post did outline him being an option if Giroud leaves in Jan which is fairly unlikely so it was more of a hypothetical suggestion than a real idea. Obviously, it is one that no one else likes. 

I would welcome him back as Giroud's replacement