Diego Costa

Spike

We sold Costa at the right time?

That would be true if we brought a proper replacement.

Instead we spend twice the cash and still dont have a proper striker, so might as well kept Costa who even in decline is no worse than current strikers we have.

Same applies to Matic and Bakayoko.

On 13/04/2019 at 10:59 AM, BlueLyon said:

We sold Costa at the right time?

That would be true if we brought a proper replacement.

Instead we spend twice the cash and still dont have a proper striker, so might as well kept Costa who even in decline is no worse than current strikers we have.

Same applies to Matic and Bakayoko.

Funny thing is, Morata is better than the current day Costa, that's why Simeone turned to the former and plays him ahead of the latter.

That's how bad Costa has turned, he's been off form for two and a half years, think it's safe to say he's finished as a top class striker.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Funny thing is, Morata is better than the current day Costa, that's why Simeone turned to the former and plays him ahead of the latter.

That's how bad Costa has turned, he's been off form for two and a half years, think it's safe to say he's finished as a top class striker.

Perhaps. 

If Conte solved issue with him and he stayed fit in full preseason with us instead of chilling in brazil or wherever he dissapeared to for half a year before he joined atletico, then its very possible he would have at least one more 20+ goal season with us.

Aside from his usual drop in form during second half of season, he shown no decline here.

Im fully convinced we would benefit more with Costa in the past two years than strikers that replaced him. Just his presence alone gave us that fear factor and passion that is long gone now.

31 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Perhaps. 

If Conte solved issue with him and he stayed fit in full preseason with us instead of chilling in brazil or wherever he dissapeared to for half a year before he joined atletico, then its very possible he would have at least one more 20+ goal season with us.

Aside from his usual drop in form during second half of season, he shown no decline here.

Im fully convinced we would benefit more with Costa in the past two years than strikers that replaced him. Just his presence alone gave us that fear factor and passion that is long gone now.

I would say his drop off in 2017 was the start of his decline, it got the point i was starting to wonder if he was doing it on purpose.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Diego Costa scores four and is sent off as Atlético thrash Real Madrid in friendly

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/27/diego-costa-scores-four-and-is-sent-off-as-atletico-thrash-real-madrid-in-friendly

Diego Costa scored four goals and was sent off as Atlético Madrid thrashed Real Madrid 7-3 in their International Champions Cup friendly in New Jersey.

Dani Carvajal was dismissed alongside Costa after a second-half melee as Zinedine Zidane’s pre-season problems intensified. Real were 5-0 down at half-time to their local rivals at the MetLife Stadium as Costa and new Atlético signing João Félix ran riot.

Zidane included new signings Eden Hazard and Luka Jovic in a strong starting line-up, but his side were behind in the first minute, Félix setting up Costa whose deflected shot beat Thibaut Courtois. Félix, signed from Benfica for £113m this summer, scored his first Atlético goal from close range seven minutes later.

Ángel Correa, brought on for the injured Álvaro Morata, volleyed a third before Costa got his second after Saúl pounced on a defensive error from Sergio Ramos. Isco conceded a penalty on the stroke of half-time and Costa completed his hat-trick from the spot, while Luka Modric went off with a knee injury in a nightmare half for Real.

Atlético refused to ease off in the second half as Felix set up Costa to chip Keylor Navas and make it 6-0. Nacho pulled one back for Real Madrid before Costa and Carvajal saw red after an altercation in the 65th minute.

Vitolo restored Atlético’s six-goal lead with a spectacular solo run and finish after 70 minutes, and late consolation goals from Karim Benzema (penalty) and Javi Hernández Carrera did little to disguise the superiority of Diego Simeone’s side.

snip

http://yfl.viuclips.net/player/html/1lkXHGA8C7?popup=yes&autoplay=1

Drogba is legend. 

But in the tier below is this guy with no one near him. He was a fucking bull in Contes first season and in his first season here. The passion would get the fans on their fight and build an atmosphere that the rest of the players felt. 

Such a nuisance, I remember how he terrorised Portugal defence in the world cup group game last year. He made the Madrid back 4 look like ours did against Bournemouth. 

He has his weaknesses. Still can throw a donkey first touch every now and then but he'll always be one of my faves. 

Capitano!

When I coach my strikers at grass roots level I always use Costa as an example.....He is a fine example of just simply a horrible (in the right kind of way) striker to play against. Slight movement that gave him 2 yards, or simply that aggression on and off the ball that set him apart from the rest.

20 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

When I coach my strikers at grass roots level I always use Costa as an example.....He is a fine example of just simply a horrible (in the right kind of way) striker to play against. Slight movement that gave him 2 yards, or simply that aggression on and off the ball that set him apart from the rest.

I think every back in the EPL breathed a sigh of relief when we sold him to AM, lolol

I miss the fuck out of him, he was such a instigator and a brute who just burrowed into centre backs brains like an earwig 

Conte's biggest cock-up

• 8 months later...
21 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Being reported, via the BBC gossip page, that Diego will be leaving Atleti on a free at the eventual end of the season, when he will be 31. My question is would you and, if so, do you think he would?

If Giroud leaves, he would be a decent option for the 3rd CF. The price (free trans) is right.