The Board

I notice that since Petr Čech has been back here the bozo buys have stopped. Hats off to the big man!!

Or is it because Lamps? Lamps says all the time that he wants only players that fits his profile. If nobody good is available, he does not want any players to come.  

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Or is it because Lamps? Lamps says all the time that he wants only player that fits his profile. If nobody good l is available, he does not want any players to come.

I am sure it is partly Lamps, but certainly it helps to have Čech there as well.

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

I notice that since Petr Čech has been back here the bozo buys have stopped. Hats off to the big man!!

Only natural if you have any ambition to further yourself, the amount we pissed away past years is staggering, dregs after dregs after dregs for huge money. As many have said prior, Marina is the top dog here, she decides....I just hope we continue with our current formula cuz it will pay dividens down the road.

I think we decided after sacking Conte to take different approach first with Sarri and now Frank continues...

Emenalo left and transfer ban had part in it.

With integration of academy we do not need anymore to buy squad players outside just top players...

Kepa (we tried for Oblak), Kovacic, Jorginho, Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech... And now we just keep going... Havertz? Rice? Alaba? 

On 06/07/2020 at 4:40 PM, Jason said:

Interesting. The way he says it, it is clear that Granny must have a serious amount of power. When asked the question he almost laughs. 

For me, this kind of confirms what I have always suspected, the scouts/managers/coaches can recommend players but Granny can veto it or go in another direction. For me, the only reason why things look to be changing is due to Cech being in there.

Interesting. The way he says it, it is clear that Granny must have a serious amount of power. When asked the question he almost laughs. 
For me, this kind of confirms what I have always suspected, the scouts/managers/coaches can recommend players but Granny can veto it or go in another direction. For me, the only reason why things look to be changing is due to Cech being in there.

Isn't that obvious? She deals with all the finances. She makes the deals. Of course she can veto it when there is no money to spend or when a player is too expensive and Chelsea has not enough money.

1 minute ago, killer1257 said:

Isn't that obvious? She deals with all the finances. She makes the deals. Of course she can veto it when there is no money to spend or when a player is too expensive and Chelsea has not enough money.

I say it is interesting due to the old Conte v Granny arguments. Chelsea fans seem to be split into two camps, with one group believing Granny carried out Conte's instructions and another which believing Conte didn't get any of his first choice players even though he won the league and to say he was responsible for Summer 17 isn't fair. Comments like this indicate that she does have the power to not do what is recommended by those below her. 

8 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I say it is interesting due to the old Conte v Granny arguments. Chelsea fans seem to be split into two camps, with one group believing Granny carried out Conte's instructions and another which believing Conte didn't get any of his first choice players even though he won the league and to say he was responsible for Summer 17 isn't fair. Comments like this indicate that she does have the power to not do what is recommended by those below her. 

On hindsight, apart from maybe Lukaku, thank god we get what Conte wanted in the second season. 

13 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Bakayoko was definitely a Conte target. However, Conte wanted to keep Matic too in order to ease Bakayoko into the squad but ended up having to accelerate his introduction because the club sold Matic which Conte didn't like. 

For RWB he wanted Oxlade-Chamberlain and the club even agreed a fee with Arsenal but the player decided to go to Liverpool instead, so not much to do there. Getting Zappacosta as plan B was probably Conte's idea, having managed him before at Italy NT.

For the striker spot he wanted Lukaku (which is even more obvious now given he signed him at Inter) but ended up with Morata. Could be one of many reasons behind this 'failure'. Maybe Marina was just penny pinching and thought there was no rush to pay Everton's asking price with no other contenders for the signing before United came out of the blue and finished it in record time. Or maybe Lukaku & Raiola just preferred the contract offer from United. 

Drinkwater was no doubt a board signing and a total fuck up. And the club failed to back Conte with Alex Sandro signing, which was probably because Alonso had played so well in the title winning season at wing-back and the club were reluctant to spend so much money on another wing-back so soon.

58 minutes ago, King Kante said:

It was a mix of the two, yes Conte didn't get his first choice targets but the way people try and act like he had those transfers forced on him in that second season is hilarious, I mean he's actively trying/tried to resign two of those players at Inter for God sake.

In hindsight we should have probably gone our separate ways after the title regardless of the outrage it would have caused in the terraces.

1 hour ago, Jype said:

Bakayoko was definitely a Conte target. However, Conte wanted to keep Matic too in order to ease Bakayoko into the squad but ended up having to accelerate his introduction because the club sold Matic which Conte didn't like. 

For RWB he wanted Oxlade-Chamberlain and the club even agreed a fee with Arsenal but the player decided to go to Liverpool instead, so not much to do there. Getting Zappacosta as plan B was probably Conte's idea, having managed him before at Italy NT.

For the striker spot he wanted Lukaku (which is even more obvious now given he signed him at Inter) but ended up with Morata. Could be one of many reasons behind this 'failure'. Maybe Marina was just penny pinching and thought there was no rush to pay Everton's asking price with no other contenders for the signing before United came out of the blue and finished it in record time. Or maybe Lukaku & Raiola just preferred the contract offer from United. 

Drinkwater was no doubt a board signing and a total fuck up. And the club failed to back Conte with Alex Sandro signing, which was probably because Alonso had played so well in the title winning season at wing-back and the club were reluctant to spend so much money on another wing-back so soon.

We made a couple of offers for Alex Sandro. Juve wanted way to much money in the end. Ox didn't want to play for Conte. Lukaku spent his summer holiday with Pogba back then and they probably made a deal to play together. Naingolan didn't want to leave Italy. Even in January VVD rejected us and City for Liverpool. 

So for all these players no one really to blame. It was just frustrating situation. 

11 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

We made a couple of offers for Alex Sandro. Juve wanted way to much money in the end. Ox didn't want to play for Conte. Lukaku spent his summer holiday with Pogba back then and they probably made a deal to play together. Naingolan didn't want to leave Italy. Even in January VVD rejected us and City for Liverpool. 

So for all these players no one really to blame. It was just frustrating situation. 

Van Dijk and Oxlade-Chamberlain rejected us because of our instability, the fact that we keep on changing managers. The same can't be said about Liverpool. So we paid the price of our constant hiring and firing of managers. Furthermore, I am not sure if Conte even got in contact with Van Dijk to persuade him to join us, like what Lampard did with Ziyech and Werner. 

On 10/07/2020 at 11:42 PM, Jason said:

Van Dijk and Oxlade-Chamberlain rejected us because of our instability, the fact that we keep on changing managers. The same can't be said about Liverpool. So we paid the price of our constant hiring and firing of managers. Furthermore, I am not sure if Conte even got in contact with Van Dijk to persuade him to join us, like what Lampard did with Ziyech and Werner. 

Tbf Chamberlain was wanted by Conte so he could mould him into a wingback, he had been playing there for Arsenal. While he may of gotten to play CM for Liverpool and won a CL and PL I wouldnt be surprised if they do not strengthen in MF again meaning he could be on his bike very shortly. Hes hardly been an outstanding player for Lpool hes done the same at Arsenal, fits and starts then injured most of the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/19/michael-emenalo-the-narrative-that-white-is-good-has-to-change

I do not know where to put that article, so I put it here. Very nice article about Emenalo.
Loved him when he was at Chelsea. He made our youth better and he was the reason why guys like KDB, Lukaku, Salah, Hazard were brought in. Great article

I have a feeling Emenalo's departure had something to do with the transfer ban situation.Him leaving came so out of the blue and it wasn't long after that it was reported the club was being investigated by FIFA for the rule breaches. My theory is that behind the scenes Emenalo took the blame and resigned as a result. Could be wrong though.