John Stones

Sidzeret

How is he limited? What is Terry then? Cahill might not be world class but he is an all round quality defender. He can play, scores the odd goal (some good ones too), reads the game well. I don't see how he is a limited defender? He is no more limited than the majority of CB around. Cahill has so many quality games for us but he is always percieved to be as some sort of average CB when he is not.

He is slow and awful in 1 v 1 situations. Thats a limited defender in todays game. He cant play for a team who wants to play a high line and press high. Terry is the same. To play with one slow CB is maybe ok, but two is too much.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is slow and awful in 1 v 1 situations. Thats a limited defender in todays game. He cant play for a team who wants to play a high line and press high. Terry is the same. To play with one slow CB is maybe ok, but two is too much.

Cahill is not fast but he is not a slouch. I mean for a CB I think he has got decent pace. There are many CB playing for top teams in Europe who are no faster than Cahill. Even AVB complimented Cahill's pace stating that he was a good technical defender with excellent pace. Maybe a bit over-exaggerated but it shows that he thought he was capable of playing in a high line. For instance I think Stones and Cahill would work well if we played with a high line. Both are quite athletic and have a great recovery rate.

There are many defenders who would struggle in playing a high line. Not just Cahill. Koscielny was exposed time and time again on Sunday, yet he is one of the quickest CB around. I don't think under Mourinho we will play with a high line. I differ to most on here but I don't think there are too many top CB around who are more all-rounded than Cahill.

+ one thing about Varane - he's a good defender and people want him but have people actually thought that Real Madrid don't want to sell him and that's why we are having to look elsewhere? Otherwise, who wouldn't jump at the chance to sign him?!

Exactly my point. We aren't the only team in the market for a CB.

i am just spitballing here. but 50mil euros is a LOT OF MONEY. varane and jose have a good relationship. if we want a good defender, then we should be over paying for someone like that!!!! not for someone who in all honesty is barely any better than the 3 we currently have. scratch that, put iva in too. barely any better than the 4 currently we have.

hummels and luiz? just cos both are ball playing defenders? hummels is actually a great defender who along with defending has other good qualities. luiz is just LOL. concetration issues, defending issues, you name it, he has got it.

How many times have you watched Hummels? He's well known for his defensive mistakes and concentration issues as well...

Wouldn't go quite that far :lol:

Why not? Hummels has poor level of concentration, makes tons of mistakes, doesn't show much leadership qualities etc but for some reason, he's billed as a top class defender.

Why not? Hummels has poor level of concentration, makes tons of mistakes, doesn't show much leadership qualities etc but for some reason, people can't see that.

David Luiz is an absolute clown on the pitch at times. He does things that make you question whether he he's mentally challenged or not. Is Hummels like that? I don't really watch him enough to have an opinion, but surely he can't be as bad as Luiz and be respected and admired the way he is generally.

hummels is overrated i hope man utd buy him

Owen Hargreaves recently said that United should stay well clear of him.

"He's a super, super ball-playing centre-back but I don't think he can defend, he's too slow," he told BT Sport.

"He's Franz Beckenbauer, the new version, a super passer but I think that if I'm Manchester United I want [Nemanja] Vidic, I want [Vincent] Kompany.

"I think he's a nice football player, he's easy on the eye, but United need somebody physical, a presence.

"He's the captain of Borussia Dortmund, they're last in the Bundesliga. Is that the measuring stick for Manchester United? I'm not so sure."

David Luiz is an absolute clown on the pitch at times. He does things that make you question whether he he's mentally challenged or not. Is Hummels like that? I don't really watch him enough to have an opinion, but surely he can't be as bad as Luiz and be respected and admired the way he is generally.

Doesn't matter. Both still make plenty of errors for a supposed 'world class' defender. The only difference, if anything, is Hummels doesn't make mistakes while looking like a clown at the same time. And perhaps because of Luiz's outgoing personality, anything he does gets more attention than Hummels.

He really is, just exactly like that. Concentration is very poor, he's very slow and has done some questionable things.

People don't really watch the Bundesliga so they don't see it often but he really is the same type of player Luiz is.

Doesn't matter. Both still make plenty of errors for a supposed 'world class' defender. The only difference, if anything, is Hummels doesn't make mistakes while looking like a clown at the same time. And perhaps because of Luiz's outgoing personality, anything he does gets more attention than Hummels.

He really is, just exactly like that. Concentration is very poor, he's very slow and has done some questionable things.

People don't really watch the Bundesliga so they don't see it often but he really is the same type of player Luiz is.

Well alrighty then. Fair enough.

People forgetting the two years Dortmund won the league, Hummels was top class and by far the best CB in Germany. In fact I'm sure people who are now describing him as whatever probably would've welcomed him here with open arms.

He is nowhere near Luiz in terms of stupidity and mistakes. Luiz has made numerous errors throughout the last 5 or 6 years of his career. Everyone makes mistakes, not like Hummels has played as bad as Luiz did v Germany or against Napoli under AVB or even against Barca in the CL last season? I've never seen a more naive central defender than Luiz in my life to be honest.

.... but anyway John Stones against Watford, I rewatched some of the game, composed on the ball, always looking to play but very poor for the Ighalo goal, the guy absolutely done him with a feint thing and that backs my point he's not a 34M CB, I think any top center back would stay on their feet while closing the striker down faster... he could of cost Everton 3 points for a pretty rookie mistake. At times he looks like he might give up possession in vital areas of the pitch for his team, he needs to watch that sometimes, its all good playing out from the back but he sometimes overdoes it.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You