John Stones

Sidzeret

I seen Denayer play regularly for Celtic last year and despite winning the young player of the season award thing, which anyone who played for Celtic in that age bracket would normally win, he didn't impress me one bit.

Even his distribution at Celtic at times was shocking, he gave the ball away a lot and his reading of the game isn't there as such, he relies on his pace to get back in to position far too much for a center back. John Stones, as much as I don't rate him as highly as others, is easily a better player and from what I have seen is better on the ball. Although he did score 5 or 6 goals for Celtic last year, which is always decent to have in a defender but still not that impressive.

Celtic tried to play openly, with the ball a lot last season and Virgil van Dijk was really the standout CB there, Denayer was being carried at times, especially the start but eventually found his feet and played at such a level but hes not that impressive, anyone could really of played next to van Dijk at Celtic and done just as well if not better like previously under Neil Lennon... if he is Belgiums next big hope in defense (or even Citys) then I feel for Belgium (don't feel for City). To go from a Kompany, Alderweireld or Vertonghen to a Denayer is bad.

he was 19 years old last year, he will get better.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Addressing his centre half partner's current predicament, Everton's current club captain Phil Jagielka told the Liverpool Echo: 'It is not an easy scenario, it is difficult for John.'

'He is dealing with it really well. It is nice when people want you and all sorts, but it is a bit mind boggling when all sorts of numbers are thrown in the papers.

'It is strange the way the transfer window is open while the season starts.

'For me it should be shut in the first week of August and then everyone has their squad for the season.'

Jagielka added: 'I have told him just keep doing what he does because there is a reason why people want to sign you.

'It is a little bit of test for him now.'

There would be a meltdown if Cahill had done what he done for the last goal but tbh watching MOTD and seeing reviews about him, he had a very solid game. Was very composed with the ball, won a lot of tussles and is definitely going to be one of the top ball playing CB around as he gets older. His passing range was excellent too and loves to play his way out of tight situations.

i remember GC having solid games, making half a mistake and been castrated for it.

at the end of the day, stones is quite far off GC at the moment. 34mil for bench currently when we so direly need a CM and especially a left footed left back.

i remember GC having solid games, making half a mistake and been castrated for it.

at the end of the day, stones is quite far off GC at the moment. 34mil for bench currently when we so direly need a CM and especially a left footed left back.

Definitely. I mean you just know there are some fans waiting for Cahill to make a slip up this season so that is there cue to say we need to replace him. I was reading the John Terry thread and seen that were a few people who believed John Terry was not being given the respect he deserves. I feel the exact way about Cahill. This is a player who has won all 4 trophies with us and has played an instrumental part in us winning it. While Terry was standout last season it is so disrespectful when you get fans who don't give Cahill any credit. He is a top defender. He is prone to the odd mistake like all top CB. Just look at Koscileny yesterday. Probably his worst ever performance. Does that make him a defender that needs replacing? No it does not.

John Terry himself knows how key Cahill is in our team as he alluded to him as the best CB in England. Then you get people like Murphy who say Stones will take Cahill's place. Stones has got potential but I have no idea why people think he is automatically going to take Cahill's place. He eventually will be a top CB but talk about replacing one half of the top CB last season in the PL is unfair.

But yeah, while it will be nice to have Stones as in the future he will become one of the top CB around, we need to strengthen other areas of the team as we are lacking in squad depth.

After seeing and being reminded what a liability Ivanovic+Cahill are on this team, im a bit less concerned about the high prices of Baba and Stones, just want Ivan and Cahill off our XI as soon as possible.

We have Zouma though, and i still think paying 48m euros on stones is a joke. While Ivanovic will continue to start for a while, at the very least. But, i guess Baba and Stones will create more competition and options to rotate, so things might change more quickly.

CMBy4BVUYAUOn6I.jpg

Don't know why another 34m would be a problem here. Would be kicking myself if we lost him to United in January if we let him be at Everton this window.

I am happy to spend that money but there are surely other priorities. Mourinho's preferred CB pairing will still be Terry and Cahill. The thing that concerns others is that we are being way too slow in the transfer market. If Azpi got sent off on Saturday the urgency for Rahman is even greater and due to the desparation they would know they could of potentially try to rip us off as we needed a back up LB. We don't have a left footed LB in our team right now, it is crazy. No point giving me Ake because he is going out on loan and don't want people to hear Traore is a LB.

Then as we know, Fabregas has struggled with injuries in the past. Iif he gets injured now, what one creative CM do we have. I am fine with getting Stones for big money but for me there are other areas of the squad we need to strengthen.

I am happy to spend that money but there are surely other priorities. Mourinho's preferred CB pairing will still be Terry and Cahill. The thing that concerns others is that we are being way too slow in the transfer market. If Azpi got sent off on Saturday the urgency for Rahman is even greater and due to the desparation they would know they could of potentially try to rip us off as we needed a back up LB. We don't have a left footed LB in our team right now, it is crazy. No point giving me Ake because he is going out on loan and don't want people to hear Traore is a LB.

Then as we know, Fabregas has struggled with injuries in the past. Iif he gets injured now, what one creative CM do we have. I am fine with getting Stones for big money but for me there are other areas of the squad we need to strengthen.

Same applies to the RB situation as well. If Ivanovic is injured/suspended we have the same problem ( don't see Cuadrado staring as a RB or Zouma even) Our top priority rn is to get Stones and Rahman/another LB

Same applies to the RB situation as well. If Ivanovic is injured/suspended we have the same problem ( don't see Cuadrado staring as a RB or Zouma even) Our top priority rn is to get Stones and Rahman/another LB

We are not going to buy another RB though as Azpi can play there but we don't currently have a first team back up for LB. We do for RB which is why we desperately need another LB.

We are not going to buy another RB though as Azpi can play there but we don't currently have a first team back up for LB. We do for RB which is why we desperately need another LB.

I was saying that Stones can play RB as well. So we don't have to play Azpi RB and have someone else play LB. We need both Stones and Rahman this season for our title defense

Chelsea raise John Stones bid to £30m in third attempt to persuade Everton to sell

Everton appear to be holding out for 34m but we are taking the piss by refusing to pay that extra few million. :doh:

Fucking hell. It's well and truly like we've bought Arsenal's negotiators!

If we're willing to spend 30m on him just go up a few million and seal it! We risk pissing Everton off EVEN MORE with bids that they won't accept.

Considering that Sky et al are pummelling millions in TV money into each club this time next year, we really, really can afford to go and splash the cash a little.

We better do.. and I really hope Mourinho sees the 2-2 draw with Swansea as a wake-up call, making him think "oh yeah, maybe I should go out and sign someone", because all the other teams around us have upgraded.

Even the smaller teams have, clubs have better players, teams like Swansea have gotten stronger by investing, as we've already witnessed!

Only problem, is that teams like Everton and Augsberg demand too much money for players like Stones (keeping under topic) and Rahman respectively.. suddenly Jose turns around and says, "oh yeah uhh, we don't need to sign anyone, we've already got a good squad".

That's what worries me! Our team won the league last season, but in terms of squad depth, we don't offer anything new! Teams around us have bought and improved while we've just stood there and watched!

How do you know what his preferred pairing will be? Absolutely no way of telling. Especially with the status quo looking vulnerable against certain players.

How do you know what his preferred pairing will be? Absolutely no way of telling. Especially with the status quo looking vulnerable against certain players.

If Chelsea want to play a high line like they did on Saturday, you can't have a back four consisting of Brana, Cahill and Terry... Its just suicide. I would imagine the acquisition of Stones would put one of Brana or Cahill under direct threat.

Zouma is not a ball player so you can't have him next to terry, he is Terry's long term replacement.

I should have said probably. My bad. But, because this was a defence that kept so many clean sheets and is Mourinho's regularly trusted back 4 you would think unless there is consistent mistakes, week in week out that would be the preferred back 4. It was the same last season. We conceded quite a few first then after the next few months, they got their act together and kept loads of clean sheets.

Would anyone be surprised if it's not necessarily always Cahill who makes way in some games if Stones is brought in? I could see Terry being rested and a Stones/Cahill partnership against more mobile and athletic sides.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You