John Stones

Sidzeret

Chelsea remain very interested in signing John Stones and will make a fresh attempt to land him from Everton this summer, while a possible bid to bring Romelu Lukaku back to Stamford Bridge is being actively considered, sources have told ESPN FC.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think we've almost certainly lost the chance we had of signing him. Don't think there's any way he'll be able to say no when Mourinho personally calls him and asks him to come to United. He'll get to stay in the north which is apparently a thing he'd prefer, he'll get to play under Mourinho at the biggest club in the country, and he'll be playing with 3/4ths of the future England back 4.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Think we've almost certainly lost the chance we had of signing him. Don't think there's any way he'll be able to say no when Mourinho personally calls him and asks him to come to United. He'll get to stay in the north which is apparently a thing he'd prefer, he'll get to play under Mourinho at the biggest club in the country, and he'll be playing with 3/4ths of the future England back 4.

Maybe I've missed it, but right now Louis Van Gaals is the acting manager of United, not Mourinho. Also, some reports are stating that Mourinho won't be managing United next season.

25 minutes ago, Yeboii said:

Maybe I've missed it, but right now Louis Van Gaals is the acting manager of United, not Mourinho. Also, some reports are stating that Mourinho won't be managing United next season.

Let's be real, their fans would riot if they keep Van Gaal around after this season. Mou is nailed on to be their next manager. 

13 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Let's be real, their fans would riot if they keep Van Gaal around after this season. Mou is nailed on to be their next manager. 

I wouldn't be so sure. For sure there are other managers the fans would like. I've heard many want Giggs to take over. I know how absurd that is, and he would probably fail, but this is what some want instead of José.

Wouldn't blame Stones for choosing either between Chelsea and United. Both in need of his services and can offer him the right terms. If United somehow clinch fourth we're going to have our backs against the wall and will only succeed on money alone lol. We lost out with Shaw, Mourinho explicitly stated he was too expensive, let's not do the same with Stones.

It would be surprising if Conte's plan would be a Stones-Zouma partnership to lead the line. I wouldn't expect it, with Zouma's comeback condition being anyone's guess. Even if Terry isn't re-signed then someone with experience has to come in to lead the way for a Stones-Zouma partnership (and/or Christensen trio in 2017). 

Poor form does not make him average.

He has plenty of technique and pace, fantastic prospect even if a bit pricey. He is similar to Marcelo, but I'd rate Stones higher as he's taller and stronger.

If available, should def get him.

This is news to me first I've heard that we nearly bought Stones from Barnsley. Has a whiff of bullshit about it it's from The Guardian

Although the intention is for younger players to be offered a platform to succeed when Antonio Conte takes up the reins as the first-team head coach at Stamford Bridge after Euro 2016, the overhaul of senior playing staff will prompt another move for Stones. The 21-year-old was close to joining Chelsea from Barnsley in January 2013, when he opted instead to move to Everton for £3m, and was the subject of three failed bids last summer.

13 hours ago, Pizy said:

If Mourinho takes over United then I'd guess he would be much more interested in signing someone like Hummels than Stones. We don't even know if Stones was chased from Mourinho orders or not. Knowing Jose, he would probably much rather bring 32yo Lucio than young CB.

16 minutes ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

If Mourinho takes over United then I'd guess he would be much more interested in signing someone like Hummels than Stones. We don't even know if Stones was chased from Mourinho orders or not. Knowing Jose, he would probably much rather bring 32yo Lucio than young CB.

I think it was pretty clear that he wanted him. He seemed pretty annoyed at Martinez and Everton when they kept rejecting our bids.

You're right that an experienced, proven CB would make more sense for them but I think José and his ego would relish the opportunity to take credit for "fixing" Stones and making him the next great England CB. With Stones, Smalling, and Shaw you'd have your back line sorted for the next 10 years or more and have the bonus of them all being English.

5 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I think it was pretty clear that he wanted him. He seemed pretty annoyed at Martinez and Everton when they kept rejecting our bids.

You're right that an experienced, proven CB would make more sense for them but I think José and his ego would relish the opportunity to take credit for "fixing" Stones and making him the next great England CB. With Stones, Smalling, and Shaw you'd have your back line sorted for the next 10 years or more and have the bonus of them all being English.

Jose will finally do something good for us in that scenario. Hopefully stones goes to united for 50 odd million or whatever crazy crapping shit amount everton puts on the table. Meanwhile we can buy some actually good CBs and/or recall Andreas.

I'd still have him here, under a top coach he will become superb. I still say to this point his head is caved in after what happened with us going for him. He's give up on Everton for me, and whether it's us or another club the lad is going to be a really top quality player.

Martinez and Everton can't make him that.

If we cant recall Christensen this summer I'd try and make this happen.

Stones, Zouma and Christensen if they all reach their potential could be close to JT, Carvalho and Gallas.

Problem is with targeting Stones is who is going to play beside him in defense? It made perfect sense when we were after him last summer because we all had hoped learning under Mou and beside JT every day for a season or two would be hugely beneficial. If he came here now he'd what, start the season partnering Cahill? Having Baba next to him who's awful defensively? That could be as shambolic as Everton's defense. Or ours this season.

Even if Zouma were fully fit and ready on match day 1 I'm not sure having two inexperienced and tactically naive CB's is too wise. Neither have so far shown that they're the JT style general and organizer but rather need that sort next to them to bring their best out.

I wouldn't complain if we signed him of course and I've been one of his biggest advocates, but I think it would be more wise to target an experienced, still somewhat young, and top class CB like Bonucci or Hummels. We've displayed as a club that we're willing to spend an enormous fee on a top CB by bidding £35-40m for Stones last summer. Surely that sort of money will sign one of those two? Convincing them to come is another thing, mind.

Sign JT for another year and flood the kid with training with JT and you will have a diamond. Don't under estimate the influence that JT can have on not just Stones but all new players about passion and pride for the club.

JT has one year left in him but with a sporadic showing, with Zouma playing the key role. I would be delighted with Zouma and Stones as possible future of CB partnership. 

2 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Sign JT for another year and flood the kid with training with JT and you will have a diamond. Don't under estimate the influence that JT can have on not just Stones but all new players about passion and pride for the club.

JT has one year left in him but with a sporadic showing, with Zouma playing the key role. I would be delighted with Zouma and Stones as possible future of CB partnership. 

If we're playing 4 at the back then sure. I just cannot see JT in a back 3 playing a high line. It's also imperative that we get Nainggolan and another new CM to protect them.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You