John Stones

Sidzeret

7 hours ago, Term-X said:

Well, he was playing at right back tonight.. so probably best to hold off the knee-jerk.

On top of that, he's only 21 years old. He was always going to make mistakes and he's still young. There's room and time for improvement. We've already seen he's got potential to be great and I think it would help him if he actually has a manager who knows how to drill the defensive mindset into him (and the entire team really). But unfortunately, he and Everton have a manager who doesn't care much about defending.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

He is a new David luiz, ball playing CB that can't defend.

+1 ... very prone to make mistakes he shouldn't have even though he is very young. People are forgetting that passing and ball control aren't his prime duties as center back, his overall defending and physical attributes are. One more overrated english player IMO :) 

He is good but 30m +? Lol 

If he wasnt english I would never bring him in for that money. For all the ball control and passing he has, a CB should first be good defender and no nonsense when in possession.

But we realy need more english players so...

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

I wonder, if Stones wasn't English, would people say he's overrated?

The more appropriate question is if he was older he would be so highly rated ?

I often use this against Pogba. If he was Vidal/Marchisio age no chance he would be so appreciated like he is today. But because he is young people and quite good today people think that he will be awesome good in future.

30 minutes ago, Kieran. said:

I wonder, if Stones wasn't English, would we be bidding 40m for him?

Probably not but then again, he would probably have some sort ridiculous release clause in his contract, which would amount to a big fee as well. The point here, anyway, is more about people questioning his quality as opposed to his fee.

Still desperately want him at Chelsea in the summer and will be totally gutted if he ends up with Mourinho at United.

He clearly needs work and that needs to come under the tutelage of a top coach and surrounded by top players. That deluded, whiny cunt Roberto Martinez is a fraud and doesn't have a clue how to coach defense. 

We get a top coach (Simeone, Pochettino) and keep JT around for another season or two to mentor him and we'd have a world class player for a decade. I really hope that just because José is gone we've ended our interest. He should be priority #1 still after a manager.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Probably not but then again, he would probably have some sort ridiculous release clause in his contract, which would amount to a big fee as well. The point here, anyway, is more about people questioning his quality as opposed to his fee.

He is not quality worth 40m. Come on.

I would take him for lets say 20m. He is playing regular football in PL, realy young and has good potential. On top english who we need most right now.

But for 40m? Hell no he makes too many mistakes for that fee. Regardless of age. If you value a CB 40m he better be damn good CB or at least have some serious potential. I mean every CB makes mistakes but Stones style of play only means he will make mistakes alot more than someone like Zouma who just kicks the ball away. 

Also Stones is so highly rated because of his ability on ball. While its good for CB to have good ball control nowdays, he is still a CB. Meanwhile he is only good in defence (partly because of style he plays which is more prone to mistakes). But is that worth 40m? 

I mean the fact that one would pay 40m for CB based on his ball skills and not primary role which is defending is absurd. Why not just stick a CM there then...

Bottom line if I pay 40 fucking mio on someone who will regulary lose the ball becsuse he likes to play with it that will result in our team conceding Ill be furious. 

The only reason I want Stones here is because he is english. For that price you have triple the quality young CBs like Gimenez or Laporte. And to get a CB who can defend like Stones does; well we already had Luiz who we sold. 

Im just curious what will people say about Stones if he ends up like Luiz here. Making mistake after mistake. Ball playing CB is useless if he fucks up his main role which is tp defend.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

He is not quality worth 40m. Come on.

Where I have said Stones is worth 40m?

But for 40m? Hell no he makes too many mistakes for that fee. Regardless of age. If you value a CB 40m he better be damn good CB or at least have some serious potential. I mean every CB makes mistakes but Stones style of play only means he will make mistakes alot more than someone like Zouma who just kicks the ball away. 

I think people are putting too much thought into the 40m price that is quoted. Sure, it is a lot and it is ridiculous but part of the reason why the price is so high is because of the long term contract he has with Everton. If he only has 1-2 years left on it, the price wouldn't be so high.

I mean the fact that one would pay 40m for CB based on his ball skills and not primary role which is defending is absurd. Why not just stick a CM there then...

Bottom line if I pay 40 fucking mio on someone who will regulary lose the ball becsuse he likes to play with it that will result in our team conceding Ill be furious. 

The only reason I want Stones here is because he is english. For that price you have triple the quality young CBs like Gimenez or Laporte. And to get a CB who can defend like Stones does; well we already had Luiz who we sold. 

I don't deny that Stones has been making lots of defensive mistakes and has been taking the piss with the overplaying from the back of late but people really forget that he is only 21 years old, he's still very young, meaning there's still plenty of time to improve his game and change his game. It probably doesn't help his cause when Everton have a manager who doesn't give much thought on the defensive side of the game. You don't have to make it sound as though Stones is already a lost cause and is just another Luiz.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You