Nemanja Matic

.Cee

4 hours ago, TheWiz said:

You're right, guess that's exactly why Matic was their outstanding Player yesterday ...

The only man utd player that impressed me yesterday was rashford, he missed a chance and some free kicks but he's 19 playing RM didn't look out of place at all.

Matic exit forced - Lampard

07:00: Frank Lampard was aware Nemanja Matic wanted to leave Chelsea as early as the latter stages of last season.

“I was surprised to see him move to United and maybe there is more to this deal that we realise,” Lampard told Yahoo Sport.

“I heard whispers at the back end of last season that he wanted to go and even if the club cannot come out and say too much about that, maybe there was an element of that in play here when this deal went through.

“You get the feeling that Chelsea didn’t really want Matic to go, but players can push for a move at times and that is why this deal feels different compared to Petr Cech’s move from Chelsea to Arsenal a couple of years back.

“Petr had done such a lot for the club, Thibaut Courtois had come in and it would have been harsh to stop him moving to Arsenal when he was so settled in London, but this is different.

“Matic was a big player for Chelsea last season and, even though they have signed players to replace him, he is going to be missed. And possibly just as significantly, he strengthens Manchester United, there is no doubt about that.”

You mentioned Bakayoko there. He’s obviously been brought in as a replacement for Matic, it would seem. What did you make of Matic’s move to Manchester United?

I think Matic [himself] personally maybe wanted to move on. You respect that if that is the case. It’s just strange that he’s gone to a competitor. He’s going to strengthen Manchester United. You saw that in the Uefa Super Cup game – he’ll fit very well in there.

He did that job for Chelsea with great tactical discipline. He’s very good at winning the ball back and moving the ball very well. It’s quite strange but Chelsea have always been thinking forward. They’ve been doing that for years by buying younger players and trying to improve them, and I think Bakayoko, if he keeps improving, he is going to be a serious signing.

The Portuguese manager revealed why Nemanja Matic had been bought from Chelsea so late in the transfer window: "I did not believe Chelsea would give up on Matic, I thought they would be crazy if they gave up and so we did not make an official offer until late in the summer. The day he called me and said he wanted to play for me and that could happen, we acted quickly. "

Said it and will repeat it again. Big clubs don't sell players to rivals. Even Arsenal don't do that anymore. I am really wondering if our board expectation from Conte is to win titles then. We cannot compete to Man Utd and Man City. We are nowhere near in terms of quality. It's really shocking. I can really see us regressing and becoming like Liverpool. Sad days ahead I am afraid.

Early days but was brilliant today. Dominated that game, was the catalyst for the first goal, winning the ball back and just had that powerful and dominant swagger about him. Still don't understand what the board were thinking. Absolute madness. They really look the part and hey guess who helped them out? ... :doh:

6 minutes ago, Stats said:

Early days but was brilliant today. Dominated that game, was the catalyst for the first goal, winning the ball back and just had that powerful and dominant swagger about him. Still don't understand what the board were thinking. Absolute madness. They really look the part and hey guess who helped them out? ... :doh:

The money was too good to turn down for the club. I think I even read Conte saying the same.

Letting Matic go would not have been a problem if a quality replacement(s) was brought in. That's the problem.

I think people are overreacting. He was always a good player and I remember most people were fine with selling him to United for the quoted price. The real problem was not securing a replacement after his departure and Chalobah's. Now after watching the game with west ham I can't help but think they gave him too much time on the ball. I remember teams pressing him a lot and causing him to lose the ball quite often. You can't allow a player with his passing ability so much time to pick up a pass. He's always the first player to play the ball forward from the defense. It's only a matter of time before teams start picking up on that and target him. His stamina will also prove to be an issue for them as the season goes. Right now he's looking very fresh.

7 minutes ago, DYC. said:

The money was too good to turn down for the club. I think I even read Conte saying the same.

Letting Matic go would not have been a problem if a quality replacement(s) was brought in. That's the problem.

It was a very good offer but no point in referring it as too good a offer to turn down when we aren't doing anything with the money and the only players we seem to be linked with are average or decent at best. The only thing I have seen Conte say is that "Matic is a big loss". I haven't see anything where he has approved of the transfer at all. Clearly taken out of his hands and if it was his way, Matic would still be here.

12 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Conte said the idea was to ease Bakayoko in with Matic still playing regularly. No chance would he have agreed to sell a player who was an ever present in our team last season to a rival.

This was all the board thinking they're  pulling one over on United and "milking" them for what they consider a huge fee. In reality, we've sold them a very good player, in the exact area of their team they had a hole, and for an amount of money that's completely insignificant to them. At the same time, his supposed replacement won't be fit and up to speed for a while and that money we banked from Matic's sale is gathering dust in the vault.

Brilliant business for from the club. 👍🏼

Would've been a different story if he was sold early in the window and another midfielder of his quality was lined up and signed immedietly afterwards or even before we agreed to sell him. 

6 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Just give it till December and the real Matic will show up. Remember, his stamina level across a full season is terrible.

They have another quality midfielder in Herrera if that happens.