Nemanja Matic

.Cee

6 minutes ago, Stats said:

It was a very good offer but no point in referring it as too good a offer to turn down when we aren't doing anything with the money and the only players we seem to be linked with are average or decent at best. The only thing I have seen Conte say is that "Matic is a big loss". I haven't see anything where he has approved of the transfer at all. Clearly taken out of his hands and if it was his way, Matic would still be here.

4 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Conte said the idea was to ease Bakayoko in with Matic still playing regularly. No chance would he have agreed to sell a player who was an ever present in our team last season to a rival.

This was all the board thinking they're  pulling one over on United and "milking" them for what they consider a huge fee. In reality, we've sold them a very good player, in the exact area of their team they had a hole, and for an amount of money that's completely insignificant to them. At the same time, his supposed replacement won't be fit and up to speed for a while and that money we banked from Matic's sale is gathering dust in the vault.

Brilliant business for from the club. 👍🏼

Would've been a different story if he was sold early in the window and another midfielder of his quality was lined up and signed immedietly afterwards or even before we agreed to sell him. 

What? Where in my post does it say Conte agreed to or approved the sale. I said the club sold him.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Let's assume this is true for a moment. What makes a starter of the champions all of a sudden decide to join a rival? Either someone told Matic he wouldn't be playing as much or he was offered a significant pay rise.

Or maybe Nemanja's a cold, calculating individual who expected Utd to surpass Chelsea.

Someone (not gonna blame Emanalo specifically like so many others do) at our club probably thought to themselves "can you believe they're offering us £40m for this average player?!" and then bit their hand off. Like so many of our supporters were saying.

1 minute ago, DYC. said:

Let's assume this is true for a moment. What makes a starter of the champions all of a sudden decide to join a rival? Either someone told Matic he wouldn't be playing as much or he was offered a significant pay rise.

Or maybe Nemanja's a cold, calculating individual who expected Utd to surpass Chelsea.

Or most likely, Mourinho was in Matic's ear the second we signed Bakayoko and convinced him to push for the move.

Just now, DYC. said:

Maybe he felt things have gone stale for him and he wanted a change of scenery?

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Or most likely, Mourinho was in Matic's ear the second we signed Bakayoko and convinced him to push for the move.

Hmmm... athletes are natural competitors. I have trouble believing a seasoned pro like Matic didn't think he could keep a young nobody like Bakayoko (let's be honest, he's a nobody at top level) on the bench.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Maybe he felt things have gone stale for him and he wanted a change of scenery?

So you move up north? A true change indeed, Jason. Most would consider that move a downgrade in terms of scenery.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

:lol: If 'scenery' is not the right word, then how about 'challenge'?

Well, if players truly experience such feelings to move yet remain in the same league, I hope Pogba will want to join Chelsea in one or two years.

6 minutes ago, DYC. said:

Hmmm... athletes are natural competitors. I have trouble believing a seasoned pro like Matic didn't think he could keep a young nobody like Bakayoko (let's be honest, he's a nobody at top level) on the bench.

So you move up north? A true change indeed, Jason. Most would consider that move a downgrade in terms of scenery.

No, he probably felt disrespected by the club for immedietly going out and signing his eventual replacement. Meanwhile, Mou was in his ear bigging him up and telling him "you're just what we need" and that he'd be a key player there.

He doesn't seem the type that would kick up a huge fuss if we had told him he had to stay. We could've kept him for 2 more years at which time he'd be 32 and Bakayoko will be completely established. 

26 minutes ago, DYC. said:

What? Where in my post does it say Conte agreed to or approved the sale. I said the club sold him.

You mentioned Conte agreeing the offer was too good to turn down so I said that Conte from what I have seen as refuted the sale and clearly not happy with the sale, espec to a rival.

I agree with Polo7. Also flat track bullying was never the problem with Matic as we saw the last three seasons and today. He always does well when the other team doesn't commit many players forward. But as soon as the opposition has decent midfielders who pass the ball around he is chasing shadows all day long and he simply doesn't possess the stamina and physicality to do anything about it.

3 minutes ago, Polo7 said:

People getting carried away, surprise surprise. Matic can not and will not keep up these performances all season. We have seen it first hand for 3 seasons. 

Why won't he? His sole responsibility is to sit deep just in front of the defense, shield them, and mop up any loose balls. To free up Pogba/Mata/Mkhitaryan to create just like they did today. Mou knows not to put him in situations where he'll get exposed badly like he has the past couple of seasons. When he needs someone more mobile and with more to his game he'll have Herrera.

I predict Matic will be together with Kante and Pogba the best 3 CM's in the league come seasons end.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

Why won't he? His sole responsibility is to sit deep just in front of the defense, shield them, and mop up any loose balls. To free up Pogba/Mata/Mkhitaryan to create just like they did today. Mou knows not to put him in situations where he'll get exposed badly like he has the past couple of seasons. When he needs someone more mobile and with more to his game he'll have Herrera.

I predict Matic will be together with Kante and Pogba the best 3 CM's in the league come seasons end.

That was his responsibility here too. He didnt have many performances like today did he? Its a new team, he is trying extra hard to impress. Plus West ham were woeful.

No that arsed about looking at the Lukaku thread, he's a striker, we knew he'd score goals but I think (?) most of us wanted a better link up striker. After seeing Morata yesterday I can't wait to see a full strength team however that would of included Matic or in the squad at least.

Watched the game today and he was brilliant.