Chelsea 4-2 Reading

BlueLion.

What troubles me is how we put our foot off the paddle when we're winning, we did that against Wigan and weren't that good in the second half. Again today, we allowed them to come at us after Lampards penalty and we got punished for it. Against bigger teams and tougher opposition, it could be disastrous.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to sort out the 4 2 3 1. Those 2 will cost us this season. Mikel does good in intercepting, but sometimes we do not need to intercept, we need to pick a forward pass QUICKLY. Lamps is slow. He does good in making a pass, but with Mikel around, its a disastor.

3 points in the bag.

Reading played well but I honestly thought we deserved to win. It was a bit like the Wigan game last season where we won 2-1, except that day Wigan played better than Reading and that day Wigan deserved to win. I'm not taking anything away from Reading they did well but I thought Brian McDermott's tactics let him down second half, second half Reading were far too open at times and that's one of the reasons we went on to win the game. Second half, Reading's shape at times was all over the place and they failed to get enough men behind the ball.

Hazard was class, he still needs to work on a few things but everything has came through him so far this season. 5 assists already, bloody hell. Still a long way to go, I don't want to get too carried away with him, it will be interesting to see how he does against better opposition but so far the signs are good. He gets fouled all the time as well, it's definitely not surprising he was the most fouled in France. He looks to have the beating of the defender all the time. Two games, two MOTM performances, hopefully he can keep it up.

After Hazard, Sturridge impressed me the most, changed the game when he came on. This wasn't Ramires' type of game, we needed someone on the right who could go past defenders and Sturridge did that. Ramires should have came off at half time, on the right Ramires is better suited in the big games, or when we're relying more on the counter in away games. This game was crying out for Sturridge and I'm glad he impressed when he came on. Sturridge is also one of the reasons I don't want Moses.

Lampard was poor by his standards, surprisingly sloppy in possession and his passing which is normally very important to our attacking play wasn't there today. I also think defensively Ivanovic has been poor recently, too many times a player has gone pass him or got their cross in too easily. Ivanovic attacking wise, can't complain though, 5 goals in 8 games or something. laugh.png Defending is more important though.

Good win in the end, I think we will struggle on Saturday against Newcastle though.

Got back from the game about an hour ago, and what a good game it was. First and foremost, credit to Reading, they were fantastic for the majority of the game and really caused us some problems at the back. If they play like that for the rest of the season they'll stay up no doubt. As for Chelsea, there's only one place you can start and that's the performance of Eden Hazard. He was outstanding, even better than last weekend at Wigan. Every time he got the ball we were on our feet, haven't had much of that since the Duff and Robben days.

The whole team performance wasn't great but the win was the most important thing. At the back we still look a little shaky, Reading often exploited our lack of mobility in the middle of the park. I didn't think we were fluid as an attacking threat until Sturridge came on. He did have that one moment where the fans went absolutely crazy at him when he decided to shoot rather than pass, but other than that he was good. It still begs the question if Ramires long term future lies on the wings or if he will be shifted to another position.

Overall, delighted with the win and with Hazard's performance. All the talk was about him on the way out. We've been missing a player like him for years and I'm so glad we got him (thanks Didier). We will need to improve for Newcastle at the weekend however.

My thoughts on tonight:

1. Firstly this is the worst time to be playing a newly promoted team. The first few games of the season allow such teams to play with freedom and a 'nothing to lose' mentality because it is so early in the season. Once the league gets into 15-20 games and starts to take shape, these teams become more cagey, become a little deflated and are generally easier to get a result off.
  2. The first goal was an excellent header. The ball was worked too easily out wide, but once that happened it was difficult to defend. The second was just a fuck up from Cech. It doesn't happen often, he just completely mistimed the ball. Let us not forget his heroics that won us the FA Cup and Champions League last season.
  3. For those that were critical of RDM's tactics last season, and again against Wigan, we had 72% possession and 27 shots tonight, and looked much more comfortable and dominant when on the ball. Passing seemed crisper and movement more fluid. Even Mikel and Lampard seemed to 'zip' the ball around quicker, seemingly bouyed by the talent around them. It is easy to argue 'it was only Reading!' but it is a solid base to progress from.
  4. Despite going 2-1 down and having a real awful 20-30 minutes either side of half time, we always looked capable of winning the game. I've always felt when a goal or two down that we have a chance of getting back in the game due to the spirit and personality at the club, but we don't always look it. Man Utd, Arsenal and more recently Man City have looked like turning round deficits in the past due to the way they attack. Finally we look to be heading that way and it's a great relief. We will always find games where we fall behind, but with the attacking talent at our disposal - Players who can dribble, players who can pass, players who can run in behind, players who can shoot from sight; I feel much more confident about our chances this season.
  5. I can understand the comments of people like Kojo in recent months about the lack of pace in our pivot. This I think could be our one worry, for how good Mikel and Lampard are as football players, against better attacking teams and cleverer midfielders we may struggle. It will be interesting to see how we cope against Newcastle on Saturday. If Essien is still struggling to replicate any sense of previous form, and Robbie is reluctant to use Ramires centrally, then a more mobile and solid midfielder is a must. If this means letting Meireles or Essien move on, or Romeu on loan then so be it.
  6. Disregarding the fact that Torres' goal was offside, the build up to that goal was unbelievable. Quick, incisive one touch passing and movement. Such a goal fills me with confidence that we will find it much easier to break down stubborn defences this season.
  7. Eden Hazard take a bow son. He has added an 'X Factor' to our game which has been missing the last few seasons, and if we are going to see a shift of style then he will be the catalyst, The talk of his ego by the media I think was also embarrassed by his unselfish play in setting up Brana for tonight's fourth. He easily could have slotted that in on his home debut but it was proof the team winning is much more important to him.
  8. Robbie's substitutions showed bravery and an intent to win the game. His tactical mind and decisions continue to impress and he must be given a lot of credit for taking the risks of opening the team up to chase the game tonight.

It wasn't plain sailing but two wins from two is a perfect start. It is clear that this group of players will only get better as they play together more, and if we can win games and keep in the hunt whilst this is happening then we have a great chance this season of winning trophies.

I agree with above but Mikel was class last season when Di Matteo came in, seems to improved loads under Di Matteo's management. He's much better on the ball now he seems more composed and more intelligent in possession, I don't worry when he had the ball like I use to. All these things, I thought I'd never say about Mikel. Mikel may have started the season slowly but I'm willing to give him time. I believe he said himself that he has been slow getting into the swing of things so far.

Lampard? Needs to be watched more closely, he was poor tonight but in that deeper role, his passing is very important to our attacking play. His forward passing, allows us to build our attacks and I wouldn't say he slows us down at all. His passing, is still a very underrated part of his game. He gets the ball into the likes of Mata and Hazard, it seems like Mikel gets the ball and gives it to Lampard and that's where our attacks start from.

Both I don't think will struggle against better teams. We saw last season under Di Matteo that both when playing together they can handle it. Mikel against Tottenham in the semi final of the FA Cup was one of the best games I've seen him play. They've played together numerous times in the big games and delivered, Mikel has finally started to show signs that he is a good player and I saw Lampard do things last season, that if Gerrard had done them, people would be banging on about them for ages. I still think Lampard is even underrated by some of our fans. Lampard's two passes in the Barcelona games, Ramires' goal and his pass in the build up to Drogba's goal in the first leg. His pass to Drogba against Tottenham in the semi final, his pass to set up Drogba in the final.

Both can handle it, they have started slow but they should improve. I agree about the pace thing in the middle and Ramires should get more games playing in either Lampard's or Mikel's position. Ramires is better on the right in the big games or when we're relying more on the counter. Tonight's game, was more suited to Sturridge who I thought was our second best player on the night.

To all the so called "SUPPORTERS" who decide to slag off one of our players (the match winner this time) after a GLORIOUS night from us, please fuck off from the club.

We are Chelsea FC and has always been known for our GREAT support. We're not Liverpool where they turn their backs on their players. We're not scum like Spammers, Leeds, Spudz or Millwall. We are Chelsea FC.

Cheer with our players, die with our players.

I guess Rooney and Van Persie are shit as well, since they couldn't do fuck all against a cowardish defending team on Monday?

Where the fuc* were you when Sturridge; Bosingwa; Lampard; Malouda are getting torn to shreds, hiding in a hole looking at your Nando poster ?

I agree with above but Mikel was class last season when Di Matteo came in, seems to improved loads under Di Matteo's management. He's much better on the ball now he seems more composed and more intelligent in possession, I don't worry when he had the ball like I use to. All these things, I thought I'd never say about Mikel. Mikel may have started the season slowly but I'm willing to give him time. I believe he said himself that he has been slow getting into the swing of things so far.

Lampard? Needs to be watched more closely, he was poor tonight but in that deeper role, his passing is very important to our attacking play. His forward passing, allows us to build our attacks and I wouldn't say he slows us down at all. His passing, is still a very underrated part of his game. He gets the ball into the likes of Mata and Hazard, it seems like Mikel gets the ball and gives it to Lampard and that's where our attacks start from.

Both I don't think will struggle against better teams. We saw last season under Di Matteo that both when playing together they can handle it. Mikel against Tottenham in the semi final of the FA Cup was one of the best games I've seen him play. They've played together numerous times in the big games and delivered, Mikel has finally started to show signs that he is a good player and I saw Lampard do things last season, that if Gerrard had done them, people would be banging on about them for ages. I still think Lampard is even underrated by some of our fans. Lampard's two passes in the Barcelona games, Ramires' goal and his pass in the build up to Drogba's goal in the first leg. His pass to Drogba against Tottenham in the semi final, his pass to set up Drogba in the final.

Both can handle it, they have started slow but they should improve. I agree about the pace thing in the middle and Ramires should get more games playing in either Lampard's or Mikel's position. Ramires is better on the right in the big games or when we're relying more on the counter. Tonight's game, was more suited to Sturridge who I thought was our second best player on the night.

I agree about Lampard's passing, very underated in that regard.

I think many are most worried about the mobility of the two when against better attacking players. Especially as I don't expect us to show such a rearguard tactic as we did last season against Barca and Bayern. When the game is more stretched, can they stamp out opposition danger?

Reading sat deep and did not pressure the ball that at all that is why Mikel played well, he is still very suspect with the ball (just watch city game)

I advise people to watch the game again without the emotions involved. You'll see who was good or bad even better then.

Hazard, my my, what a superb player. Unbelievable how a couple of people on this forum said he had no "creativity", he's sure proven that notion wrong.

Cech didn't have his best game today but it's just a minor blip. What I love about Petr is that he can disregard below average moments easily. Mentally, he's very strong.

Our defence still needs to be worked on, the transition into the new style of play will take a little bit of time for the likes of Terry, Cole et al to fully get used to but they'll definitely improve as the season progresses.

To me it's quite unbelievable people want Terry to be dropped because he's slow. Terry has never had pace to begin with, and our defence + team looks so much better and a lot more inspired whenever he's on the pitch. It's ridiculous to suggest he should be dropped IMO.

Which brings me to the double pivot. Mikel and Lampard are two superb players, but for our style of play I don't think we can long continue with these two in the pivot, especially when we're facing teams that pressure a lot. Lampard leaves Mikel exposed way too much and it's hard for Mikel to do something productive with the ball when all of his options have been closed down or obstructed.

Lampard needs to be more disciplined in the role. He definitely has the capabilities to be the link from the pivot to our 4 up top but his natural instincts usually overrides his tactical instructions. He was better today but he has the ability to do better. This is why I think we need a player who's natural role in the team is to link the transitions up; someone like Modric. We'd easily play so much better with a pivot of Mikel and Modric as Modric doesn't have the tendency to join the attack as much as SFL does.

Mikel played well today because he wasn't exposed due to Reading sitting deep. In bigger games Lampard will need to be more disciplined to make the pivot work.

Mikel does work very well in this style of play, but only when the team isn't being hassled. He's perfect for teams that sit deep as he allows us to retain possession better. An outlet.

Our attack. The potential there was superb. Personally I want to see an attacking four of Sturridge, Mata, Hazard and Oscar in action - I believe they'd be so dangerous together. When Danny came on today he changed the game for us, he really is explosive. This is exactly the reason why we're looking at bringing in Hulk or Moses, their explosiveness can help us break down stubborn defences a lot.

Personally I'd like to see something like this tried too against stubborn teams:

Torres

Mata Sturridge Hazard

Sturridge as a second striker. We wouldn't rely just on Torres for the goals as we'd have a different goal threat in Sturridge, which would automatically create more space for the whole team. This team would be so dynamic.

Torres really wasn't as bad as some people make out on here. He was decent, linked up play alright... Had a couple of bad moments but they weren't suicidal or anything. One difference from last season where he would play really well and not score is that he now is scoring whilst not even playing well. This bodes well for him in the future. 2 in 3 isn't too bad.

MOTM: Eden Hazard.

Lampard was poor by his standards, surprisingly sloppy in possession and his passing which is normally very important to our attacking play wasn't there today. I also think defensively Ivanovic has been poor recently, too many times a player has gone pass him or got their cross in too easily. Ivanovic attacking wise, can't complain though, 5 goals in 8 games or something. laugh.png Defending is more important though.

Good win in the end, I think we will struggle on Saturday against Newcastle though.

The thing about Lampard yesterday was he was looking to make ambitious passes. u could see the front 4 trying to do lay-off's and one-touch passes. well, its easier for torres with his back to goal and mata and hazard are just gifted. Lampard's passing may be good but yesterday's sloppiness was due to him being over-ambitious. the first few bad passes where little chips trying to feed torres and i think almost all of them went straight to a defender. not much to worry though. i think he'll pick his game up although his pace and mobility have gone down

but ivanovic is a bigger worry. we might as well play ivanovic at attack rather than right back at this rate