Chelsea 4-2 Reading

BlueLion.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their first goal was amazing, one of the best headers you'll see all season. The first half was a joy to the eye, i hadn't seen Chelsea play like that in a while. Mata and Hazard were fantastic together. I don't want to concentrate on the negatives right now but it's great that we dug in and got a result because you know this wouldn't have happened last 2 seasons.

PS: watch Cissé top Pogrebnyak's goal <_<

Oh, and I'd just like to add. The way we played during the first 20 minutes of the game... The way we bossed it... Start getting used to that against teams of Reading's calibre. Once the team gels even more we'll see this type of domination against others too.

Maybe a bit too early to say this but... If the team gels quick enough and the likes of Hazard, Mata, Torres, Sturridge and Oscar hit top form we're title contenders.

Hopefully we won the game! we could have easily been behind 3-1!! the thought of getting beaten by a newly prompted championship side on our home was raping me!!! :D

Torres seemed lazy and unfocused! he was slumpier in comparison to Wigan game! and in some moments i missed Didier so much for not being in the pitch! :(

But Hazard on the other hand was superb! what a player! and considering his age he will be on top if he keep performing at this level! thank god he plays for us!

and i still think the area we should work on most, is still our defence. hopefully it'll get better and better as the season goes on.

blue%20scalf.gif

6 points, top of the league.

What worries me is the fact that our goals came from two defenders, two penalties, and an offside goal. Oscar, Mata, and Hazard together was a joy to watch even only for a moment and with Mata's fatigue. With Oscar and Hazard adapting, they could become a great group of talented players along with Marin.

YET AGAIN, if Mikel and Lampard are the defensive midfielders, we will continue to see problems...RDM have some work to do.

COYB

My thoughts on tonight:

1. Firstly this is the worst time to be playing a newly promoted team. The first few games of the season allow such teams to play with freedom and a 'nothing to lose' mentality because it is so early in the season. Once the league gets into 15-20 games and starts to take shape, these teams become more cagey, become a little deflated and are generally easier to get a result off.
  2. The first goal was an excellent header. The ball was worked too easily out wide, but once that happened it was difficult to defend. The second was just a fuck up from Cech. It doesn't happen often, he just completely mistimed the ball. Let us not forget his heroics that won us the FA Cup and Champions League last season.
  3. For those that were critical of RDM's tactics last season, and again against Wigan, we had 72% possession and 27 shots tonight, and looked much more comfortable and dominant when on the ball. Passing seemed crisper and movement more fluid. Even Mikel and Lampard seemed to 'zip' the ball around quicker, seemingly bouyed by the talent around them. It is easy to argue 'it was only Reading!' but it is a solid base to progress from.
  4. Despite going 2-1 down and having a real awful 20-30 minutes either side of half time, we always looked capable of winning the game. I've always felt when a goal or two down that we have a chance of getting back in the game due to the spirit and personality at the club, but we don't always look it. Man Utd, Arsenal and more recently Man City have looked like turning round deficits in the past due to the way they attack. Finally we look to be heading that way and it's a great relief. We will always find games where we fall behind, but with the attacking talent at our disposal - Players who can dribble, players who can pass, players who can run in behind, players who can shoot from sight; I feel much more confident about our chances this season.
  5. I can understand the comments of people like Kojo in recent months about the lack of pace in our pivot. This I think could be our one worry, for how good Mikel and Lampard are as football players, against better attacking teams and cleverer midfielders we may struggle. It will be interesting to see how we cope against Newcastle on Saturday. If Essien is still struggling to replicate any sense of previous form, and Robbie is reluctant to use Ramires centrally, then a more mobile and solid midfielder is a must. If this means letting Meireles or Essien move on, or Romeu on loan then so be it.
  6. Disregarding the fact that Torres' goal was offside, the build up to that goal was unbelievable. Quick, incisive one touch passing and movement. Such a goal fills me with confidence that we will find it much easier to break down stubborn defences this season.
  7. Eden Hazard take a bow son. He has added an 'X Factor' to our game which has been missing the last few seasons, and if we are going to see a shift of style then he will be the catalyst, The talk of his ego by the media I think was also embarrassed by his unselfish play in setting up Brana for tonight's fourth. He easily could have slotted that in on his home debut but it was proof the team winning is much more important to him.
  8. Robbie's substitutions showed bravery and an intent to win the game. His tactical mind and decisions continue to impress and he must be given a lot of credit for taking the risks of opening the team up to chase the game tonight.

It wasn't plain sailing but two wins from two is a perfect start. It is clear that this group of players will only get better as they play together more, and if we can win games and keep in the hunt whilst this is happening then we have a great chance this season of winning trophies.

Nice insight and write up. Totally agree with everything you have said here. Was very impressed with RDMs subs today.

Also I think Mata looked a lot better than against Wigan. Just a lot more "alert" and seemed pacier and more eager to get involved. And really enjoyed the impact Sturridge had and his willingness to track back and defend as well.

Great outcome from the 2nd game of the season and I think points towards a good year blue%20scalf.gif

Alot of positives from this game...

• RDM showed that he is not afraid to go for it if the team is behind
  • We proved (in the first 15 mins) that we are capable of playing at a fast pace and can create many chances
  • We got to see Hazard - Oscar - Mata all on the same pitch together for the first time
  • Torres scored a 'poachers' goal... although it was offside it was an incredible move and it was good positioning by Nando to get on the end of Ash's pass
  • Looks like we have a back-up for Torres in the striking department in Ivanovic.. lovely stuff from the right back to sprint the length of the pitch to score the 4th
  • Sturridge came off the bench and showed glimpses of what he is capable of.. including that AMAZING :fainthv9: cross-field volley/pass while he was off balance

Was at the game tonight, I am going to summarize a few points I have picked up on, negative and positive:

1- Hazard was magnificent tonight, very unselfish, could of easily got himself a goal at the end but decided to pass. Already got 5 assists and you just have a sense of excitement when he is on the ball. Believe he can become a future legend here.

2- This game shows the unpredtictability of the Premier League. They gave us quite a good contest and had to work really hard for the win

3- Although Ivanovic has 2 in 2 so good for him but he looks a bit more weak defensively and quite slower than I thought. An alternative faster RB is needed quite soonish.

4- At home games against weaker oppositions I would rather see our "proper wingers" start on the flanks rather than Ramires. I would like to see Ramires in the centre in his usual position sometimes but I would like to Sturridge on the RW in these kind of home games, he made quite a difference coming on tonight.

5- Hope Mikel is not given criticism by people because although we conceded 2 goals in first half, he actually done his job. Re-gathering possession, spraying around passes and had brilliant balance on the ball. Lampard was decent but sometimes we can do with a bit more pace within the pivot. Ramires like I stated and Oscar there sometimes, like we saw second half.

6- Really happy Torres got his goal tonight but let's not get it wrong, despite the goal it was another frustrating night for him. He was invisible for a lot of the match and it was like playign with 10 men a lot of the time. We have won our first 2 games but if we go with Torres and Sturridge for a whole season with Torres expected to lead the line I reckon we might struggle in some periods so I still feel a 3rd striker could do here considering the amount of games we will have and some of them, much more ruthless opposition.

7- Confidence is a major thing. Torres was poor most of the match but as soon as he had his goal, he was confident in his ability to run at defenders, make brilliant runs etc. When he is going through a drought, it clearly dampens his confidence but fair play to Ashley Cole who played him in unselfishly when a shot looked the most likely option for him. But now Torres has his PL goal for the season underway, hopefully he is able to add more against Newcastle.

Put it as mildly as you like, Cahill was at fault for the first goal, let his man get away from him. He did make up for it with a fantastic strike though.

Ivanovic was sloppy at times, ofcoure he did score the goal, but he is there primarily to be solid defensively.

Torres when close to the action got well involved, when he drifted away, he seemed like a lost soul.

5 of our 6 goals have been either penalties or scored by defenders in open play, sixth one being offside. That is a worrying sign about what we're doing in the final third after all this possession and attacking play.

This may seem like a doom & gloom post, but what I'm trying to say is let's not get over excited.

Hazard is a class act took to the PL like a fish to water, Oscar shows signs of brilliance but isn't ready yet, needs to adapt to the pace and physical nature of the league.

I'll still say we look destined for making the CL next year and anything above that is bonus for me.