Roman Abramovich Thread

On a related note, last week, Roman's company (forgot which one) signed a huge sponsorship deal with Vitesse (well, huge for the Eridivesie). It looks like we really want them to dominate Dutch football and get into the CL. A feeder club in the CL would provide a huge experience for our youngsters.

I've heard that two clubs with the same owner can't play in the same competition.

I've heard that two clubs with the same owner can't play in the same competition.

That's true. But Roman does not own Vitesse. It belongs to a close friend of his. And even the rumors about Mallorca is that it will be owned by his son, Arkadi, not Roman himself.

Well this is surprising if I think it means what it does: http://www.gelderlander.nl/algemeen/sport/vitesse-wordt-weer-verkocht-1.4398944

Can anyone Dutch tell me if this says that Vitesse owner is planning on selling the club?

There's no way we're ending our collaboration with Vitesse, IMO. I have a theory why that might be if it is true, but it will take some explaining...

Well this is surprising if I think it means what it does: http://www.gelderlander.nl/algemeen/sport/vitesse-wordt-weer-verkocht-1.4398944

Can anyone Dutch tell me if this says that Vitesse owner is planning on selling the club?

There's no way we're ending our collaboration with Vitesse, IMO. I have a theory why that might be if it is true, but it will take some explaining...

Get explaining...

It says that london wanne get rid of vitesse and are interrested in malaga or mallorca instead.

Vitesse is for sale for 47mil but since the club has a yearly loss of 20mil they made truphone headsponsor for the coming 3 years so it can be sold easier.

Joost de Wit , the director of the club says he knows nothing about this tough.

Get explaining...

The new sponsorship deal that Vitesse signed with Truphone, the company that is partially owned by Roman, is hugely important for the Dutch club that has lost in excess of 20m last year alone and will struggle to comply with FFP in the future without it. But the deal could also be potentially get Roman and Vitesse owner, Chigirinsky, in trouble.

The issue is that Roman and Chigirinsky are not just friends, they are also business partners. They both own large shares in a Russian company called Snegiri. This means that the sponsorship deal will be classified as a "related-party transaction" according to FFP. That in itself is not an issue unless it the value of the transaction is deemed not to be as "fair value". This is what happened with PSG and their sponsors.

Basically, UEFA will be monitoring the deals very closely and can screw Roman and Vitesse over if they want to like. So I think selling Vitesse to someone who has never been in business with Roman might just be a ploy to give Vitesse the money they need to still get into the CL whil keeping UEFA off Roman's back.

The new sponsorship deal that Vitesse signed with Truphone, the company that is partially owned by Roman, is hugely important for the Dutch club that has lost in excess of 20m last year alone and will struggle to comply with FFP in the future without it. But the deal could also be potentially get Roman and Vitesse owner, Chigirinsky, in trouble.

The issue is that Roman and Chigirinsky are not just friends, they are also business partners. They both own large shares in a Russian company called Snegiri. This means that the sponsorship deal will be classified as a "related-party transaction" according to FFP. That in itself is not an issue unless it the value of the transaction is deemed not to be as "fair value". This is what happened with PSG and their sponsors.

Basically, UEFA will be monitoring the deals very closely and can screw Roman and Vitesse over if they want to like. So I think selling Vitesse to someone who has never been in business with Roman might just be a ploy to give Vitesse the money they need to still get into the CL whil keeping UEFA off Roman's back.

Seems somewhat logical. Dodgy Russian business :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Russia's billionaires 'horrified' at sanctions threat that could push economy into recession.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2699984/Russian-billionaires-horror-sanctions-threat-theyre-terrified-Putin-speak-out.html

Has a photo of Abramovich. Do you guys think this scenario would affect Chelsea financially?

I think not. We don't seem to be as much reliant on Abramovich's money as we used to be. Look at this transfer window so far, the money we spent vs the money we earned on sales. Last window the same thing with Mata and KDB sales.

• 1 month later...