Roman Abramovich Thread

27 minutes ago, milka said:

I wonder what he is up to. Did he not lose a significant amount due to us being taken from him? How would he even able to purchase another EU club? There has to be some scheme to protect his remaining assets behind this

24 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I wonder what he is up to. Did he not lose a significant amount due to us being taken from him? How would he even able to purchase another EU club? There has to be some scheme to protect his remaining assets behind this

When they report his loses it is factored by the decline of the Ruble and his holdings values in Russia. No billionaire has billions of Rubles laying around. His holdings in Russia are just like investments in stock, you have not lost any money unless you sell when the value is down. He also has holdings that nobody knows about. Every few years he sells something that nobody knew he owned. I would say he has a lot more than some journalists are speculating about.

I don't get what is behind all this? How could he be eligible to own Spanish club but not English? During this sanctions. Anyway if he buys Valencia or some other club I profoundly hope he will take Marina, board and our scouting department with him. 

How will he be happy to invest again when he has  treated Chelsea as a business for the last five to six years. We needed to sell in order to buy and after  Hazard and Morata who provided big transfer kitty, we only had duds to sell that no one wanted to buy, so we were left to sell youth in order to generate funds for more duds.

In fact, if the same board stayed, I would be terrified if our attempts of selling Lukaku and Werner collapse. Who would we sell ? Kante? Jorginho? With their contrasts running down. If we wouldn't  generate enough by those selling players (Italians will wait for the next year) who would we really sell? Conor to Newcastle for 70 mill, Broja to Southampton / Newcastle for 50 mill and Colwill to Newcastle for 40 mill are my guess.

That is how we would generate funds to replace outgoing defenders and midfielders.

There is fundamental difference between Roman until 2017 and afterwards. Which one will Valencia get?

4 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I appreciate that the conversation has been largely about trophies and trophy count but I think there is another way to define surpass.

In 2003 the BBC invited submissions from Chelsea fans for an article about Roman's takeover to be published on their sports site and mine was selected. Among many other things they wanted to know what I hoped Roman would achieve with Chelsea. I wrote about my hope that he would establish Chelsea as a permanent member of the world's elite football clubs. There is room for debate as to whether that's a valid aspiration and, if so, whether or not it has been achieved. My own view is that it is the most valid ambition since trophy counts follow from it. I do not think that it has been achieved however. In that sense I believe Roman's achievements not only can be surpassed, but they must be.

Definitely a subject of debate and I guess it largely depends on what would be defined as elite clubs. It's the same really as which players are world class.

If you're talking the absolute pinnacle of elite in terms of size, support, success then I think you can only go with a small group of United, Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern.

That next rung down the ladder in my opinion is where we are. Difficult to compare our success with say a Juventus or a Liverpool because most of our success has been this era not ones bygone. But in my opinion we are positioned that level down from the very top clubs mentioned above and I'm ok with that and I'm unsure that level could truly be reached within a tenure as short as Roman's from where we were before his arrival.

Just a note though I think you've misread my comment. I wasn't saying his achievements at Chelsea couldn't be surpassed. I think the base has been built that we can be taken further. My comments were that Roman taking on that Turkish club he'd never surpass his achievements at Chelsea with what he could achieve with them.

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I appreciate that the conversation has been largely about trophies and trophy count but I think there is another way to define surpass.

In 2003 the BBC invited submissions from Chelsea fans for an article about Roman's takeover to be published on their sports site and mine was selected. Among many other things they wanted to know what I hoped Roman would achieve with Chelsea. I wrote about my hope that he would establish Chelsea as a permanent member of the world's elite football clubs. There is room for debate as to whether that's a valid aspiration and, if so, whether or not it has been achieved. My own view is that it is the most valid ambition since trophy counts follow from it. I do not think that it has been achieved however. In that sense I believe Roman's achievements not only can be surpassed, but they must be.

Why?

7 minutes ago, Mário César said:

what do you think about him?

It's difficult to have a really definitive opinion on the whole situation to be honest because there is a real lack of true information coming out around the bids.

It's been widely reported that the Ricketts bid carries no debt and is 100% equity. If that is being reported in such a way, would make you assume that the other bids perhaps are not. But then I would also expect any bids that had any significant form of debt financing included wouldn't have made it this far with Raine.

I don't follow the Boston Celtics so I can only rely on more knowledgeable people than myself commenting on his ownership of them. From what it appears he seems pretty good, no real controversy and very much in the background. I'm glad that he has released a statement. Like the Ricketts one, its pretty basic stuff although I think worded in a much more warming and informal tone. But it's still good to at least have this baseline to at least start from because up to this point no one, even in the media, really had any idea of his plans with the bid and it's secrecy felt a little concerning.

Ironically I would say now the Broughton bid seems to be the weakest one. After he did some PR rounds a few weeks ago, everything has gone quiet with this and there doesn't appear to be much transparency with the bid as it obviously isn't his money. I personally don't like the idea on this bid of Harris and Blitzer just divesting their Palace shares at will to jump over to us. Ethically this doesn't sit with me well that they're prepared to just dump something with very little notice and our semi final against them this coming week probably doesn't help matters.

Ultimately we're not privy to the fine detail of each bid and this is what Raine and the likes of Buck, Marina, etc are paid the big money for. I'm a little worried Raine will push for what earns them the biggest commission (although as it's not necessarily biggest bid wins, their commission may well be factored against biggest bid anyway despite the selected winning one), and the likes of Bruce and Marina may push their own agenda regarding their futures at the club. We just have to trust and place faith across them all that they will make a decision on what is best for our football club in the long term.

I'm at a point now though where this has drained and sucked all my appetite out for football this season. Maybe a comeback tonight will get the fires burning again but if I'm honest, I'm just looking forward to this being resolved and the season ending to re-charge over the summer and look forward to a new era at the club.

It’s just so difficult to gauge where our expectations should be with all these prospective owners. They all seem to have something in common in that the bids are being fronted by a “smaller” billionaire but then they’re backed by these colossal firms that are worth mega-billions. 

So it’s pretty much impossible to know until they’re in place what sort of ownership model we’ll have. Will it be a cheap bastard owner like Kroenke? Will it be a group solely interested in the commercial side and pulling out money like the Glazers? Or will we hit the jackpot again and have an owner whose primary concern is winning on the pitch?

The only one of the 4 finalists that I have high hopes for is the Boehly group. The LA Dodgers are the equivalent of Real Madrid/PSG/Barca here in baseball in that they are always targeting and signing huge names and superstars. And with reporting last week that the main owner of the Dodgers has teamed up on Boehly’s bid that can only be a positive. They’ll want to make a splash.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Will it be a cheap bastard owner like Kroenke? Will it be a group solely interested in the commercial side and pulling out money like the Glazers? Or will we hit the jackpot again and have an owner whose primary concern is winning on the pitch?

Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z

Gilbert Promises ‘Ample Investment’ In Chelsea FC If Bid Is Successful

The announcement that he would sell set off a flurry of interest to purchase the club — around 20 had considered it, Bloomberg reported — which was founded in 1905 and makes its home in west London at Stamford Bridge stadium.

Abramovich paid $197 million for the team in 2003 and it is now believed to be worth $3.2 billion.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Abramovich has made some $2 billion in loans to the club, while revenue during his nearly two-decade tenure as owner has only been about $1.2 billion. Abramovich, the Wall Street Journal says, has said that “he won’t receive any proceeds from the team sale and will forgo the loans that the club owes him.” With bids coming in at approximately $3 billion, it would be among the most expensive sports franchise sales in history.

Bloomberg says European sports teams “tend to be bought for two to four times revenue, which makes them cheaper than their peers among American sports franchises.”

Last month, the Wall Street Journal reported that Abramovich and Ukrainian negotiators were victims of poisoning during a March 3 Kyiv meeting while attempting to broker a peace deal.

Gilbert, who founded what is now Detroit-based mortgage giant Rocket Companies Inc. (NYSE: RKT), also owns the Cleveland Cavaliers, which won the NBA championship in 2016; the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League; and the Canton Charge of the NBA’s Development League.

Several years ago Gilbert pitched having a Major League Soccer team in Detroit, although that effort never materialized. The MLS campaign also involved Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores and the Ford family, which would have provided space for the team to play at Ford Field.

Prior to purchasing the Cavs, he tried to purchase the Milwaukee Brewers.

In addition to Rocket, Gilbert is Detroit’s most prominent landlord and developer, owning millions of square feet of office, residential, retail, parking and industrial space, largely in downtown but also in other parts of the city.

NBC has reported that the other three bidders are Todd Boehly, owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers; Boston Celtics owner Stephen Pagliuca; and David Blitzer and Josh Harris of Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment, which owns the Philadelphia 76ers and the New Jersey Devils.

The Ricketts family bid has been controversial because of anti-Muslim comments made by the family patriarch, Joe Ricketts, in emails that were leaked in 2019. Joe Ricketts is reportedly not involved in the offer to buy Chelsea.

Those comments have spurred backlash and members of the Ricketts family met last month with fan groups to address the allegations of Islamophobia, according to Bloomberg, which says New York-based The Raine Group is handling the sale.

Last month, the executive director of Chicago’s Council on American Islamic Relations, told Crain’s Chicago Business that Tom Ricketts, the son of Joe Ricketts, “did not make those statements, and he worked hard to reach out to the community and to show his commitment to inclusion and diversity.”

The Ricketts family would reportedly not own a controlling stake in Chelsea, which won the Champions League last year.

https://fpl360.com/2022/04/11/gilbert-promises-ample-investment-in-Chelsea-fc-if-bid-is-successful/