Roman Abramovich Thread

On 04/04/2022 at 16:18, MoroccanBlue said:

There seems to be a misinterpretation. The father isn't involved in the bid and the children have distanced themselves from him. 

It will still dishearten a lot of fans, the father ‘may not’ be involved and they may have ‘distanced’ themselves from him but where do you think their wealth came from? They may have earned their places at other company’s but they own the baseball team through a family trust with their parents also as owners. I would assume that same family trust will be financing their bid for ownership here. Unless they’ve got that much sitting about under a mattress. 

So whatever way you look at it, their family name is bad news and an association with their father will always be there.

On 05/04/2022 at 15:29, MoroccanBlue said:

That's a bit silly. A deal breaker because of their political affiliation?

Unless these lot are far right activists  I can't imagine why someone's political preference has any bearing on how well they can run this football club. 

The irony is the club is only really being sold due to our current owners past ties with Vladimir Putin, which are mainly/more than likely political. So I can absolutely see why this would be a deal breaker to some people because now we are suffering from having a current owner who has a political past with somebody who is morally a very questionable person.

3 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

This is the slowest quick sale I have seen. 

Well the groups have to the 11th now.

The biggest hold up will be the Government ensuring no cash goes into Roman’s pocket also. Wait and see.

UEFA adopts new regulations to replace financial fair play

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220407-uefa-adopts-new-regulations-to-replace-financial-fair-play-1

Nyon (Switzerland) (AFP) – UEFA on Thursday approved new licensing and "sustainability" regulations to replace its existing Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules, allowing European clubs to make bigger losses than before while bringing in caps on spending on wages and transfers.

As expected, European football's governing body decided to overhaul the FFP rules that were introduced in 2010 in order to reduce spiralling club debts across the continent.

FFP's limitations had been exposed by the emergence of state-held superpowers like Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain, while huge losses incurred by the coronavirus pandemic left poorer clubs with little room for manoeuvre.

"The biggest innovation will be the introduction of a squad cost rule to bring better cost control in relation to player wages and transfer costs," UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin announced following a meeting of the body's executive committee.

UEFA will now allow clubs to report losses of 60 million euros ($65.5m) over three years rather than 30 million euros previously, and the permitted figure will even reach 90 million euros for a club "in good financial health".

However, that relaxation of the rules is combined with the new ceilings on wage spending.

There was never any possibility of bringing in a specific salary cap like in North American sports because UEFA has 55 member countries and must contend with European Union and national labour and competition laws.

Yet under UEFA's new regulations clubs will be forced to limit spending on player and staff wages, transfers and agents fees to 70 percent of total revenues by 2025/26.

The ceiling will drop as current contracts expire: 90 percent of club income in 2023/24, followed by 80 percent the season after and then 70 percent.

"Before the pandemic, the average ratio was under 70 percent," said Andrea Traverso, UEFA's director of financial sustainability.

Then the health crisis led to losses over two seasons of about seven billion euros, causing that ratio to rise.

Financial and sporting penalties

Ceferin said breaches of the new rules "will result in predefined financial penalties and sporting measures".

The size of the fines will depend on the extent to which clubs have crossed the threshold, with that money then redistributed among the well-behaved -- in line with the idea of a "luxury tax" championed in the past by Ceferin.

Serious or repeated breaches will lead to sporting punishments, with Traverso saying these could range from bans on using certain players and limits on squad sizes, to points deductions in the new-look Champions League group phase to be introduced from 2024.

He added that discussions are ongoing about the possibility of teams being demoted from one European competition to another, for example from the Champions League to the Europa League.

The fate of FFP in its existing guise was sealed when Manchester City successfully appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in 2020 to have a two-year ban from European competition overturned.

Abu Dhabi-owned City had been accused of deliberately inflating the value of income from Emirati sponsors Etisalat and Etihad Airways to meet FFP regulations.

State-owned clubs such as City and Qatar-backed PSG may still find themselves in a position to spend far more than their rivals, despite the new 70 percent rule.

Meanwhile, traditional giants like Barcelona and Juventus -- two of the main backers of the failed European Super League project -- could see their ambitions still restricted by the need to reduce debts.

The new regulations come in at a time when elite-level football is dominated by a smaller and more select group of clubs than ever, but Traverso said improving competitive balance required more than just financial measures.

Now that UEFA has announced its new budgetary rules after months of consultations, he said the body was "going to open a new chapter and move on to other measures".

31 minutes ago, Hermione said:

This is good addition but need a powerful billionaire to complete it.

Just because they are billionaires doesn't mean they're going to open up their wallets. Joe Lewis is a billionaire, I don't see him overstretching Spurs. Same with Kroenke at Arsenal. 

Boehly, Wyss and now Walter combined are worth around the same, if not more than Roman so we're hardly looking at desolate buyers and I would expect there is further financial backing if needed within the consortium.

They don't need the deepest pockets, the strategy is more important. Especially with the new FFP being mapped out by UEFA, the keys now will be finding better value in the transfer market and driving revenues higher to be able to spend more. It's probably the closest thing we're going to get to a salary or transfer cap in football (albeit it will be driven by individual club's own revenue as opposed to a blanket cap across the board).

I have liked this Boehly bid from the beginning. He comes across very well, his track record with other sports teams speaks volumes and there has been no controversy about his bid. It's clear Matt Law is a mouthpiece for them through the media but that's worked in his favour too because he's not had the controversy of the Ricketts but his bid has remained fairly transparent unlike Broughton and Pagliuca.

I like the ideas being suggested that Boehly and Walter feel they can bring a number of strategies and ideas from the Dodgers across to Chelsea with regards to data analysis, recruitment, etc. As much as we'll all be indebted to Roman for where he's taken Chelsea over the years, there is no question that there has still at times been frustration with some poor recruitment and a lack of foresight and longer term planning. Someone coming in with fresh ideas to implement on areas perceived as a weakness from the outside can only be a positive.

I genuinely believe this bid will boil down to this one or the Ricketts and whilst I'm open to giving the Ricketts bid a chance if it was deemed successful by the decision makers, my choice based on information currently at hand would be this one.

41 minutes ago, whats happening said:

i wish steve ballmer was one of the buyers.

what makes you think he would be a good owner apart from being filthy rich? The way he hit a wall with windows mobile (despite producing really beautiful phones) and zune despite having all the necessary resources to succeed does not exactly inspire confidence in marketing a brand.

32 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

what makes you think he would be a good owner apart from being filthy rich? The way he hit a wall with windows mobile (despite producing really beautiful phones) and zune despite having all the necessary resources to succeed does not exactly inspire confidence in marketing a brand.

he's a really good owner in the nba so far. not shying away from paying tens of millions of dollars in tax just to have the best possible team. also is building a new arena and overall seems really invested in the team, some will say he is obsessed...

besides that, he so far made all the best decisions to hire more than competent people in the front office who know how to run a basketball franchise and make all the basketball decisions. unlike some other owners he does not act like someone who knows everything about basketball, he just pays the money and trusts in the front office people to handle that.

18 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Surpass his achievements at Chelsea is as good as guaranteed to never happen. They are a million miles away from what he inherited here, add the league and location it's just not happening.

He might over time get them challenging and winning domestically and as a result into the Champions League - would that be deemed as a surpassing at what has happened at Chelsea?

Exciting for Goztepe though. It'll put them in a better position than they've ever been before, but the standard of player they will be able to attract won't allow for a quick fix.

I don't think it is possible to surpass what he did for Chelsea, unless they are talking about a PSG or Juventus event like walking to the league title every year, or almost every year. European wins in CL or UL are just not going to happen given the pool of players they can attract, even while dominating the league.

19 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Is today the deadline for final offers to be submitted?

Think it's been extended to Thursday, but with the Easter bank holiday weekend I'd assume nothing will start coming through until well into next week.

On 08/04/2022 at 18:37, Superblue_1986 said:

Surpass his achievements at Chelsea is as good as guaranteed to never happen.

I appreciate that the conversation has been largely about trophies and trophy count but I think there is another way to define surpass.

In 2003 the BBC invited submissions from Chelsea fans for an article about Roman's takeover to be published on their sports site and mine was selected. Among many other things they wanted to know what I hoped Roman would achieve with Chelsea. I wrote about my hope that he would establish Chelsea as a permanent member of the world's elite football clubs. There is room for debate as to whether that's a valid aspiration and, if so, whether or not it has been achieved. My own view is that it is the most valid ambition since trophy counts follow from it. I do not think that it has been achieved however. In that sense I believe Roman's achievements not only can be surpassed, but they must be.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie