Roman Abramovich Thread

Chelsea takeover: Who is on the preferred bidders shortlist & what happens next?
https://www.goal.com/en/news/Chelsea-takeover-shortlist-preferred-bidder-stage-what/blt3b6feeb315707b45

1. Los Angeles Dodgers co-owner Todd Boehly

2. Atalanta co-owner Stephen Pagliuca

3. Ex-Liverpool chairman Sir Martin Broughton

A lot of people in the last couple of days on social media seem to have been souring on Boehly because it's being speculated that he'll only have a minority stake (20%) and Clearlake Capital will be the majority holding at around 50%.

Firstly the idea of these private equity firms, etc coming on board and asset stripping us or milking the club I think are way over the top. Boehly already said in an interview a few years ago, no one buying a football club should be expecting 30% returns a year but instead it's a stable investment which has capacity for growth. These firms backing bids will know the situation and surely be going into such a deal with their eyes open to this.

There's a reason why all the parties still in the running for us are American led and it's because the view in America is that Chelsea at the current price could be viewed as a steal in another 10 - 15 years time. With the greatest respect to the NBA, NFL, MLB they and their clubs pale in comparison to the wider world of football but in particular the Premier League and Chelsea in general with regards to social media following, worldwide exposure, etc. The Premier League still needs to truly "make it" in America, and it will in time. And the league will continue to boom further as a result.

Asset stripping us is pointless because the value of our squad would barely be worth a third of the sale price and the stadium isn't owned by the new buyers either. Not investing in the future of the club and leaving it to stagnate will completely batter the value of the club.

I believe for these PE firms, a deal like this will be viewed as much more of a long term but steady investment. A bit like someone wanting their investment or pension portfolio to invest into property. It's a longer term, steadier investment than for example, the stock market where they'd be looking to make quicker but riskier gains. The returns on this investment in Chelsea will be in years to come when they may look to divest their shareholding over time.

The main things within Boehly's bid will be that it's 100% equity and no debt. If there's a commitment for a further £1bn of investment in the club too then that has to go some way to furthering the club, particularly if any stadium expansion/redevelopment is done in stages, that will end up being a far cheaper option in the longer term which hopefully then doesn't impact into investment in the playing staff.

And the final point of confirmation on the Boehly bid is that he'll have operational control. Think Levy at Spurs with his minority stake in Enic (and therefore Spurs) compared to Joe Lewis, but he is given operational control to run the club. Boehly should get the same free reign to do so, and I feel confident from what I've heard from him and what I've read about him that he would do that well.

8 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

And then there were three then. 

I actually thought the Ricketts bid was probably the favourite so this is quite a surprising turn up.

I just hope this gets sorted out asap.

I would love to see if that fuckstick Governor Pete had a tantrum because they tried to ice the cunt out due to his Trump nut-cupping and RW hate

Great to have the ethically most suspect bid withdrawn. If it was not bc of the fan pressure it is even better cos this probably means it also would have been a bad deal for the club economically.

Boehly is probably not 100% clean as well but he donated a lot more to the Democrats than Republicans so far if that is any helpful.

18 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Great to have the ethically most suspect bid withdrawn. If it was not bc of the fan pressure it is even better cos this probably means it also would have been a bad deal for the club economically.

Boehly is probably not 100% clean as well but he donated a lot more to the Democrats than Republicans so far if that is any helpful.

Hansjörg Wyss is a big lefty so I am happy there

15 hours ago, Vesper said:

Hansjörg Wyss is a big lefty so I am happy there

I just saw a video where Todd is neither he wants to push for the middle. He said it's a big problem in the USA where you got the extreme right and extreme left and they no longer work with each other. 

And he is true both extreme are wrong because you will never accomplish anything. Otherwise it's going to be fighting and drama all the time as we have now. 

Here in this video 

Edited by Fernando

3 hours ago, Fernando said:

I just saw a video where Todd is neither he wants to push for the middle. He said it's a big problem in the USA where you got the extreme right and extreme left and they no longer work with each other. 

And he is true both extreme are wrong because you will never accomplish anything. Otherwise it's going to be fighting and drama all the time as we have now. 

Here in this video 

there is no extreme left in the US with any remote sort of political power

you are labelled a radical flame breathing communist there if you push for things most every other advanced nation has had for decades

the political philosophical centre is slid so far to the right there that the average bog standard centrist Democrat (who is still labelled a fire breathing commie by the Republicans) would be a solid mainstream right type in most European parliaments

5 hours ago, Vesper said:

there is no extreme left in the US with any remote sort of political power

you are labelled a radical flame breathing communist there if you push for things most every other advanced nation has had for decades

the political philosophical centre is slid so far to the right there that the average bog standard centrist Democrat (who is still labelled a fire breathing commie by the Republicans) would be a solid mainstream right type in most European parliaments

There are far left extremists that are violent here. There is a big difference between the far right who take some weird pride in their violence and wear their prison time as a badge of honor. When left extremist are arrested and their names are published after being sentenced they often get really pissed off that they have been outed and it will ruin their ability to get meaniful employment. Both sides are strange as fuck that they feel persecuted after destroying shit, harassing people, and injuring people. Both sides think they are justified in their transgressions. We have a political and justice system to solve these issues, nobody needs to harassed, injured, and rarely killed so they feel their political voice is being heard. Luckily both the radical left and radical right are pretty low number groups. Most of us are far more likely to be injured in a traffic accident than to come in contact with these nutters.

5 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

There are far left extremists that are violent here. There is a big difference between the far right who take some weird pride in their violence and wear their prison time as a badge of honor. When left extremist are arrested and their names are published after being sentenced they often get really pissed off that they have been outed and it will ruin their ability to get meaniful employment. Both sides are strange as fuck that they feel persecuted after destroying shit, harassing people, and injuring people. Both sides think they are justified in their transgressions. We have a political and justice system to solve these issues, nobody needs to harassed, injured, and rarely killed so they feel their political voice is being heard. Luckily both the radical left and radical right are pretty low number groups. Most of us are far more likely to be injured in a traffic accident than to come in contact with these nutters.

the 'radical left' is, on balance, a right wing fantasy and bogeymen in the US

its the stuff of Fox and Newsmax, and OANN fever dreams designed to keep the white wing/right wing rubes, hicks, marks, and dupes all wound up and ready for nose-ring leading about

oh noes! those far left commies are letting trannie furries take a shit in litter boxes in muh little Tommy and Mary's school!

gmafb

it (no radical left) is especially true if we are (as I was) talking about elected office

now, as for private citizens

sure there are a few ragtag localised groups that go out at times looking for a ruck with the local (or imported) nazis,

but they PALE in comparison to ever-rising numbers of white nationalist and christofascists, who can be organised (both openly or in sleeper cells), unorganised except via social media, and then the lone wolf sleepers

10 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

There are far left extremists that are violent here.

As I type this I can't remember any examples though I'm sure you could remind me of some. I'm also sure you could remind me of many, many more wing nuts of the right in the US. What's worse is that what gets classified as the extreme right is a much smaller space in the US than it is in Europe. Much of the opinion that would be reviled in Europe gets elected to Congress in America. You have to be way beyond the pale to be labelled 'extreme right' yet rightist extremists still outnumber those of the left many multiple times. Fascists and theocrats abound.

America is steering itself toward its own downfall. The most popular broadcaster on the right defends Putin and has his lawyers defend him against defamation charges by stating that only idiots would believe anything he says so he can't be defaming anyone because everyone knows he's full of crap. This is what his own lawyers say in court yet the idiots still DO believe him. Currently an uneducated, ignorant, moron like Hershel Walker leads the polls in Georgia and seems to be heading for the Capitol. I really don't know what America is going to do to save itself from itself.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie