Roman Abramovich Thread

8 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

This is all bollocks and I am fuming. Where is the transparency? Everywhere we turn, including the article quoted here, we are told Roman has links with Putin but no report EVER mention's what those links are and why they are such as to warrant the measures taken against him, against Chelsea and against us. I don't claim that there are no links, nor that Roman shouldn't be sanctioned if they do exist, but all I ever see are assertions, never any specific descriptions of the links and never any evidence to back up the assertions.

Without substantiation of the charges what we are witnessing is a modern day witch hunt.

When communism was toppled the major Soviet industries were denationalized, a la Thatcher between 1979-1990.
So Abramovitch and others who had some money bought them but at a highly reduced price than what would be normal.
I don't know why Yeltsin accepted this but he did it.
So the oligarchs became rich and it was natural for them to have some relations with the country's leadership (who in similar position does n't ?).
Among them there are I suppose all sorts of different opinions: Proinvasion, neutral and against.
Abramovitch looks like neutral.
The Greek-Russian one who is quite a character now declares he is against the invasion or so I heard.

The Italian Gazzeta dello Sport  says that teams targeted by the sanctions besides Chelsea are Monaco, the Dutch Vitesse and PAOK Salonika is a question mark according to them. Also Bournemouth's Maxim Denim appears to be outside the scope of the sanctions.

I don't know if we had German oligarchs operating in UK-USA at the start of world war II and what happened then.

10 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Erm, isn't this Jonathan Goldstein an editor and not the Jonathan Goldstein Law is mentioning? The business man?

90% sure its the same guy. He's not an editor. He is mentioned as chair of the Jewish Leadership Council. which is what it says on the businessman's LinkedIn too

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

United fans genuinely think they will nick Tuchel off of us. 

Them...Carragher...Rio...

Fuck. I hate that whole Pool/United ex player posse that rules football media in England.

On the other hand, I'm also glad that none of our big guns became a pundit. 

Imagine having your ex player and legend talking shit about their former clubs performances. 

1 minute ago, Blues Forever said:

Nizaar also has a good source inside the club.

Right but Matt Law clearly indicated those that are making their intentions public, along with what they intend on doing as owner, aren't too be taken seriously. 

Just one search of this bloke's name and there is virtually nothing on him. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Right but Matt Law clearly indicated those that are making their intentions public, along with what they intend on doing as owner aren't too be taken seriously. 

Well then Boehly-Wyss also shouldn't be taken seriously.

Just now, MoroccanBlue said:

Did Boehly Wyss state they will reinstate Rudiger's contract, buy Haaland, Build new stadium, etc, etc?

Didn't Law leaked Boehly intend the club to be more self sustaining and has a plan for a new stadium. Wyss also leaked he doesn't really care about football and dislike Roman. 

1 hour ago, cosmicway said:

When communism was toppled the major Soviet industries were denationalized, a la Thatcher between 1979-1990.

As is commonly known.

So Abramovitch and others who had some money bought them but at a highly reduced price than what would be normal.

In fact the bulk of the money Roman used to fund his purchase came from a $100m bank loan comfortably secured on the shares he would be purchasing.

I don't know why Yeltsin accepted this but he did it.

Yeltsin wanted to transition Russia's economy away from the planned soviet model towards a market driven capitalist system. This required: -

1. Moving ownership of the means of production out of public hands into private ones.
  2. Creating wealthy individuals 'overnight' with money to invest and kick start the new market economy.
  3. Ensure, as far as possible, that these newly created capitalists knew to whom they should be grateful and that they would use their wealth to back him.   

Among them there are I suppose all sorts of different opinions: Proinvasion, neutral and against.
Abramovitch looks like neutral.

When Putin ousted Yeltsin, Roman had the good sense to switch his allegiance. Those that did not found themselves being stripped of their wealth. Some tried to take Putin on, some tried to run and hide but, whether he served as President or Prime minister, Putin had gathered the leavers of power into his hands and taking him on was not a successful strategy. Roman just went with the flow.

The Italian Gazzeta dello Sport  says that teams targeted by the sanctions besides Chelsea are Monaco, the Dutch Vitesse and PAOK Salonika is a question mark according to them. Also Bournemouth's Maxim Denim appears to be outside the scope of the sanctions.

Vitesse because of the links with Roman/CFC perhaps. I'm not sure of the status of that relationship now or if it still exists at all. I vaguely remember that a few years back uefa tightened the regulations and that the ties had to be rowed back as a result.

I don't know if we had German oligarchs operating in UK-USA at the start of world war II and what happened then.

At the start of the war the UK government took a pretty bizarre view of things. They refused to bomb privately owned factories because they were not organs of the German state. That didn't last but it wasn't entirely without some thinking behind it. The hope was to divorce the German people, a majority of whom always voted against the Nazis after all*, from the regime. They aimed to send the message, "We're against Hitler, not against you." In hindsight it was a naïve policy but there was some method in the madness. 

More generally, there was some internment of German nationals but this was not limited to wealthy or connected individuals only. If you were German you were liable to detention and that was perhaps understandable. The nations were at war after all. 

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

Would be pretty hilarious from a narrative POV if after all the doom and gloom about us being liquidated or entering administration a Saudi group that’s even wealthier than Roman swoops in and buys us. But the government can’t suddenly say no to this group mere months after approving of Newcastle, surely?

35 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Them...Carragher...Rio...

Fuck. I hate that whole Pool/United ex player posse that rules football media in England.

On the other hand, I'm also glad that none of our big guns became a pundit. 

Imagine having your ex player and legend talking shit about their former clubs performances. 

Emma Hayes won pundit of the year a week/ten days ago. :)

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

6 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Would be pretty hilarious from a narrative POV if after all the doom and gloom about us being liquidated or entering administration a Saudi group that’s even wealthier than Roman swoops in and buys us. But the government can’t suddenly say no to this group mere months after approving of Newcastle, surely?

The Saudi Media are less wealthy than Roman.