Roman Abramovich Thread

31 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

The Talk Chelsea bid will gazump them all....

Seeing reports now that Woody Johnson is interested. 

For the love of God, PLEASE no. He’s a huge Trumper, was given a cushy ambassadorship by Trump when he was President, is a big time funder of far right wing shitheads here in the States, and is just generally seen as an asshole.

And to make matters even worse, the NFL team he owns is one of the 2-3 worst run franchises in the league and one that every NFL fan base (including their own) clowns on for being laughably incompetent. They’re the kind of club that’s been a laughing stock for decades.

This would be the worst case scenario for us so I hope it never happens.

14 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Has anyone read any comment on CFC's situation from 3, Hyundai, Trivago, or other club sponsors?

They are probably waiting to see what happens but would have signed contracts for set periods ?

This might spur them into action - ''Roman Abramovich now faces being sanctioned by UK government BEFORE ‘£3bn’ sale of Chelsea FC''

-and he might change his mind on writing off the loan

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Seeing reports now that Woody Johnson is interested. 

For the love of God, PLEASE no. He’s a huge Trumper, was given a cushy ambassadorship by Trump when he was President, is a big time funder of far right wing shitheads here in the States, and is just generally seen as an asshole.

And to make matters even worse, the NFL team he owns is one of the 2-3 worst run franchises in the league and one that every NFL fan base (including their own) clowns on for being laughably incompetent. They’re the kind of club that’s been a laughing stock for decades.

This would be the worst case scenario for us so I hope it never happens.

Me and a few mates do a bet every year for a few quid, bit of a sweepstake in a draft style picking teams out to win the Superbowl.

The last pick is ALWAYS the Jets.

5 hours ago, Fernando said:

Owning real estate in London is a smart investment.

Only if you can realise it. I remain strongly in favour of a new build away from SB if a location can be found: -

• Cheaper since at least some of the cost can be offset by development of the SB site.
  • A larger site, with fewer restrictions e.g. line of sight issues, allows more freedom of design as well as an opportunity to benefit from improved transport links.
  • As implied in the post I'm quoting. potential stadium sponsors prefer new build over legacy venues which resist adoption of the rights name. 
5 hours ago, Fernando said:

Chelsea have their winning recent history and the appeal of London, tempered with the necessity of a new stadium, while Tottenham have the new stadium, but none of the winning pedigree of Chelsea and a less prestigious location in the north of London.

Chelsea also have no debt or at least won't have if this sale goes through on the terms Roman advertised.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

26 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Only if you can realise it. I remain strongly in favour of a new build away from SB if a location can be found: -

• Cheaper since at least some of the cost can be offset by development of the SB site.
  • A larger site, with fewer restrictions e.g. line of sight issues, allows more freedom of design as well as an opportunity to benefit from improved transport links.
  • As implied in the post I'm quoting. potential stadium sponsors prefer new build over legacy venues which resist adoption of the rights name. 

Chelsea also have no debt or at least won't have if this sale goes through on the terms Roman advertised.

I haven't put enough research into it myself but do you know if a site move will be completely shot down immediately by the CPO? I can remember the Battersea Power Station rumours, etc but were the club ever given the CPO's blessing to explore this? I would expect the CPO, in order to forfeit their position would still probably be able to negotiate some forms of guarantees which would help add security to the club.

Another point because again, I've never taken it upon myself to look into the exact arrangement but if Chelsea moved to a different site, who would benefit from the Stamford Bridge land being sold and/or developed on - the club (I would expect helping to offsite a good chunk of the stadium build costs) or the CPO?

I guess the biggest issue will be how far are you prepared to go to find an ideal location? Unfortunately in the area we're currently based it's not like many opportunities arise.

1 minute ago, Clockwork said:

The fact Adam schefter is reporting Woody Johnson interest is very worrying, he is the most plugged in journalist in sport.

Just interest tho. There are many bidders.

Kings owner is also worth just 700m so how can he buy us?

9 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Heard she puts it about a bit

What ?
The son of the original Onassis wanted to make Panionios a big club but he died.
She is a horse woman and she does n't want to be called Greek - she wants to be called French.
But she has the money.