Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

On 16 January 2012 Cahill signed for Chelsea for what was believed to be in the region of £7 million. He told the club's official website: "Chelsea is a massive club, it is a club that looks to win trophies season in season out and it is a big opportunity for me to be a part of that. Opportunities like this you can't turn down."He thanked his former club and their fans saying "This is the right move for me at the right time and I would like to thank everyone at Bolton because I've had a great four years at the football club. My spell with Wanderers has enabled me to break into the England squad, and I would particularly like to thank the fans for their support along the way. I always appreciated their backing."

He was one of Chelsea's unused substitutes in their 10 victory in the FA Cup against Queens Park Rangers on 28 January 2012. On 5 February, Cahill made his debut for Chelsea in the 33 draw against Manchester United at Stamford Bridge. On 18 March 2012, he scored his first goal in a Chelsea shirt against Leicester City, in the FA Cup, in a 52 win. Cahill scored when he rose above Wes Morgan to head the ball from six yards from a Juan Mata cross, before unveiling the word's "PRAY 4 MUAMBA" on his inner T-shirt, in support of his former Bolton team-mate Fabrice Muamba, who had collapsed in a match the day before. He scored his first league goal for the club in the following game, opening the scoring in a 21 away defeat to Manchester City.

Cahill started Chelsea's Champions League semi-final first leg against Barcelona because of an injury picked up by David Luiz in the 51 victory in the FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham Hotspur. The game finished 10, with Cahill making some crucial tackles in the second half. In the sixth minute of the Champions League semi-final second leg match against Barcelona, Cahill stretched to win the ball and went down with an hamstring injury. Although, he tried to run it off he eventually he had to be replaced by Jose Bosingwa in the thirteenth minute. Chelsea went on to win 32 on aggregate and set up a meeting with Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena in the 2012 UEFA Champions League Final. This injury sidelined him for three weeks, which meant that on 5 May 2012, he did not play but won his first trophy in the Premier League with Chelsea, the 2012 FA Cup. With the suspension's of both defender's John Terry and Branislav Ivanović, questions aroused whether Cahill, along with David Luiz, would be fit for the UEFA Champions League final, to fill the gap. On 15 May 2012, he completed his first full training session after three weeks. "We've worked really hard, all day, afternoons, and I'm fortunate enough to be back." he said. "Hopefully, I'll be fit, I will be fit, and hopefully I'll be out there if selected". He started the game, and was part of the team on 19 May 2012, that defeated Bayern Munich on penalties in the UEFA Champions League Final, to give Chelsea their first ever UEFA Champions League trophy win. He received praise for his performance especially, as he was still suffering from the injury sustained during the semi-final second leg. During his first half season at Stamford Bridge, Cahill appeared in 19 games, scoring two goals and providing one assist in 1,596 minutes on the pitch.

Cahill made his first appearance of the 2012-13 season at Chelsea's first home game on the 22nd August 2012, a 4-2 victory against Reading. When Chelsea fell behind 2-1, Cahill scored the equaliser in the 68th minute with a long-range effort.

Click here to view the record

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think he'll do quite well here.

As for wages I don't know what really happened and therefore I will not base my judgement on him for that.

I can't wait to see the iron defense of Ivanovic---Cahill--Terry---Cole get a run.

Good luck Gary and welcome! :cfc:

Don't know why he's being slagged off and his limitations being highlighted, he's not even played for us yet.

Typical Chelsea fans.

Why wait the time it will take for him to get a few Chelsea games under his belt to make well rounded and fair judgements on him when we can huff, puff and moan about his wages and ability now?!

You're no fun.