Frank Lampard

DavidEU

if you and choulou werent so Mikel obsessed you might get more credit ...FFS change the record ..I had much more time before Choulou started his one man crusade

and now you are his disciple

I'm no one's disciple, I just call a spade a spade.

I'm far from Mikel obsessed, if Mourinho doesn't want him here, he could be sold as early as January for all I care. But there's no denying he's been great in his last 5 games and yet Lampard just gets bumped into the starting 11 despite playing the statue role to perfection.

He clearly does not have the capacity to start regularly for us. Mou knows this. The problem is Mikel or Essien are neither. Also MvG injury forces Mou to play Lamps even more. Recalling Josh or buying a DLP would not necessarily solve the problem immediately as they would need time to adjust, so playng Lamps simply remains the lesser evil.

I've just read a beautifully written article by Jmikemac on his blog [Another Football Blog] that mimics almost exactly how I feel about Lampard.

A few interesting paragraphs:

A LESSON FRANK LAMPARD SHOULD HAVE LEARNT FROM BATMAN ( link to full article here)

"...Didier Drogba knew to keep his Champions League winning penalty as the last kick of his Chelsea career, knockout games aside he was on the way down as a player. Gianfranco Zola, although tempted to stay at post-Abramovich Chelsea, was probably very aware of his pushing-40. Arsene Wenger was treated like the village retard for selling Thierry Henry & Patrick Vieira, but neither reached the same heights again. My question is; when we were all watching The Dark Knight, what other film were Frank Lampard and the Chelsea board members watching?

Before I get accused of being a hater, or anti-Lampard or anything else, the man is unarguably a Chelsea great, and in my opinion, one of English football. But every week I wish a little bit more that Chelsea or Frank had made the same tough call that Batman did, and had him go out on a high.

Unlike most Chelsea fans, I didn’t want to drown Andre Villas-Boas in holy water for committing the sin of dropping Lampard every now and then. It was extreme, but I saw the rationale. The team had been reliant on Frank’s goals for years, and that was a major obstacle in creating a new way to play. Though that whole chapter was something of a disaster, Frank was definitely the Regina George of that school corridor. A spokesman for an unhappy contingent of senior players that was a bit too happy to talk. Though his performances picked up that year, it was the next season that really worried me.

The goals still flowed, but nearly everything else bothered me a bit. His overall play suffered in search of his goal record, and whenever I hinted that perhaps, slightly, maybe, possibly, a little tiny, minuscule part of me would have preferred Lampard to move on at the end of his contract last summer, I was treated like Judas and Nick Griffin’s love-child by other Chelsea fans. The latter wasn’t helped by the over the top campaign by the Britain’s sporting media to get their golden boy a new deal. Frank got some important goals, and I am delighted that he became Chelsea’s all-time leading goalscorer. But that was surely the perfect point to bow out? I think we all knew a big drop-off in performance was coming, and we are slap bang in the midst of it right now.

He hasn’t been helped by a change in system. Playing as part of the two deeper midfielders requires more positional and defensive nous than the Lampard of old required, and this seems to be an issue. Aside from that, Mourinho seems to be wanting our team to play pretty quick, counter-attacking football. Without trying to make Lampard sound painfully basic, this just doesn’t suit him, and he often slows momentum. I found myself last weekend watching Chelsea vs. Newcastle, followed by Arsenal vs. Liverpool.

While I’m not trying to start a “Lampard or ********?” debate, because it will bore me to tears. I was left shaking my head for 90 minutes at the disparity in performance between our own Frank, and Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta. Now I can’t believe I’m doing this, but I’m actually going to use stats to remind you all of what I saw last week.

Now, you tell me which of these graphs looks better? I’m not going to be shocking any of you in saying that the second is Arteta’s game, while the first is Frank’s. Without getting too technical; blue and green things are good. Red, orange and black? Not so much. Arteta was everywhere last weekend, mopping up things in defence and controlling the tempo of the game for Arsenal. He provided a fantastic pass down the flank which led to Arsenal’s opener. It’s these professional, disciplined displays punctuated by a few potentially game-changing moments which I hope for from our deeper midfielders. This is of course not reflective of an entire season, or a player’s qualities. What it did scream out to me though is that Lampard, rather than dictating and deciding games like we’re all so used to, is instead existing on the peripherals of them. This is leaving a few fans, me included, to rue Lampard’s decision to reject retirement in Los Angeles.

It’s not all Frank’s fault, he isn’t going to volunteer for the bench when picked. His age too, though often over-emphasised, is probably impeding his performances to a degree. It’s just a bit of a disappointing way for such a great career to end. I have immense respect for Frank Lampard, I just wish he was more of a Batman fan."

Actually, I just watched The Dark Night. The most important quote is: "Batman is the hero Gotham deserves, but not the hero it needs right now". But Lampard is still needed, because there are no better alternatives. Keeping Lamps always was Mou's plan A.

To leave in the moment of glory is one way, but not the only one. Lamps like Giggs, Zanetti or Maldini has pledged his career to Chelsea, he has always said he wanted to be here until Chelsea does not want him any more. No matter how bad the times are, he would always be there. And when chelsea fans start to hate him ("We will haunt him, since he can take it"), it is their problem not his. To leave after triumph is maybe the more glorious way and creates a better short time memory but to stay as long as possible is more honest.

And returning to that Batman metaphor. aFter The DArk Knight, Batman returned to save Gotham one last time even though his powers were already waning. Just as Batman, Lamps will deliver when needed the most, even though it looks unlikely these days or in other words "it always gets worse before it gets better" (Michael Caine as Alfred in TDK)

He clearly does not have the capacity to start regularly for us. Mou knows this. The problem is Mikel or Essien are neither. Also MvG injury forces Mou to play Lamps even more. Recalling Josh or buying a DLP would not necessarily solve the problem immediately as they would need time to adjust, so playng Lamps simply remains the lesser evil.

And this is pretty much it.

People saying that he's tarnishing his legacy are so far out of sync with what Chelsea supporters actually think about Lamps that it's almost laughable.

Mikel and Ramires can work in certain games, but for the majority of games we need someone with Lamps skill set. What we really need though is someone new.

I hate to see him losing his place in the first team like this- on a low.

Wish he could hang up his boots on a high when the time comes. Still a lot of time for that but now he needs to focus and earn that starting birth rather than mourinho giving it to him every week.

He definitely earned it last season under the FSW when things were going downhill for him. Most inspirational figure in English football. Hate to see him like this.

He is and always will be a much better option than the dreadful Mikel ,do we realise he cant score as many goals from this new position? ,trust me and Jose on this - until we find someone to replace Mikel, Lamps will have to start almost every game.

Ours and Jose'sproblem is the faith the club put in Mikel he is not up to it and needs to leave ,I am sure Jose has identified this ,his team selection would point to that ,Mikel is a fraud ,that is the problem we have and we need better at the club to eventually replace world class players like Lampard.

Our next game is West Ham away ,last season Mikel and Ramires played in this game they could not handle the pressure of a London derby and were awful ,Diame ran all over us in the second half ,Lampard must start,form comes and goes class is permanent .

He was absolutely dreadful against West Brom, he gave the ball away SO MANY TIMES. Probably the worst game I've ever seen Lampard play for Chelsea.

Hes been a passenger for us for ages now, it was hard enough for us to play with 11 men against Schalke but when we are struggling with 10 men and a passenger vs West Brom then well what does that tell you? If Lamps had the energy, distribution, positional and tactical knowledge that a certain player we have (whos name I won't mention because everyone seems to fucking go mental everytime is name is mentioned) then sure I wouldn't mind him playing every week but still he is 35 years old which naturally means he is lacking the fitness levels of someone who is 23-30 year old, he doesn't have those certain skills and it is costing us dearly in games. Also when your game was based on getting into goal scoring positions from midfield and you have to readjust to a holding player with much more discipline at such an older age then its easy to say that readapting can be difficult.

If the name you will not mention is Mikel,he is the slowest most immobile and unfittest player at the club,I. dont care how old he is. Debruyne is out of favour at the moment because of the Swindon game but is a better option .

Mikel, de Bruyne, whoever I don't necessarily care because I'd prefer to see someone else play there as Lampard is in really bad form right now and doesn't suit that position.

Some of the posters on TC hate Mikel a bit too much...(not gonna mention names)

Lampard has been a wonderful player for Chelsea..but unless your blind or don't understand football, he's clearly NOT suited for a deep midfield role.

If Jose wants to stick with Lampard, regardless of his poor performances, maybe we should switch to a 3-man midfield?

Some of the posters on TC hate Mikel a bit too much...(not gonna mention names)

Lampard has been a wonderful player for Chelsea..but unless your blind or don't understand football, he's clearly NOT suited for a deep midfield role.

If Jose wants to stick with Lampard, regardless of his poor performances, maybe we should switch to a 3-man midfield?

Some just seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Mikel; always seemingly bringing his name into discussion when it doesn't even call for it.